Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Completion Program for PhD
Years ago I got my BS in Liberal Studies from Excelsior by combining coursework along with DSST and CLEP exams. Later I got a graduate certificate in a Brick and Mortar University. I tried my hand at online university that had a gradiate that sucked by managed to get 18 credits before I moved back to a brick and mortar university to get a Masters in Engineering. Graduated there with a high GPA. Decided to go and study for a second masters to supplement the first.

Anyways, I'm just about ready to graduate and I'm in an interesting position. After I graduate, I'll have 96 total semester hours of graduate study with an average GPA of 3.8. I will also have a few published papers under my belt and a thesis. I frankly do not have the time or inclination to go back for another 3 to 4 years to get a Doctorate.

Are there any Doctorate degree completion programs like what Excelsior and Thomas Edison have for undergraduates?
I'm not sure that I've seen anything quite like what you describe, however there are quite a few dissertation only doctorates available internationally. They are very much self-directed and are primarily completed by publication of works. Do you have a specific area of study in mind? I'm assuming engineering?
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
tripsigg Wrote:Years ago I got my BS in Liberal Studies from Excelsior by combining coursework along with DSST and CLEP exams. Later I got a graduate certificate in a Brick and Mortar University. I tried my hand at online university that had a gradiate that sucked by managed to get 18 credits before I moved back to a brick and mortar university to get a Masters in Engineering. Graduated there with a high GPA. Decided to go and study for a second masters to supplement the first.

Anyways, I'm just about ready to graduate and I'm in an interesting position. After I graduate, I'll have 96 total semester hours of graduate study with an average GPA of 3.8. I will also have a few published papers under my belt and a thesis. I frankly do not have the time or inclination to go back for another 3 to 4 years to get a Doctorate.

Are there any Doctorate degree completion programs like what Excelsior and Thomas Edison have for undergraduates?

No.
....filling the rest of my 10 character minimum...
" Masters in Engineering. Graduated there with a high GPA. "

what exactly is the point of the PhD

there's another thread where they're discussing Masters degrees and Return On Investment
http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...-what.html

and many people are saying for some areas a masters just isn't worth the money

what do you hope or expect to get after investing time and money on a PhD

with a masters in engineering you should have no problem getting a job
and if you didn't want a technical job you could even teach at a community college or possibly high school

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 3,402 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  DBA Degree from UCAM by Westford doyouhowdo1 35 4,556 02-04-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  advice sought on doctoral program EducationSeeker 9 1,201 10-29-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Dr.Philos. – another route to a Norway doctoral degree durain 0 491 10-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: durain
Question Absolute cheapest online JD program? Randyb100 22 11,448 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: nkout1983
  Doctoral Degree ThatBankDude 10 3,165 08-26-2023, 07:01 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Cost of South College DBA program? EducationSeeker 16 2,684 08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  opinions on SSBM DBA program? EducationSeeker 53 12,421 07-14-2023, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Purdue University Doctor of Technology Program JTP 12 3,597 05-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Last Post: JTP
  South College - EdD Program jb0433 19 4,142 03-01-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: cc95