Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyscalculia-Math Challenged
Differences of opinion, and discussion of those differences are allowed on this board. Discourse is usually healthy when it involves a legitimate meeting of the minds; polite give-and-take; and the clear, well thought-out expression of opposing arguments.

Let's just try and keep it civil, friendly, and avoid personal attacks. Then we can all learn something from each other's views, without slipping into something that is combative and less than useful.
hilarious

Thanks,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I am a spreadsheet kind of guy. A lot of my work is done in Excel and such. My job has me doing advanced routing concepts (EIGRP, OSPF, etc.), CIDR, subnetting, IP addressing, and whatnot, but I've recently found that I have to take some of the basic math courses to refresh myself on Algebra and the like. I reckon that with the proper amount of work, most folks are able to succeed at what they put their minds to...motivation and intestinal fortitude are wonderful in that regard.

Some folks are blessed to find math concepts easy to grasp, while others struggle at it. What makes the difference is the motivational aspect...why am I doing this? What are the benefits? What do I have to do to get from Point A to Point B? Finally, we should all be asking, "Is there a way to make this interesting and make it apply to my life?"

'Nuff said.

Alaskan
Finally someone!
Spazz,

I wouldn't say I totally agree with you but I think that a lot of it has to do with what motivates us. Throw in a bit of tenaciousness and most folks can struggle through a course...which might be different than actually getting a full grasp of all materials in a course. For some folks, math just clicks. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people....I have to bust my rear to get through it.
Alaskan Wrote:Some folks are blessed to find math concepts easy to grasp, while others struggle at it. What makes the difference is the motivational aspect...why am I doing this? What are the benefits? What do I have to do to get from Point A to Point B? Finally, we should all be asking, "Is there a way to make this interesting and make it apply to my life?"

'Nuff said.

Alaskan

Yeah, but this argument you made here is the point I was trying to get across. I am glad atleast one person agrees Smile. I understand about the math thing clicking with certain people, this is true. But for the ones that math does not click with, it just takes a bit more effort, and it will click with them also. It is all about how much time and effort one puts into learning the actual material.

Some concepts will click with some people very fast based on past experiences, and some concepts will take more time and effort for one to learn.
Wow, what a firestorm I created. Since myself and others are struggling with that required college math class, I thought we'd all have a chuckle. But as Librevore so aptly demonstrated, this has nothing to do with motivation.

Since the Mental Health community recognizes dyscalculia in the same way dyslexia is recognized as a learning disability, we can safely say dyscalculia is not opinion but research.

Enjoyed the discussion.hilarious
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE
Goal Master Library Science 2009

Ambition is the Path to success,
Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
beckysharp Wrote:Wow, what a firestorm I created. Since myself and others are struggling with that required college math class, I thought we'd all have a chuckle. But as Librevore so aptly demonstrated, this has nothing to do with motivation.

Since the Mental Health community recognizes dyscalculia in the same way dyslexia is recognized as a learning disability, we can safely say dyscalculia is not opinion but research.

Enjoyed the discussion.hilarious

Not to put a damper on this conversation. But I have never seen objective physchology research, since nothing can be proven mathematically. So technically even if its research, doesnt mean its factual. If its factual, it doesnt mean it applies to you, because that is subjective, there is no way to prove that it applies to you, because it is based on relativity. It remains opinionated, even if you make generalizations that happen only by chance.
spazz Wrote:Not to put a damper on this conversation. But I have never seen objective physchology research, since nothing can be proven mathematically. So technically even if its research, doesnt mean its factual. If its factual, it doesnt mean it applies to you, because that is subjective, there is no way to prove that it applies to you, because it is based on relativity. It remains opinionated, even if you make generalizations that happen only by chance.

Well, I'm sure your own "expert" opinions on the matter are safe however, just for the record, here are quite a few reputable published objective research papers on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...t=Citation

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/cont...23/11/2240

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Home.po...o=EJ730248

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3510847

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/clinicalneuro/ins...s-Tsur.pdf

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/(s...1:102428,1

The controls for alot of these studies are quite good if you read up on it.

In reading up on the subject (I can't sleep, and this topic is interesting) I can note that out of a good 25+ articles in reputable journals, developmental dyscalculia is a very real, studied, objective learning disability. All of the articles that detailed causes pointed to the disorder as gentically-based and specifically ruled out conditions such as IQ, gender, teacher quality, student volition (such as laziness), and surprisingly age. I tried to specifically find research to de-bunk developmental dyscalculia as well, but found none.

There are of course, other ways to acquire a math-learning disability such as through brain trauma or psycho-somatic issues, or alzheimers, but I focused on the developmental path.

Anyways, it's all interesting reading if you've got the time.
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
[SIZE="3"]"Dyscalculia is a term referring to a wide range of life-long learning disabilities involving math. "

[COLOR="Navy"]Holy crap - now I know what's wrong with me!!! :eek:

Is there a pill I can take Doc?? Big Grin Cool [/SIZE][/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I have skimmed through some of those papers listed and what I have gotten out of it is that this is a disorder for children learning arithmetic. If this is true, then one would hope you would not have problems with arithmetic if you have graduated highschool. Obviously in society some OLDER people still have problems with arithmetic. Good example of this and happens all the time to me, is when I go to mcdonalds and practically everytime they either give me more change or less change then I should get back.

One would hope to assume that no one on this board has problems doing arithmetic, since everyone here graduated from highschool.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,072 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  anybody ever been a math teacher ? bluebooger 2 581 08-30-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Spanish or Vanish... Duolingo coming to Math! ashkir 3 1,158 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 717 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 539 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 596 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Creative Math Alpha 1 862 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 927 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Humble Bundle math and physics books bluebooger 6 1,569 05-05-2020, 03:19 AM
  Alternative Math sanantone 1 923 02-21-2019, 01:06 AM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob