Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northeastern CPS
Hello! Earlier this year, I completed Coursera's Google IT support professional certificate at Coursera, which is potentially worth four classes towards a BS in information technology at Northeastern's College of Professional Studies. This is quite enticing, but I'm a bit concerned about the application process. Does the CPS take pretty much everyone who applies? They require a resume and - for non-transfer students - a HS transcript. I have an unimpressive resume and my performance in HS, now 30 years gone, was deplorable. I have 31 ACE credits (which it doesn't look like they accept) but nothing else. Should I take a class somewhere to get official college credit? The application says that if you're transferring credit in, you can attest instead of submitting a HS transcript. Finally, should I take any CLEP/DSSTs before applying? I would take a bunch of them if I decide to pursue this. Thank you for any insight.
(10-03-2019, 06:04 AM)inapickle Wrote: Hello! Earlier this year, I completed Coursera's Google IT support professional certificate at Coursera, which is potentially worth four classes towards a BS in information technology at Northeastern's College of Professional Studies. This is quite enticing, but I'm a bit concerned about the application process. Does the CPS take pretty much everyone who applies? They require a resume and - for non-transfer students - a HS transcript. I have an unimpressive resume and my performance in HS, now 30 years gone, was deplorable. I have 31 ACE credits (which it doesn't look like they accept) but nothing else. Should I take a class somewhere to get official college credit? The application says that if you're transferring credit in, you can attest instead of submitting a HS transcript. Finally, should I take any CLEP/DSSTs before applying? I would take a bunch of them if I decide to pursue this. Thank you for any insight.

I would email and ask, it is unlikely that they are "evaluating" you based on your high school transcript rather they are probably just confirming your graduation. Programs that target adults have nearly 100% acceptance rates, getting in will not be an issue.

But yes, do absolutely each and every credit you can DIY in advance. Bring that total down as low as possible before you start paying full price tuition!!
Also, you're ok with losing 31 credits? That's a YEAR of college. A YEAR.
Northeastern charges $541 per credit - which means you're paying $16,771 to earn credit you already earned. Then, what about the opportunity cost? -The extra time spent in class instead of working while you re-earn those credit. You could lose 6 months- 1 year of salary.
IT isn't my specialty, but many here will be able to suggest alternatives that don't make you give up a year of credit.
You're making the mistake of looking backwards instead of forwards, a mistake many people make. Looking backwards is saying "how many of these credits that I've already taken will this school accept," while looking forwards says "how many credits and what is the cost of going to this school?"

For instance, at NE, even if they took all 31cr you've received, it will still cost $48k and 3 years to complete your degree. If you take those same credits to TESU or WGU, even if they didn't take ANY of your credits, you'd spend less than $10k for a degree starting from scratch.

But, because you have 31cr of ACE, you have a good chance of TESU and/or WGU being even faster/cheaper, and NE being even longer/more expensive. So it's a no-brainer there. Look somewhere other than NE IMHO.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
Thanks for the good advice. I've also been strongly considering WGU and finally decided to just apply and see how my credits evaluate. I doubt they'll all transfer, but it feels good to take this step. For me, there are advantages and disadvantages to both WGU and Northeastern, and I've really been waffling back and forth about it. However, going in circles is not moving forward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mills to merge with Northeastern? Alpha 13 1,565 08-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: wow
  Vermont - Northeastern Baptist College bjcheung77 5 1,203 01-07-2022, 04:49 PM
Last Post: openair
  Northeastern Illinois University (NIU) has a BA with only 24 Resident Credits Life Long Learning 2 1,076 09-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning