Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan that takes WGU credits?
Hello,
I took a few classes  at our local college here and then transferred to WGU for an accounting degree. I had to take a break because of finances and they changed the program during that time and I decided not to go back. I am now trying to finish any degree that might be useful and might take some of my credits that I already have. I assume the local college credits should transfer to TESU but do WGU credits transfer anywhere? Should I sign up for Sophia and try to get any other gen eds that might be needed? Thinking after that maybe study.com for any UL that might work. Really I am open to any school and any degree that will take most of what I have already and I can do online. If I have to start over then I want the cheapest way.

Thank you for all the help!

Transferred from community college-
C455 English Composition I  
C718 Microeconomics 
C719 Macroeconomics 
UFC1 Managerial Accounting
VYC1 Principles of Accounting

Completed at WGU-
C165 Integrated Physical Sciences
C268 Spreadsheets
C278 College Algebra
C456 English Composition II
C463 Intermediate Algebra
C464 Introduction to Communication
C708 Principles of Finance
C713 Business Law
C714 Business Strategy
C715 Organizational Behavior
CZC1 Accounting II
FVC1 Global Business
C237 Taxation I
C241 Business Law for Accountants
C248 Intermediate Accounting I
C483 Principles of Management
C712 Marketing Fundamentals
C723 Quantitative Analysis For Business
(08-27-2020, 11:47 PM)jsthreeb Wrote: Hello,
I took a few classes  at our local college here and then transferred to WGU for an accounting degree. I had to take a break because of finances and they changed the program during that time and I decided not to go back. I am now trying to finish any degree that might be useful and might take some of my credits that I already have. I assume the local college credits should transfer to TESU but do WGU credits transfer anywhere? Should I sign up for Sophia and try to get any other gen eds that might be needed? Thinking after that maybe study.com for any UL that might work. Really I am open to any school and any degree that will take most of what I have already and I can do online. If I have to start over then I want the cheapest way.

Thank you for all the help!

Transferred from community college-
C455 English Composition I  
C718 Microeconomics 
C719 Macroeconomics 
UFC1 Managerial Accounting
VYC1 Principles of Accounting

Completed at WGU-
C165 Integrated Physical Sciences
C268 Spreadsheets
C278 College Algebra
C456 English Composition II
C463 Intermediate Algebra
C464 Introduction to Communication
C708 Principles of Finance
C713 Business Law
C714 Business Strategy
C715 Organizational Behavior
CZC1 Accounting II
FVC1 Global Business
C237 Taxation I
C241 Business Law for Accountants
C248 Intermediate Accounting I
C483 Principles of Management
C712 Marketing Fundamentals
C723 Quantitative Analysis For Business

It really depends on the school and the degree you are seeking but most of these courses look like gen ed/core for a business degree and should transfer to a number of schools.  I would suggest you submit transcripts to the big 3 and see which school will take the most credits.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

(08-27-2020, 11:47 PM)jsthreeb Wrote: I took a few classes  at our local college here and then transferred to WGU for an accounting degree. I had to take a break because of finances and they changed the program during that time and I decided not to go back. I am now trying to finish any degree that might be useful and might take some of my credits that I already have. I assume the local college credits should transfer to TESU but do WGU credits transfer anywhere?

WGU is a legitimate regionally-accredited university just like any other college or university. Regional accreditation is the gold standard, so their credits will transfer anywhere that accepts credit transfers. Whether that be TESU or more a prestigious college. I don't know why you'd assume that they would not transfer. It isn't like WGU is unaccredited or something. They are one of the largest colleges in the US.

However, the rub with WGU is that their course balance is more closely aligned with the European system than the US system. So the majority of credits are in the core/major and only like 25-35% are GenEd credits. Most US colleges have a 50/50 balance between GenEd and core/major courses. So transferring from WGU to another school often means that you will need to take extra GenEd courses at the target school to make up any deficit.

(08-27-2020, 11:47 PM)jsthreeb Wrote: Should I sign up for Sophia and try to get any other gen eds that might be needed? Thinking after that maybe study.com for any UL that might work. Really I am open to any school and any degree that will take most of what I have already and I can do online. If I have to start over then I want the cheapest way.

It looks like you have 23 courses completed, which is around 69 credits.

From a time and cost perspective, you will be better off just finishing off at WGU. It looks like you only need 15-17 more courses to graduate and you can easily finish those at WGU in 1-2 terms. Or, you could take some of them from alt. credit providers, transfer them in, and finish the balance at WGU to guarantee a single term finish. Technically you could complete all of the courses from alt. credit providers except the capstone (and any other non-transferable courses) since you already met the 30 credit minimum residency. If you have any intention to consider grad school in the future, the more courses you take directly from WGU, the better off you'll be. Alt. Ed courses don't look that great on a grad school application.

WGU is generally the fastest and least expensive college option as long as you time things properly so you can finish in a single term. However, if you don't want to complete your degree at WGU for some reason, your next best bet would be to look at COSC as they are the least expensive of the Big 3 (though a bit more expensive than WGU). They require 24 RA credits, plus 6 residency credits, but you have way more than that. You can transfer in the balance of credits from alt. credit providers like Sophia, StraighterLine, and Study.com.

If COSC doesn't work for you, then you can look at EC and TESU. TESU is the most expensive of the Big 3, with EC falling between COSC and TESU in overall cost. Keep in mind that you'll have to complete at least two traditional 15-week courses (cornerstone and capstone) at any of the big 3 though and then wait for the next graduation cycle which will add 4-6 months to your graduation timeline.

If you want to consider transferring to one of the Big 3, I recommend applying to all 3 and submitting your transcripts to each of them to see what they come back with and then go with whichever school gives you the best transfer balance.

If you're transferring to another school under the same major you had when you earned the credits (accounting it sounds like) you are likely to see a larger number of courses transfer into the target degree program. But, if you're changing majors then fewer courses will transfer into the new degree. This applies no matter what school you are transferring from or to.

If you go back to WGU, I assume you'll retain 100% of your credits if you stay in the accounting program. If you transfer to one of the Big 3 in for an accounting degree (or business admin with an accounting focus) you should come in pretty close to max. If you aim for a liberal arts degree you'll get slightly less but also pretty close to max. Beyond that, you'll get fewer and fewer credits applied.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 179 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 86 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 166 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 148 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,764 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 213 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,563 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 579 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 127 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 217 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM