Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree-hacking for engineers?
If he's able to pass all those AP courses, he should also be trying for academic scholarships to traditional universities.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • bruh, sanantone
(04-27-2023, 10:40 AM)davewill Wrote: If he's able to pass all those AP courses, he should also be trying for academic scholarships to traditional universities.

I agree. The traditional route is usually better for teens. He can also look into community colleges with block transfer agreements with California universities. They might let him CLEP out of gen ed courses. That way, he can earn an engineering degree for less.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • bruh
You should seek an EE's help to align the necessary needed body of knowledge. The path for engineering start from an ABET Bachelor (Master can only subs this in like 2 states) => EIT => PE. For Environmental, to get to become an EIT, there's a Fundamental of Engineer Exam in Environmental when you are fresh outta college, and 4y later a Principal &Practice of Engineering exam to officiate one to become a licensed Professional Engineer.

https://ncees.org/exams/fe-exam/
https://ncees.org/exams/pe-exam/environmental/

Check out the two exams and make sure to get courses in at least 80% of the material covered, with each topic is typically one UG course. Unfortunately because of this, there is not really a quick way to get around engineering credit, and neither attempting to is recommended. Remember, Engineers are the experts that easily hold thousands of people's life in their hand with their decision, so I wouldn't recommend you skipping by any topic. A relevant one for you it might be a basic chemistry problem about lead poisoning that go undetected in a waste-water project.

If you absolutely hate literature then fine, go get all of the gen-ed fulfilled with alt credit. Even Physics and Chems can be taken online. But not any engineering course should be accepted without a thorough understanding, and those courses are what build up your experience, and that experience earn you high-paying jobs. Good engineering programs also teach you team work and collaboration, which is absolutely needed in the corporate world. We don't simply just get it; we get it because we proved that we can do more than what our peers can do and not just sit around. But do check again on the regulation of where you want to practice in the future to make sure that you are aware of all required boxes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silvious's post:
  • bruh
Great template and last post addendum update, as I mentioned earlier, it's best to work on the AP/CLEP and dual enrolment especially since you can get the associates free. The main reason is for the graded RA if you wanted to transfer into another 4 year institution to complete the degree of choice. Generally for these programs, they want to take a look at the GPA and you need at least 30+ credits. With dual enrolment, you get there cheaper/faster, once done with the associates, you can ladder to the Bachelors of choice, use the free tuition for courses that can't be completed with AP/CLEP - the prerequisites to the ABET Bachelors or entry to a Masters that doesn't require the ABET.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bruh
As most have stated....you can probably accelerate the bs gen ed stuff fast but engineering is sequential in nature. I would also add that depending on your friend's career goal....getting the correct degree with ABET accreditation is key if you want to ever become a professional engineer or some higher end engineering jobs. I know many engineers and you ultimately have a pay your dues with a rigorous undergrad which is a main reason it is a well compensated field. If still in your younger years just do it correctly now versus hacking it. I knew a friend that did two years at CC and two years at a highly regarded top 20 engineering school so it can be done cheaper overall with that approach if the student knows the transfer policies. Hack/accelerate the first two years and acknowledge the last two years are for building engineering skills that will pay great dividends immediately after graduation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 16 656 04-23-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 319 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,226 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 5,031 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 4,088 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 864 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,696 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,322 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,307 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,187 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM