Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Programs Heavy on Exams/Light on Papers
I'm going through this Walden U free term, and I'm finding I very much do not like having to write giant papers, developing large projects. I would much prefer a program that's heavy on Exams/Assessments than writing a lot of papers. 

Which regionally accredited online Master's programs feature heavy on the exam side and light on the paper-writing side?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • acamp
Generally, STEM programs require less writing. I've also found that traditional universities tend to require less writing than non-traditional universities. Even though I was in a social science major for my first master's, I didn't write as much in it as what's required by Walden. I would write one 5 to 7-page paper and one 10 to 15-page paper per course. Sometimes, I had the option of doing a PowerPoint instead of a paper. We also had required discussion board posts. My first master's was earned at a traditional, public university.

I'm also at a public university for my second master's, but it's in medical science. I was briefly in their microbiology program. Neither program requires a lot of writing. The longest paper I've written so far has been seven pages, but I was supposed to stay under six. We have discussion board posts. Most of the courses are based on multiple choice exams, and we have short essay questions for the mid-term and final. The series of forensic medicine courses consist of short answer questions or 1 to 3-page papers every week.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-31-2019, 05:57 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I'm going through this Walden U free term, and I'm finding I very much do not like having to write giant papers, developing large projects. I would much prefer a program that's heavy on Exams/Assessments than writing a lot of papers. 

Which regionally accredited online Master's programs feature heavy on the exam side and light on the paper-writing side?

I too would love to find a master’s degree program in education that is test-heavy and definitely light on the papers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • ReyMysterioso
I really like writing in general. I'm a professional writer and I mostly enjoyed all the papers I wrote for undergrad.
But Walden's specific rubric system makes one a slave to regurgitating this stuff they want you to regurgitate in an extremely specific manner. And other projects are 10+ pages. Absolutely sucks all the joy out of learning.

I think I'm just gonna roll all these HES Poetry in America courses into an ALM in English at Harvard. That's probably the way to go. But if it doesn't work out, due to potential cost and travel budget/sechedule restrictions, I may seek a more traditional University as a fall-back plan. U of Alabama has some really affordable online programs that interest me.
I think all competency-based programs are like that. You don't really have instructors; you have paper graders and mentors who are dealing with hundreds of students in different stages of the program. So, it's all about sticking to a very detailed rubric.

Other than creative writing, my favorite papers to write are reflection papers.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This is one of the main reasons I haven't looked into MBA's. I just do not want to write papers. Ugh!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-01-2019, 04:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is one of the main reasons I haven't looked into MBA's.  I just do not want to write papers.  Ugh!

I get this. I just submitted my first paper for my first MBA course and it was 19 pages. I'll be done with the second paper tomorrow but it is looking to be about 10-12 pages.

Out of the 11 courses in my degree plan, 6 of them only require papers (or projects) and 4 only require exams, one course requires both an exam and two papers. Those that require papers typically require 2 or 3 of them for each course.

I'm not enjoying all the writing, but at least it is in an area I'm already well-versed.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The courses that require both exams and papers.... Are the papers on those at least shorter due to there also being an exam?
(04-02-2019, 10:12 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: The courses that require both exams and papers.... Are the papers on those at least shorter due to there also being an exam?

I assume so, but I won't know until I get there. Well, I suppose I could look it up but I don't really need to worry about it for a while yet.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-31-2019, 06:44 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I really like writing in general. I'm a professional writer and I mostly enjoyed all the papers I wrote for undergrad.
But Walden's specific rubric system makes one a slave to regurgitating this stuff they want you to regurgitate in an extremely specific manner. And other projects are 10+ pages. Absolutely sucks all the joy out of learning.

I think I'm just gonna roll all these HES Poetry in America courses into an ALM in English at Harvard. That's probably the way to go. But if it doesn't work out, due to potential cost and travel budget/sechedule restrictions, I may seek a more traditional University as a fall-back plan. U of Alabama has some really affordable online programs that interest me.

I'm going to be starting a Master's at U of Alabama in the fall (financial planning). So far, I can tell you that the service/marketing is the exact opposite of these online degree programs. They are super slow and want you to pursue them, not the other way around. A big change from WGU. My program mentor has been really quick, helpful, and on top of things, but not the school itself. I didn't get my official acceptance letter until 6 weeks after my application was marked as accepted online.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 14 509 5 hours ago
Last Post: Leedeedee
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 288 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 599 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  ENEB - exams MCDL 118 15,185 04-15-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 497 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 18,025 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,119 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 436 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,852 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 625 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas