Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you take College Composition w/ essay?
So tomorrow is the big day! I'm going to take the College Composition test. I'm really nervous about it. I'm mostly nervous about the essay part. I'm required to write 2 essays in 70 minutes! That feels like very little time. I practiced a lot. I wrote a ton of essays and drove my dear friend crazy. She was chosen to critique me...lol...

Did anyone take this clep test? Any advice?

Pray for me...
You will do great. If it's any help, remember:

Read the instructions and identify the type of essay you are being asked to write (Proposal, argument, comparison, close reading analysis, classification, etc.)

Introductory paragraph
-Introduce topic
-THESIS STATEMENT (Natural sentence, not a statement of intent)
--List supporting argument paragraph topics as part of thesis statement; you can use a semi-colon to put two complete sentences together and make sure the list of paragraphs one, two and three are included in a single thesis sentence Smile

First argument topic paragraph
Use transitional phrase, e.g. "Firstly, ..."
-First sentence states topic
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence
---Final sentence restates argument topic and sets up next paragraph

Second argument topic paragraph
Use transitional phrase, e.g. "Meanwhile/Next/Moving on..."
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence

Third argument topic paragraph (possible inclusion of counter-argument)
Use transitional phrase
--Body supports argument topic stated in first sentence (i.e., refutation of counter-argument)

Conclusion paragraph
"In conclusion..."
-Recap argument topics
-Recap thesis statement
-Close on a nice line

If you have time, check your grammar and punctuation. Five sentences per paragraph is enough. Cut to two body paragraphs if time is hurting or ideas are short Smile Simple, structured language is better than attempting to defenestrate the epitome of a cornucopia of concise anti-sophistry, etc.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
[-] The following 2 users Like irnbru's post:
  • lucindaperry, meiz2020
Thanks!
Yes, that was helpful... it always helps to reframe...
I appreciate your 'in depth' response.
Hey, thanks for posting this info. I am taking English clep w/ essay, so this was useful for me too.
Principles of Accounting I - B&M
Principles of Accounting II - B&M
Intermediate Accounting I - B&M
Macro Economics - B&M
Computer Concepts & Applications - B&M
Computer Business Applications - B&M
Computerized Accounting - B&M
Language (12 credits) - NYU
Business Law - DSST
Principles of Management - CLEP
Intro to Marketing - CLEP
Fraud Examination - LSU
Business Communication - Clovis Community College
Database Design - Clovis Community College
[SIZE=1]EMT-B NJ (4 credits)
FEMA (8 credits)

[/SIZE]
Great post. I am forwarding it to people I know that will be taking this exam. Thanks.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I took the test today. The first part was really simple. The essay part, however, was not easy.
The first essay was doable but the second one was challenging. In the second essay they required me to read an introduction, plus two cited sources, and then form an opinion. I had to cite and quote those sources. I felt that the timing was too short. I finished up with my heart in my hands and had no time to even read through it.

I hope I did well.

Now comes the "let's test your patience" part... I have to wait at least two weeks for results.

P.S. For those of you who are planning to take the English Composition w/ essay- it is no longer available. It was replaced with College Composition.
I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!

I am sooooo relieved!

Happycamper, thanks for recommending that book. It was the best!

Inbru, your input was exactly what I needed on the day of the test! You were clear, precise, and to the point. Thank you!
I took the test 2 weeks ago and was supposed to receive results today, do they email them to me?

-Jake
I received the results in the mail.
What book did Happycamper recommend for you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 600 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 391 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Has anyone taken the english composition 2 tecep test? bobby123 23 5,131 10-13-2023, 01:13 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Analyzing and Interp Lit Essay ??? edbrain 13 4,787 08-10-2023, 10:07 PM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  College composition citing requirements Ninjyata 7 1,993 06-15-2022, 11:01 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TECEP College Algebra petethejuggler 12 1,890 04-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior College Writing Cmglaser08 14 1,619 04-19-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  CLEP College Composition = English Comp I + II thecontrarian 2 2,054 07-27-2021, 03:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Average time for college to receive the test scores? sri 1 1,019 07-22-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: jch
  Excelsior college writing Cmglaser08 1 834 07-15-2021, 12:56 AM
Last Post: rachel83az