Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discouraging!
taltal11 Wrote:Big Grin It was TCC. I was especially surprised that she was discouraging me because of all of the military around here.

I'm over it now, because I think she just didn't know and some people cannot admit that they don't know about something so they feel they have to talk about it and pretend they know.

I am going to schedule my next test and avoid the counseling office from now on. Rolleyes

That's a good idea for you--but I think someone needs to deal with HER. If you could either PM me or reply here with her name or description, I'd be happy to follow up with them to find out why you received the information you did. If, in fact, any part of it is based on information they've received, then we all deserve to know what that is so we can plan our future programs. If it was completely made-up by one rogue counselor (as I'm sure it was) then her supervisor must be made aware of this. I'm happy to send along an email anonymously describing the experience a student recently had and asking for clarification with regard to the school's position.

I understand if you may not want to make waves--but for the sake of the steady stream of students who will be misguided by this person, I think it's worthwhile to bring this to someone's attention at the very least.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
I am also very curious concerning these "methods" of deterring students from CLEPS, DSSTs etc...if this is the case. I am originally from the Virginia Beach area & had many issues w/the couseling staff during my tenure @ TCC. I believe TCC & many community colleges are losing big $ due to testing-out options, new internet opportunities for students etc, but they should not be lying to students. This is an ethical issue and I'm sure that thier accreditation body would be very interested to hear this.

Keep your chin up and push on. Don't let the "MAN" get you down. KEEP ON TESTING!!!!Cool
[SIZE="5"]Lanny[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]CLEPs PASSED[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Psych[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Educational Psych[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]American Government[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Western Civ I[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Prin of Management[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences+History[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]A+I Lit [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Humanities[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]DSST's Passed[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Public Speaking[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Alc. and Drug Abuse[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to LE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Criminal Justice[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Prin. of Supervision[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Human Resources Management[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Computing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Heres to your health[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Enviro&Humanity[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Human Cultural Geography
[SIZE="1"]Anthropology[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Astronomy[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Organizational Behavior[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Ethics in America[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Fund. of Counseling[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Lifespan Developmental Psych[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Art of the Western World[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]ALEKS Intermediate Algebra[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Vietnam War[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Western Europe since 1945[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]FEMA 18 credits[/SIZE]

DONESmile
They want your money, So ignore her and tell her you are going to report her,
And walk away laughing , She won't have a clue as to what to think!
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
I believe TCC & many community colleges are losing big $ due to testing-out options, new internet opportunities for students etc, but they should not be lying to students. This is an ethical issue and I'm sure that thier accreditation body would be very interested to hear this. >>

Our community college (accepts CLEP) charges $15 administration fee to give you the exam, then $19 per credit to "transcript" it for you.

Besides, you'll never prove it.

You give the advisors too much credit- I'd be willing to bet they are, in fact, just clueless- not malicious.
taltal11 Wrote:Big Grin It was TCC. I was especially surprised that she was discouraging me because of all of the military around here.

I'm over it now, because I think she just didn't know and some people cannot admit that they don't know about something so they feel they have to talk about it and pretend they know.

I am going to schedule my next test and avoid the counseling office from now on. Rolleyes
TCC told me the same thing a few years ago, so i went to another school. Testing out should be a big part of everyone's education especially those people in the TCC area. They are all military or military dependents. My wife went there and she said some days people would show up in uniform (for whatever reason) and she was one of the few that weren't in the navy or marines. I am rather upset about colleges not making cleps more available especially to military members.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
Not only have I heard nothing about phasing out Cleps, my school advisor at Granite State College, is so excited about my success with cleps they want me to write a paper on study sources and tips. I told them about InstaCert and a couple other sources I used and how I prepare. The thing that blows me away is not only do you pass the tests, you actually acquire knowlege, not just memorization. Keep Clepping!
cookderosa Wrote:[...]
You give the advisors too much credit- I'd be willing to bet they are, in fact, just clueless- not malicious.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never assume malice when ignorance will suffice."

Since I started my CLEP odyssey almost a year ago, I've been amazed at how few people know what a CLEP is. (I had known about them for a very long time, but didn't see them as something useful to me until I started researching.) I work with a lot of highly educated people, most with post-graduate degrees, and even they don't know what CLEPs are. And these are super-smart types who easily could have CLEPed out of at least their freshman years. Sad!
Kelly
BS, History - Excelsior College - 2011
Scholar Interrupted Wrote:Hanlon's Razor: "Never assume malice when ignorance will suffice."

Since I started my CLEP odyssey almost a year ago, I've been amazed at how few people know what a CLEP is. (I had known about them for a very long time, but didn't see them as something useful to me until I started researching.) I work with a lot of highly educated people, most with post-graduate degrees, and even they don't know what CLEPs are. And these are super-smart types who easily could have CLEPed out of at least their freshman years. Sad!

Regardless if this is malice or ignorance the result is the same, and should be dealt with.
I'd just like to address the one post by Geezer in which she basically rips all "counselors". My counselor at Penn State recommended the CLEP to me. She is very competent, very accomodating, and very dedicated to her role. Stereotyping someone because they are of a certain profession is no different than saying all women can't drive.
Good thing you are all intelligent people who are well informed, I was almost discouraged just reading the first part of taltal 11 thread. I am however happy to know that all that talk by that particular counsellor was "just talk".

I must agree with DetroitSki, some of those higher education institutions are more like money making projects, one of their main focus is not assisting students to attain a college/university education but instead making a profit.

I say sick to the task and look ahead.