Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy Biology
I need Biology credit as a prerequisite for grad-school (for SLP). I have zero biology knowledge now, since my high school course (which I did well on) was 25 years ago. What’s the easiest way to go? CLEP, Saylor Academy (although I’d have to find out if my school accepts that), or a 5 week course with the University of Phoenix? Any other good ideas?
I’d greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
(It needs to be for 3 credits and letter grade)
(08-25-2020, 05:52 PM)Samster Wrote: I need Biology credit as a prerequisite for grad-school (for SLP). I have zero biology knowledge now, since my high school course (which I did well on) was 25 years ago. What’s the easiest way to go? CLEP, Saylor Academy (although I’d have to find out if my school accepts that), or a 5 week course with the University of Phoenix? Any other good ideas?

Most likely, they are looking for you to have actual college credit, not ACE credit(but you could confirm with them) since they require a letter grade. This would mean that CLEP, Saylor and the other alt credit providers would be a no-go, but you could inquire with them to confirm. 

Also, does it have to biology credit for a particular course or any 3 credit BIO course? 

There's the TECEP and several options with Uexcel exams, though I think those options are all pass fail and not graded.

There's a 3 credit self paced bio course from Doane that costs about $500, but depending on whether price or time is a priority, you may be better off trying to take it through one of the cheaper online community colleges like NMJC or Rio Salado

https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=BIO-101

https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/choose-your-exam/

https://www.edx.org/course/medical-terminology
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Samster
(08-25-2020, 05:52 PM)Samster Wrote: I need Biology credit as a prerequisite for grad-school (for SLP). I have zero biology knowledge now, since my high school course (which I did well on) was 25 years ago. What’s the easiest way to go? CLEP, Saylor Academy (although I’d have to find out if my school accepts that), or a 5 week course with the University of Phoenix? Any other good ideas?

If it has to be a letter grade that significantly reduces your options. I'm not sure what you're school will accept but the only alternative credit I've had come in with a letter grade to TESU so far has been from Excelsior Uexcel exams. They have a number of biology related exams but I would confirm with your school before spending the $$ and time on doing them.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/choose-your-exam/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kalpa's post:
  • Samster

Sophia has Human Biology which is 3 credits. Sophia is $79 a month and you can take as many classes as you want during the month then cancel. There's no lab for this bio class and can be completed quickly if you put the time into it. You'll get a grade on your Sophia transcript hich you can request through Parchment and it costs $5.25.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Samster
Thanks guys for your responses!
I know my college will accept CLEP, because it gives a letter grade and it’s at least 3 credits. the issue is that the Biology CLEP Is supposedly really hard especially for someone who doesn’t know the basics.The Excelsior option looks good, but I don’t see any biology test. Maybe I’ll use that for Statistics though. Thomas Edison seems to only be pass or fail. 
Anyone use the University of Phoenix for biology? (Seems like the easiest because it’s only five weeks.)
Thanks!
You need a letter grade, which means you'll need to take it at a college.. I strongly suggest not taking it at U of Phoenix.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(08-25-2020, 06:13 PM)MNomadic Wrote: There's a 3 credit self paced bio course from Doane that costs about $500, but depending on whether price or time is a priority, you may be better off trying to take it through one of the cheaper online community colleges like NMJC or Rio Salado

Rio Salado is $250 per credit. That actually makes it more expensive than a lot of other community colleges and even some universities.

https://national.riosalado.edu/paying-fo...ther-costs
Most often they'll want that Biology with lab. If they will take the ACE credit then Study.com (SDC) Biology 101L - of it must be from a RA school then Clovis CC (NM) https://www.clovis.edu (straightforward, low cost for in/out of state, and simple to get supplies for labs - even during a pandemic). My daughter needed a Bio w/lab for a grad program within the last year and they did accept the SDC course as meeting the prerequisite (each school will vary), and I needed a science with lab for a program a few years ago (before SDC had the option) and took one of the online Bio I w/lab offerings through Clovis - so I speak from personal experience.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

The biology requirement comes from ASHA, and as far as I know they do not require it to be with a lab.
(08-26-2020, 09:07 AM)Samster Wrote: The biology requirement comes from ASHA, and as far as I know they do not require it to be with a lab.

The school your applying to may interpret this differently (lab vs no lab).  Most school courses (letter grade) will include a lab with a biology course. Like you I was many years years out of HS. I'm going to stick with the Clovis CC (NM) recommendation. I'd taken many traditional college courses at near a dozen schools mixed east coast to west and of in seat and online (partly how I ended up at TESU in the end), and the Science w/lab - I put it off 20+ years (I dreaded it) in the end it wasn't bad at all. Plus the lab portion is a good portion of the grade, and I'd go as far as saying (easy) 'fun'; if not - at least interesting.

NM Jr College may have low cost options as well; but I cannot speak to the level of difficuly or lab requirements - https://www.nmjc.edu
It's really tough to beat those NM school out of state online rates for RA graded credits.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 899 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  clep Biology The1gunner 4 2,120 06-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Last Post: The1gunner