Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Major - Upper Level Credit Requirements for 2nd Degree
I already have a Bachelor of Science but am now looking at a Bachelor of Arts with TESU. I originally thought I'd do the BA in Psychology but after learning more about dual majors I'd like to consider a BA in Psychology and History. 

I understand I need to do UL credits (18 I believe?) but have a question about that-

Would I need to do 18 UL credits in each AOS or just 18 UL credits spread out across Psychology and History classes? 

For example I seem to be able to find more UL Psych classes (that interest me) so can I do 15 UL in Psych and 3 UL in History to satisfy the UL credit requirments?

Thank you!
  • Degree in Progress: BA in Psychology and/or History (in planning)
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
@StudiousTraveller, TESU requires 15 UL for each major, the Capstone will be rounding out the 18 credits required for both.  You're in good shoes, complete all the requirements for one major first and then work on the other just in case you want to graduate with one and not be halfway between two majors...  You have enough RA credits, you just need to decide on paying the residency waiver or taking 16 credits for residency.

TESU is a great option to get a second degree, other institutions out there may require 30 UL credits if not more.  Heck, I remember two decades ago, someone wanted a second bachelors at the U of Toronto, I laughed and said no as that school allows 50% transfer of the bachelors/50% to be completed at the U, go for a master's instead and they did the master's in public policy.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • StudiousTraveller
(10-09-2022, 11:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @StudiousTraveller, TESU requires 15 UL for each major, the Capstone will be rounding out the 18 credits required for both.  You're in good shoes, complete all the requirements for one major first and then work on the other just in case you want to graduate with one and not be halfway between two majors...  You have enough RA credits, you just need to decide on paying the residency waiver or taking 16 credits for residency.

TESU is a great option to get a second degree, other institutions out there may require 30 UL credits if not more.  Heck, I remember two decades ago, someone wanted a second bachelors at the U of Toronto, I laughed and said no as that school allows 50% transfer of the bachelors/50% to be completed at the U, go for a master's instead and they did the master's in public policy.

Excellent! Thanks so much for the clarification. Guess I better look for some more UL credits in History.  Smile

I haven't decided on the residency waiver or taking 16 credits yet, but I've got lots of time yet before I need to make that decision.
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
(10-10-2022, 07:37 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote:
(10-09-2022, 11:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @StudiousTraveller, TESU requires 15 UL for each major, the Capstone will be rounding out the 18 credits required for both.  You're in good shoes, complete all the requirements for one major first and then work on the other just in case you want to graduate with one and not be halfway between two majors...  You have enough RA credits, you just need to decide on paying the residency waiver or taking 16 credits for residency.

Excellent! Thanks so much for the clarification. Guess I better look for some more UL credits in History.  Smile

I haven't decided on the residency waiver or taking 16 credits yet, but I've got lots of time yet before I need to make that decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by "look for some more UL credits in History."

Everything is there on the Wiki
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-11-2022, 11:20 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "look for some more UL credits in History."

Except that ONU's courses are gone.  I'm not certain that Dine' College's Navajo course will count as non-Western.  I do know that Sterling College will not allow you to take an UL History course until you've taken World History I & II (I think Western Civ I & II will count but I'm not 100% on that either).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-11-2022, 09:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 11:20 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "look for some more UL credits in History."

Except that ONU's courses are gone.  I'm not certain that Dine' College's Navajo course will count as non-Western.  I do know that Sterling College will not allow you to take an UL History course until you've taken World History I & II (I think Western Civ I & II will count but I'm not 100% on that either).

For Non-Western Civilizations, I would do the DSST.

For UL, I would take Business 313: Organizational Communication (UL), Business 305: Leadership Communication (UL), Business 324: Managerial Communication (UL). 

I wouldn't do Sterling College or Dine' College's Navajo or any other college.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-12-2022, 11:01 AM)LevelUP Wrote: For Non-Western Civilizations, I would do the DSST.

For UL, I would take Business 313: Organizational Communication (UL), Business 305: Leadership Communication (UL), Business 324: Managerial Communication (UL). 

I wouldn't do Sterling College or Dine' College's Navajo or any other college.

I don't think any of those SDC classes would count toward the AOS for History or Psychology.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(10-12-2022, 11:01 AM)LevelUP Wrote: For UL, I would take Business 313: Organizational Communication (UL), Business 305: Leadership Communication (UL), Business 324: Managerial Communication (UL). 

None of these would count towards the AoS for the degrees OP is looking at.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-13-2022, 07:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-12-2022, 11:01 AM)LevelUP Wrote: For UL, I would take Business 313: Organizational Communication (UL), Business 305: Leadership Communication (UL), Business 324: Managerial Communication (UL). 

None of these would count towards the AoS for the degrees OP is looking at.

According to the Wiki, those courses do count as UL as they are in the AOS.
(10-11-2022, 11:20 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 07:37 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "look for some more UL credits in History."

When I said "look for more UL credits..." I only meant I needed to look for more courses on topics I'm really interested in. As I said in my original comment, I can find lots more in psychology that interest me than history (at least that satisfy UL requirements). 

I've got the wiki page saved to refer to but, as others have said, some courses aren't available anymore. Then there are courses I'm not interested in (e.g. history of food trucks) and any business courses (whether they'd meet the requirement or not) are of no interest to me. 

No worries though. I'll find courses, just wanted to check to confirm how many I should be on the look out for. 

Thanks everyone for your help!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 288 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 241 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,578 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,161 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 569 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,757 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 693 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  BS CIS Upper Level AOS jg_nuy 21 1,490 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77