Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Complete a BA at TESC for Less than University of the People
I hope I didn't make any mistakes. I'll make the disclaimer that this degree plan can be made cheaper by those who can score high enough for 12 credits on a language CLEP, New Jersey residents, and/or those who can complete 4 or more Straighterline courses in a month. This plan assumes that one will study before signing up for ALEKS so that all 4 courses can be passed within a month. Even with 3 extra months of fees at $20 per month, the plan still comes out below UotP's total cost of $4050. Just in case there is any confusion, I'm am using TESC's Per Credit Tuition Plan and using the TECEPs and the required capstone to satisfy the residency requirements. There are no residency requirements for TESC's two other, non-military tuition plans.

BA in Liberal Studies

General Education Requirements
English Comp I: CLEP Composition General (6 credits) - $100
English Comp II: CLEP Composition General - $0
Mathematics: ALEKS - $20
Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills: ALEKS - $0
Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills: Saylor Calculus I - $25
Humanities: Any 6-credit CLEP - $100
Social Sciences: 6-credit Social Science and History CLEP - $100
Natural Sciences: ALEKS - $0
=$345

9 credits in Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, or Interdisciplinary
Overage from 6-credit humanities test - $0
Overage from 6-credit social science test - $0
ALEKS - $0
Diversity/Global Literacy: Any acceptable CLEP, DSST, or Uexcel - $100
Responsible Ethical Leadership: Any acceptable test - $100
Other Ethics or Diversity Course: Any acceptable test - $100
=$300

18 credits in General Education Electives
Saylor Intro to Computer Science I - $25
Saylor Intro to Western Political Thought - $25
6-credit CLEP - $100
6-credit CLEP - $100
=$250

Liberal Studies Area of Study: 33 credits, 18 UL credits, 6-credit limit on 100-level courses, and credits in at least two broad areas (natural science/mathematics, humanities, and social science)
Saylor Corporate Communication (UL) - $25
TECEP Marketing Communication (UL) - $108
TECEP Abnormal Psychology (UL) - $108
Any UL liberal arts test - $100
Any liberal arts TECEP 100-level or above - $108
Any liberal arts TECEP 200-level or above - $108
Required liberal arts capstone (UL) - $1428
=$2409

27 Credits in Free Electives
FEMA, NFA, or TEEX - $0

Total: $3304
With graduation, application, and technology services fees: $3790
With transcript fees for ACE, DSST, and CLEP: $3880
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Looks great, plus TESC is regionally accredited. Last time I looked University of the people wasn't accredited so that makes it even better.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
University of the People is now accredited by DETC.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Oh that's a good start, I discovered them around the time I discovered this forum and the fact they weren't accredited and wanted a $100 per exam at the time was a bit steep. Since then I discovered so many other resources for free through people like yourself that I'm almost resuming my path towards getting those CLEP's done. Just a week left at EC in my most recent course and then on to U.S History II. Now back to the research paper I'm supposed to be brainstorming Smile
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Hi Sanantone,

This is great info. I was in the old TESC program (I enrolled in January of 2013) and wondering what happens to people that were enrolled at TESC prior to the newly required Global Diversity and Ethics classes? If I was enrolled at TESC prior to July 1st (which I was), if I go for a second degree in liberal studies would have to take these 2 extra course? If yes, what CLEP's, DSST's, etc. would meet the criteria for the Global Diversity and Ethics courses? I don't want to sit through 12 weeks or pay the TESC tuition if there is a cheaper and test out method available for these courses.

Any tips/advice?

Thanks,
Tara

PS I already have all the other credits for Gen Ed finished. I just need 2 more Humanities electives at the upper level (any suggestions for DSST's?), and the capstone and I can get this degree which would be great for my future.

sanantone Wrote:I hope I didn't make any mistakes. I'll make the disclaimer that this degree plan can be made cheaper by those who can score high enough for 12 credits on a language CLEP, New Jersey residents, and/or those who can complete 4 or more Straighterline courses in a month. This plan assumes that one will study before signing up for ALEKS so that all 4 courses can be passed within a month. Even with 3 extra months of fees at $20 per month, the plan still comes out below UotP's total cost of $4050. Just in case there is any confusion, I'm am using TESC's Per Credit Tuition Plan and using the TECEPs and the required capstone to satisfy the residency requirements. There are no residency requirements for TESC's two other, non-military tuition plans.

BA in Liberal Studies

General Education Requirements
English Comp I: CLEP Composition General (6 credits) - $100
English Comp II: CLEP Composition General - $0
Mathematics: ALEKS - $20
Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills: ALEKS - $0
Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills: Saylor Calculus I - $25
Humanities: Any 6-credit CLEP - $100
Social Sciences: 6-credit Social Science and History CLEP - $100
Natural Sciences: ALEKS - $0
=$345

9 credits in Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, or Interdisciplinary
Overage from 6-credit humanities test - $0
Overage from 6-credit social science test - $0
ALEKS - $0
Diversity/Global Literacy: Any acceptable CLEP, DSST, or Uexcel - $100
Responsible Ethical Leadership: Any acceptable test - $100
Other Ethics or Diversity Course: Any acceptable test - $100
=$300

18 credits in General Education Electives
Saylor Intro to Computer Science I - $25
Saylor Intro to Western Political Thought - $25
6-credit CLEP - $100
6-credit CLEP - $100
=$250

Liberal Studies Area of Study: 33 credits, 18 UL credits, 6-credit limit on 100-level courses, and credits in at least two broad areas (natural science/mathematics, humanities, and social science)
Saylor Corporate Communication (UL) - $25
TECEP Marketing Communication (UL) - $108
TECEP Abnormal Psychology (UL) - $108
Required liberal arts capstone (UL) - $1428
=$2409

27 Credits in Free Electives
FEMA, NFA, or TEEX - $0

Total: $3304
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
I can't guarantee accuracy, but I attempted to categorize the CBEs. When you work on your second bachelors, you will fall under the latest catalog.
Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki

I can't really recommend any UL humanities tests since I haven't taken any, but I do have a list of them.
Sanantone's BA in Humanities - Degree Forum Wiki
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Awesome thanks!

sanantone Wrote:I can't guarantee accuracy, but I attempted to categorize the CBEs. When you work on your second bachelors, you will fall under the latest catalog.
Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki

I can't really recommend any UL humanities tests since I haven't taken any, but I do have a list of them.
Sanantone's BA in Humanities - Degree Forum Wiki
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
sanantone Wrote:Liberal Studies Area of Study: 33 credits, 18 UL credits, 6-credit limit on 100-level courses, and credits in at least two broad areas (natural science/mathematics, humanities, and social science)

Does University of the People offer a Bachelor's in Liberal Studies?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
sanantone Wrote:Total: $3304

Pretty good job overall. It's nice of you to do this for people with absolutely no personal gain on your part. One thing, do these costs factor in proctor fees and books/study aids?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Currently, University of the People only offers associates and bachelors degrees in computer science and business administration. Their next degree will probably be an MBA. I made a cost plan for TESC's BSBA that's cheaper than this. The plan figures in a $20 testing fee for CLEPs and DSSTs. For Saylor courses, the $25 is the ProctorU fee. I don't know if the TECEPs have an additional ProctorU fee. For study materials, there are plenty of free ones out there.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,668 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,694 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Excelsior College - B.S. in Engineering Technology Degree [Complete] Wallerstein 4 4,835 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,457 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,204 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,994 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,367 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,164 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 2,178 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
  Time Taken to Complete a Degree with the Big 3 JonW 4 1,544 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM