Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DegreeForum security
Hi there. Who do we contact about the degree forum security? On the login page there’s a non secured item that loads that compromised the lock.
You could try using the contact form here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/contact.php
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Unfortunately, degreeforum.net defaults to plain HTTP for pages and content. Sometimes this gives the annoying insecure content issue you describe. Worse, they haven't set the secure flag on session cookies. You may be able to work around this in your browser. Some web browsers, including Chrome, allow you to manually force domains to use HTTPS all the time. Everything on degreeforum.net that I've found works just fine with HTTPS, someone just needs to set that to be the default.

If you're using Chrome, open a new tab to chrome://net-internals/#hsts
At the top, under "Add HSTS domain", enter degreeforum.net, check the box to include subdomains, and click add. This adds the domain to Chrome's HTTP Strict Transport Security list - instructing the browser to always use HTTPS.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(02-14-2021, 07:22 PM)jch Wrote: Unfortunately, degreeforum.net defaults to plain HTTP for pages and content. Sometimes this gives the annoying insecure content issue you describe. Worse, they haven't set the secure flag on session cookies. You may be able to work around this in your browser. Some web browsers, including Chrome, allow you to manually force domains to use HTTPS all the time. Everything on degreeforum.net that I've found works just fine with HTTPS, someone just needs to set that to be the default.  

If you're using Chrome, open a new tab to chrome://net-internals/#hsts
At the top, under "Add HSTS domain", enter degreeforum.net, check the box to include subdomains, and click add. This adds the domain to Chrome's HTTP Strict Transport Security list - instructing the browser to always use HTTPS.

Or you can just install an extension called "HTTPS Everywhere". That is what I use, and it automatically enables HTTPS on every site that will support it (though you can configure stuff on a site-by-site basis as well), so I have never seen that message.

My guess is that using HTTP for pages and content is just a means to reduce CPU load on the webserver. I bet it is the default for the MyBB forum software itself.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is DegreeForum so SLOW lately? dfrecore 64 3,798 02-21-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: housecat
  IT worker keeps 2 jobs for income security indigoshuffle 1 500 02-10-2024, 08:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 606 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  DegreeForum LinkedIn Networking ashkir 16 1,978 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DegreeForum having issues? bjcheung77 4 812 05-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question: DegreeForum Investment bjcheung77 3 1,115 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Tedium
Big Grin Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! jsd 11 2,727 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Life_One
  DegreeForum Referral vetvso 11 2,571 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Degreeforum Connection Issues? quigongene 1 1,181 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: davewill
  CS grads with security clearance Sparklette 0 787 03-28-2018, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Sparklette