Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences in BALS between EC and TESU?
Hi all,
I've really loved working off of my TESU degree plan from dfrecore (TESU BALS with GM concentration) because it's given me a path to keep chugging along and finally a clear one. But now I've been thinking of the possibility of moving elsewhere, and it's because of this stupid SOS-110. This was the same class that made me quit GCU because it was pure hell. Every week an essay with citations and blah blah. I just HATED it. I passed with an A- and that's only because I didn't even do my final essay so I can do the work, I just don't want to do that again. And also the residency waiver is bugging me now too. 

I know COSC requires a cornerstone also - I'm assuming it's the same type of class?

So that leaves me with just EC?  I looked over their BALS course requirements and the differences seemed to be the UL requirements are 30 whereas TESU is 18. What else am I overlooking?

FWIW, here are my current classes:

Eng Comp I (in progress) SDC
Com 108: Communication in the Workplace SDC
SOCI-1101 Principles of Sociology - Seton Hall University
PHIL-1105 Ethics - Seton Hall
POS 101 - American Govt - SL
PSYC-1101 Intro to Psych - Seton Hall
ECON-1402 Princ of Econ - Seton Hall
PHIL-1104 Logic - Seton Hall
CJ 101 - Intro to Criminal Justice - SL
ENV 101 - Intro to Env Science - SL
IT 101 - IT Fundamentals - SL
UNV 104 - 21st Century Comm & Info Literacy - Grand Canyon Univ
BMIS 2701 - Mgmt Info Systems - Seton Hall
REL 101 - Intro to Religion - SL
CIV 101 - Western Civilization - SL
USHIST 101 - US History I - SL
UNV 103 - University Success - Grand Canyon Univ
Principles of Supervision - SDC
Personal Finance - SDC
Here's To Your Health - SDC
Developing Effective Teams - Sophia

To throw a monkey wrench in this whole thing, I also looked over the BSLS at EC and LOVE the Core Population Health courses. Any ideas how my classes already taken would fit into that and also, if those types of courses were available to take elsewhere?

I know this was a lot of info but I had to get it out of my head to get opinions from you guys so thanks for reading!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
(05-17-2019, 09:03 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: Hi all,
I've really loved working off of my TESU degree plan from dfrecore (TESU BALS with GM concentration) because it's given me a path to keep chugging along and finally a clear one. But now I've been thinking of the possibility of moving elsewhere, and it's because of this stupid SOS-110. This was the same class that made me quit GCU because it was pure hell. Every week an essay with citations and blah blah. I just HATED it. I passed with an A- and that's only because I didn't even do my final essay so I can do the work, I just don't want to do that again. And also the residency waiver is bugging me now too. 

I know COSC requires a cornerstone also - I'm assuming it's the same type of class?

So that leaves me with just EC?  I looked over their BALS course requirements and the differences seemed to be the UL requirements are 30 whereas TESU is 18. What else am I overlooking?

FWIW, here are my current classes:

Eng Comp I (in progress) SDC
Com 108: Communication in the Workplace SDC
SOCI-1101 Principles of Sociology - Seton Hall University
PHIL-1105 Ethics - Seton Hall
POS 101 - American Govt - SL
PSYC-1101 Intro to Psych - Seton Hall
ECON-1402 Princ of Econ - Seton Hall
PHIL-1104 Logic - Seton Hall
CJ 101 - Intro to Criminal Justice - SL
ENV 101 - Intro to Env Science - SL
IT 101 - IT Fundamentals - SL
UNV 104 - 21st Century Comm & Info Literacy - Grand Canyon Univ
BMIS 2701 - Mgmt Info Systems - Seton Hall
REL 101 - Intro to Religion - SL
CIV 101 - Western Civilization - SL
USHIST 101 - US History I - SL
UNV 103 - University Success - Grand Canyon Univ
Principles of Supervision - SDC
Personal Finance - SDC
Here's To Your Health - SDC
Developing Effective Teams - Sophia

To throw a monkey wrench in this whole thing, I also looked over the BSLS at EC and LOVE the Core Population Health courses. Any ideas how my classes already taken would fit into that and also, if those types of courses were available to take elsewhere?

I know this was a lot of info but I had to get it out of my head to get opinions from you guys so thanks for reading!

While EC doesn't have a cornerstone they do have a 1 credit information literacy requirement which I've heard is similar to TES-100. Basically, a self paced course that takes a few hours to complete. All of the big 3 now require at least two courses for a bachelors but EC only requires that in 4 credits (3 credits capstone + 1 credit info lit). If someone who went to Excelsior could chime on the info lit that would be great. But I'm pretty sure it is a super quick course. It is graded as CR/NC.

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/informa...quirement/

https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...ation-.pdf

EDIT: Maybe you could try to see if you GCU info lit course would meet this requirement.
(05-18-2019, 10:25 AM)natshar Wrote: While EC doesn't have a cornerstone they do have a 1 credit information literacy requirement which I've heard is similar to TES-100. Basically, a self paced course that takes a few hours to complete. All of the big 3 now require at least two courses for a bachelors but EC only requires that in 4 credits (3 credits capstone + 1 credit info lit). If someone who went to Excelsior could chime on the info lit that would be great. But I'm pretty sure it is a super quick course. It is graded as CR/NC.

https://www.excelsior.edu/policy/informa...quirement/

https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl...ation-.pdf

EDIT: Maybe you could try to see if you GCU info lit course would meet this requirement.

EC's Info Lit requirement can be transferred in, so you should be fine with that.

As for the degree you're looking at, it can't be tested out of. Just an FYI.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks dfrecore - I didn’t think so but had fingers crossed just in case. It sounds so interesting to me.

Are the costs between them that much different if I complete everything besides cornerstone and capstone? Does EC have some sort of other cost or is maybe graduation crazy expensive?

Trying to weigh them out and find differences between them if I continue with a BALS. Are there any courses that seem to be questionable that EC may not take? Do they happen to take TECEP?

Thanks in advance!
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
Starting from scratch, and bringing in the max credits (so 117 for EC and 114 for TESU), TESU is about $1500 more than EC. EC has an Enrollment fee of $1095, so you shouldn't enroll there until you're ready to take your capstone and graduate. It is good for a year, but I certainly wouldn't want to pay that fee until I was 100% sure I was ready to graduate. If something happened, and you weren't able to take your capstone and graduate, that would be a lot of money wasted. At least at TESU, you don't pay the residency waiver until you apply for graduation.

And yes, they will take TECEP's.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much for that, dfrecore!
Started June 2022

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 1,250 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 934 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,521 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,322 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,129 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,557 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,092 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 3,968 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2
  Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation? FrHaseKopf 9 1,257 02-12-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  CUNY BS-IS VS TESU BSBA-GM JC39 34 5,568 02-07-2022, 05:31 PM
Last Post: MrPanda