Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC - CourXam
Quote:“CourXam (pronounced korzam) is an innovative educational product developed by Excelsior College and Cengage that addresses the critical concerns of today’s higher education students: portability, convenience, and affordability,” said Nurit Sonnenschein, General Manager of Excelsior’s Center for Educational Measurement. “A CourXam is a college option where a student can learn when they want and how they want – on their laptop, their tablet and even their phone.” 

The first five CourXams developed will be focused on Criminal Justice and can be used toward earning a degree in Criminal Justice at Excelsior College. In 2018, MBA CourXams will also become available. Each are built to the exacting specifications of a team of Criminal Justice professors from several colleges, including Excelsior College. They include all the learning materials used in college courses, but are designed for independent, adult learners who don’t have the time or inclination to attend regular class sessions.   

“Online learning has proven to be a tremendous resource for students who have a busy lifestyle or are unable to attend traditional campus-based programs. CourXams open up access to even more working professionals who need additional college credits or a degree for a job or workplace advancement,” said Lori Hales, Senior Vice President of Institutional Sales, Cengage.

Some of the key features include:

Portability: a CourXam can be accessed anywhere, anytime on a laptop, iPad, tablet, smartphone;  
Personalization: a CourXam gives the learner the opportunity to test out of what they already know so they can focus only on material they need to learn;  
Flexibility: unlike traditional college courses which force the student to engage on a predetermined schedule, with a Courxam, the learner can study lessons when they choose;  
Affordability: the cost for each of the criminal justice CourXams is just $450, which includes all the learning materials, an e-book, a full-length practice exam, and the college credit exam. 

Source:Excelsior College and Cengage Announce the Launch of CourXam, a First of its Kind Hybrid Digital Course and Exam

You can find more information about the exams here ----> UExcel CourXam

Just sharing news... :coolgleam:
Interesting - but at $450/course, that's certainly not cheap. And definitely not "less than the cost of a community college course" like they claim.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It's definitely not cheaper than a CC. If they charge the same price for the MBA exams, then there will be savings.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
What's the cost of community college in your local area? In mine its about $104.00, which is about $312.00 a credit hour, plus books which can be $100+. I paid up to $200.00 for books at community college for just one course before.

So $450.00 which include the course plus all books and course material, as well as being able to complete the course on your own time (no schedule). May be a deal for some people.

However, I wonder how such will transcribe on the college transcript... as a course or as an exam? Still have to pass with a "C" or better to finish the course.
The average cost of tuition for community colleges was $3347 in 2015. If one were to do 30 credits in these exams, then that would equal $4500. The most I ever spent on books was close to $500 in a semester, but I learned how to buy used and sell back my books or rent. Plus, a lot of people can't afford to pay that much out of pocket, and a Pell Grant could more than cover the cost of books and tuition.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Exfactor Wrote:What's the cost of community college in your local area? In mine its about $104.00, which is about $312.00 a credit hour, plus books which can be $100+. I paid up to $200.00 for books at community college for just one course before.

So $450.00 which include the course plus all books and course material, as well as being able to complete the course on your own time (no schedule). May be a deal for some people.

However, I wonder how such will transcribe on the college transcript... as a course or as an exam? Still have to pass with a "C" or better to finish the course.

In CA it's $42/credit, so with fees about $155 for a single course. Less per course when you start adding on. Depending on the cost of the textbook, I would say you could get out well under $200 for a course.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Our Local CC is $156 per credit hour with an $8 per credit hour mandatory fee, bringing it to $164 per credit hour or $492 per 3 hour class. It is still much cheaper than any of the nearby Universities, but it is higher than many community colleges and higher than the cost of the CourXam. However, our CC (KCTCS) has on demand classes which can be started and finished anytime, outside of the traditional semester system and this is a huge plus for us.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
hsfamfun Wrote:Our Local CC is $156 per credit hour with an $8 per credit hour mandatory fee, bringing it to $164 per credit hour or $492 per 3 hour class. It is still much cheaper than any of the nearby Universities, but it is higher than many community colleges and higher than the cost of the CourXam. However, our CC (KCTCS) has on demand classes which can be started and finished anytime, outside of the traditional semester system and this is a huge plus for us.

That is a nice bonus. The other thing to remember is that you're not limited to your local CC to take courses - you can find a much cheaper one and take online courses.
Even if I went out of district to Central Texas College Online, I would pay $103 per credit hour. They have some self-paced courses, but the most time you'll have to complete them is 16 weeks.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P