Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donating Plasma
Well, I went through a long period where I was saving up for a move, and then about six months when my girlfriend was out of work and I was having to pay more expensive rent. In that time, I had to not apply for my second semester at COSC, got my internet shut off, and barely made rent each month. This left little at the end of the day for studying, CBE, or school in general. I worked harder than I thought I could and almost convinced myself not to worry about my degree. Thankfully that has turned around. It actually gave me a new focus and direction in my studies. I was so concerned with doing all of these consortium agreements and whatnot, that I lost sight of the goal. Just get the degree and get done.

Money is a little better now, but since I decided to do CBE first and then re-enroll at COSC, I'm having to repay some loans for a while. $200 on a few tests every month still cuts into the old wallet. I was starting to feel like I would have to wait around some more (I truly hate that feeling) until a friend in town told me he used to donate plasma when he was hard up for cash in graduate school. I guess that is something I never considered before. So I checked it out and I have now been two weeks in a row.

Here's the deal, at least in my area: your first week you get $40 on your first donation and $60 on your second for the week. After that, it's $25 and $35 for the first and second visits in a given week. You can only donate twice in a seven day period, and they need your second donation or they have to destroy the first, hence the slightly higher pay (not sure why this is, that's just what they say in their booklet). The whole process takes 2.5-3 hours depending on how busy they are.

So, first week= $100
Every week after=$60
First year=$3160

That's assuming you go every week, of course. That first week pays for a test, and any additional week cuts a huge gash in the price. On this forum we are all about saving money and time, and we always talk about corporate tuition reimbursement, maximizing PELL Grants, etc. But I've never seen anyone mention this, so I thought it was worth checking out if you can stand the process. I plan on doing it for a few more weeks at least. I can sit and study while I wait and during the procedure, which I would not be able to do if I just got a second job.

Has anyone donated/considered donating plasma for money? If you didn't know about it before, would you consider it now? Do tell. Let's swap battle scars.

Here's the company I do it through in my town: Talecris Plasma Resources - Home

If your interested and can't find that company in your area, search around because there may be another company that does it in your location.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
My mother and I tried to do this years ago when we were trying to come up with rent. What stopped us from donating was genetics. We both have veins that are too small.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I used to do this many years ago, the money hasn't changed in that time period. The money was nice cause it was extra spending money, I used to have them bank the money for me, they would simply put the money in my account and I could withdrawal at anytime. It was a nice way to save up for a yearly vacation or something.

I would consider going back, but time isn't what it used to be. On the plus side it would give a great opportunity to study, take your iPad and study for your next exam online. Not a bad deal for extra testing money or for paying for college courses.
Air University - Air Command and Staff College - In Progress

Bachelor of Science - Charter Oak State College - 3.9 GPA (based on 133 graded credits)

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College
DrJohn Wrote:I used to do this many years ago, the money hasn't changed in that time period. The money was nice cause it was extra spending money, I used to have them bank the money for me, they would simply put the money in my account and I could withdrawal at anytime. It was a nice way to save up for a yearly vacation or something.

I would consider going back, but time isn't what it used to be. On the plus side it would give a great opportunity to study, take your iPad and study for your next exam online. Not a bad deal for extra testing money or for paying for college courses.

That's exactly how I look at it. It's enough extra income to help pay for my tests, but it's super flexible and allows me time to study and be with my girlfriend.

@sanantone- Sorry to hear that. There are a lot of things apparently that can cause ineligibility to donate. Tonic water for instance. Would not have guessed that one. And I'm a guy who loves a good gin and tonic. I figure it's a small price to pay until I'm done with this degree, though.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microwaving Grapes Makes Plasma sanantone 1 920 02-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa