Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDx MicroMasters and CourseEra Specialization
Does anyone know how these would transcribe once accepted into the actual masters program?  Will the course titles show up on the transcript?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(05-09-2019, 10:27 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: Does anyone know how these would transcribe once accepted into the actual masters program?  Will the course titles show up on the transcript?

That's the million dollar question. I'm also curious if this isn't a sophisticated opportunity to do a little grad level credit laundering.... of course, it's unlikely, but the question does remain unanswered for the time being.
I just emailed ASU and will try Illinois also. The degrees offered aren’t of interest to me but if I can pick up some ACCT and BUS course prefixes I’d go that route.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
I have tried to find out the answer to this same thing to no avail. EdX won't give any solid answers. I tried both calling and e-mailing one of the schools but did not hear back.

Coursera I figured out is not worth it. The prices just become unreasonable and I actually did get a half solid answer from them:

"Students earn academic credit for any iMBA course by:

1. Completing a Coursera iMBA course for a verified certificate.

2. Then completing an enhanced portion of the same course with Illinois (involves direct and live interaction with faculty, additional case studies, group or individual assignments and discussions etc., and graded personalized evaluation).

Putting these two components together earns you full academic credit for a course, which is transferable towards the degree program (when admitted). As a result, students can earn a certificate with true academic credit from the University of Illinois.

Free Coursera Course is referring to point 1. in the information below. Some iMBA courses are include in those free Coursera Courses, but not all of them. Please take in consideration that completing only Coursera component is not consider graduate-level credit.

Students must complete 72 credit hours, at least 18 courses (each course is 3 or 4 credits), any two specialization capstones, and a final program-wide experiential learning capstone.

You will pay for the classes as you enroll in them. When you enroll in a class in Coursera you will pay the fee directly to them (except for the free course you received, only if you selected iMBA course) . If you enroll in an entire specialization, then you will pay for all those classes at once ($79/class). For the for-credit classes at Illinois, you will pay for tuition for each class you enroll in. For example, if you take two classes per term (8 weeks), then you will register for the two classes and then receive a bill from Illinois, for the full amount ($2,000). The University of Illinois offers payment plan options. Please refer to https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/PaymentPlan and https://paymybill.uillinois.edu/PaymentPlanFAQs for more information."

Coursera was running a special awhile back where if you even just applied to the iMBA you could receive 1 free coursera course, but they didn't specify if it was for the iMBA program... which prompted me to e-mail them.

My bet is still on EdX, but it's almost like one of us is just going to have to try it. I get the feeling a person would need to finish the micromasters, apply to the program, and be accepted in order to get credit... but they don't say what the fee will be for the credits nor if a person has to actually enroll rather than just being accepted. One of us is going to have to be a guinea pig I suspect. I was half tempted to try but have a lot on my plate right now even without any classes currently.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
https://campustechnology.com/articles/20...thway.aspx

This is another "potential" pathway.

I just need to take one exam and I will have completed all five of the Harvard poetry classes. I have finished one of the MITx development micromasters courses, but I haven't attempted the final yet. I am not sure if I will finish the micromasters, but if I do, I will try to apply for the Harvard Extension masters program and see if they credit my transcript with the courses.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • cookderosa, hsfamfun
From ASU

The edX courses are transferred to your student account in the semester after you are accepted into the MALM
degree. You will see the courses there like your other courses. Grades are only transferred as whole grades and are considered in your gpa. So you will see either a 3.0 or 4.0 per class.

Have you started the edX courses? We are in a period of revamping. We have two more courses, one is starting on May 14 and one on June 25. After the next two I don’t know when the others will be available.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
I expected that these schools would make you take their courses before giving you credits for the edX or Coursera courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
From ASU:

“The courses do not show up as transfer credit on your ASU transcript. They will look like regular classes.”
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
(05-09-2019, 01:55 PM)eriehiker Wrote: https://campustechnology.com/articles/20...thway.aspx

This is another "potential" pathway.

I just need to take one exam and I will have completed all five of the Harvard poetry classes.  I have finished one of the MITx development micromasters courses, but I haven't attempted the final yet.  I am not sure if I will finish the micromasters, but if I do, I will try to apply for the Harvard Extension masters program and see if they credit my transcript with the courses.

I had seen that, and both of those are great programs, but also would be SUPER stressful and involve pretty advanced math that I think I would drowned in. Plus, I can't recall what the issue is but EdX just changed their proctoring and for the time being I know it doesn't work with my computer. Seems like it's because I updated my OS a few month back and EdX has not caught up yet on their end.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
If I didn't already have a master's I would give this a try. There are enough new programs being launched every year that I expect SOMEONE here will try one soon enough.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best ROI/Value - EDX Microbachelors/Micromasters bjcheung77 16 1,943 01-21-2024, 04:05 PM
Last Post: evenFair23