Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest way to satisfy 3 unit math requirement Excelsior?
Hello, I really bad with algebra and that's what worry me the most, the math part..  Is there an equivalent which is good for people like me and satisfy the 3 unit math requirements for a degree from excelsior or even TESU or COC .  Just not algebra.
(03-12-2018, 02:55 AM)rab889 Wrote: Hello, I really bad with algebra and that's what worry me the most, the math part..  Is there an equivalent which is good for people like me and satisfy the 3 unit math requirements for a degree from excelsior or even TESU or COC .  Just not algebra.

The math requirements vary by not only school, but by degree program.  Which degree program are you pursuing?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I’ll pursue associate degree and if I can do it might pursue a BA after. It seems even associate in arts requires 3 units math
It really depends on the school. I wouldn't suggest the TESU AA as it's expensive in comparison to other schools. But they will accept much lower levels of math for the AA or even a BALS. College Math CLEP or Applied Liberal Arts Math DSST would both work (and are available elsewhere like Study.com).

COSC requires College Algebra or Stats for their AA, plus don't forget the lab science plus an additional science (that would get me more than the math).

Have you considered the BOG AAS program? Do you have any credits already from a college (rather than testing)?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sorry for responding so late, I appreciate the responses. I am considering Excelsior Associate degree in Business because I'd like to pursue business but can't commit to a BA now. If I can do the AA in business I'll be happy and I can always complete it to a BA. Excelsior are the only ones that have an option for an AA degree in Business..

And I don't have any prior college credit just starting to take some CLEP tests.
(03-14-2018, 09:38 PM)rab889 Wrote: Sorry for responding so late, I appreciate the responses.  I am considering Excelsior Associate degree in Business because I'd like to pursue business but can't commit to a BA now.  If I can do the AA in business I'll be happy and I can always complete it to a BA.  Excelsior are the only ones that have an option for an AA degree in Business..

And I don't have any prior college credit just starting to take some CLEP tests.

If you're going to take CLEP tests, you might want to use ModernStates.org.  They are free courses that help prepare you for the exams, and then when you complete them, they give you a voucher for the CLEP exam - as many CLEP's as you want, no max.  Then, after each exam, they will also reimburse you for the testing center fees!  Woot!  Free CLEP.

It doesn't look like EC's AA in Business has a requirement on the math (no college algebra required) that I can see - but you might want to double check with them.  Also, they have some discounts for Study.com, so if you want to try using them, they have a scholarship that gives 6 free courses.  Then, you get a discount on the Capstone course ($100 per credit discount, so $300 off).

I personally wouldn't want to do a capstone for an AA, but hey, you do you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, rab889
(03-14-2018, 09:38 PM)rab889 Wrote: Sorry for responding so late, I appreciate the responses.  I am considering Excelsior Associate degree in Business because I'd like to pursue business but can't commit to a BA now.  If I can do the AA in business I'll be happy and I can always complete it to a BA.  Excelsior are the only ones that have an option for an AA degree in Business..

Not sure where you got the idea that Excelsior was the only Associate's in Business. TESU has an ASBA, not that I particularly recommend it given the higher fees at TESU. I will say that if you ever intend to get a bachelor's in business, you are going to have to tackle Algebra and Stats, so you might consider biting the bullet and just getting it done. Also, if the last time you tried was in HS, you might find that with a more mature perspective you can persevere. I used to HATE writing when I was a student the first time, but now I find I don't really mind it.

https://www.tesu.edu/business/asba/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • rab889, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 378 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,311 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 555 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,022 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Quickest and Easiest Way to Boost GPA for State College aetosdios 12 1,207 08-02-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,123 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,222 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 663 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 967 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name