Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed.D. question
So basically if money is more important than Cumberlands is better but if speed/less work is key than ACE is better.

It would be interesting if they are the same person. If they are that is super impressive to have accomplished all those degrees and careers by 27.

also here are some more options: https://www.onlineeddprograms.com/faqs/e...ssertation
OP you should also check out Trident University - cheaper than both American College of Education & U of Cumberlands..

They offer an EdD completion degree that requires a minimum of 28 transfer credits.

https://www.trident.edu/doctoral/edd-edu...n-program/

P.S. Wikipedia has a number of controversies listed under U of Cumberlands.. (verifiable through a few news organizations)
BABA, New England College, 2019
(05-01-2020, 09:22 PM)harrypotter Wrote: OP you should also check out Trident University - cheaper than both American College of Education & U of Cumberlands..

They offer an EDD completion degree

P.S. Wikipedia has a number of controversies listed under U of Cumberlands..  (verifiable through a few news organizations)

Hmm, when I looked at Trident, I added them to my "not a chance" list because they were one of the most expensive Ph.D. programs out there... particularly when you consider that they are a relatively unknown school.

I was looking at their Ph.D. programs rather than their Ed.D., but they are charging over $95,000 in tuition for their Ph.D. programs (96 credit hours @ $990 per credit with a 6-year expectation of completion) and that doesn't include stuff like books or travel. It looks like their Ed.D. is the same as the DBA at $725 per credit ($11,600 per year) but that is still like $68,000 in tuition alone, so I wouldn't call them cheaper than Cumberlands, when you can complete a Ph.D. from there for just over $25,000 in tuition (5-year expectation of completion).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-01-2020, 10:16 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 09:22 PM)harrypotter Wrote: OP you should also check out Trident University - cheaper than both American College of Education & U of Cumberlands..

They offer an EDD completion degree

P.S. Wikipedia has a number of controversies listed under U of Cumberlands..  (verifiable through a few news organizations)

Hmm, when I looked at Trident, I added them to my "not a chance" list because they were one of the most expensive Ph.D. programs out there... particularly when you consider that they are a relatively unknown school.

I was looking at their Ph.D. programs rather than their Ed.D., but they are charging over $95,000 in tuition for their Ph.D. programs (96 credit hours @ $990 per credit with a 6-year expectation of completion) and that doesn't include stuff like books or travel. It looks like their Ed.D. is the same as the DBA at $725 per credit ($11,600 per year) but that is still like $68,000 in tuition alone, so I wouldn't call them cheaper than Cumberlands, when you can complete a Ph.D. from there for just over $25,000 in tuition (5-year expectation of completion).

OP completed all but dissertation so they'd be considered for this 24 credit EdD completion program. If they have at least 28 transferable credits then all that would be needed is 24 credits x 725 EdD per credit cost = 17,400
(05-01-2020, 09:22 PM)harrypotter Wrote: P.S. Wikipedia has a number of controversies listed under U of Cumberlands..  (verifiable through a few news organizations)

yikes, these actions suck.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • harrypotter
(05-01-2020, 10:37 PM)harrypotter Wrote: OP completed all but dissertation so they'd be considered for this 24 credit EdD completion program. If they have at least 28 transferable credits then all that would be needed is 24 credits x 725 EdD per credit cost = 17,400

From what I have read, a lot of schools offer a similar program if you ask about it. They just may not advertise it since it is counterproductive. They want Ph.D. students to conduct research in support of the school's current funded research projects in conjunction with their advisor. I imagine that most schools are not just looking to publish someone's dissertation, but they will in the right circumstances.

Either way, a lot of schools will charge far less on the per credit fees for the balance of credits.

This is definitely an area where the OP should call and ask their target schools to gain clarity. It is not that uncommon since people drop out of Ph.D. programs all the time for various reasons. Ultimately, it may depend on the area of research, available advisors, and how closely aligned the two programs are to each other in order to map credits properly.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-01-2020, 11:54 PM)jsd Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 09:22 PM)harrypotter Wrote: P.S. Wikipedia has a number of controversies listed under U of Cumberlands..  (verifiable through a few news organizations)

yikes, these actions suck.

Indeed, however, none of them point in any way to a lack of academic rigor or quality. Also, they all took place when the university was being sponsored by the Southern Baptist Convention, something it went out of its way to depart from to include offing its funding in 2018...

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti...14660.html
[/quote]

Indeed, however, none of them point in any way to a lack of academic rigor or quality. Also, they all took place when the university was being sponsored by the Southern Baptist Convention, something it went out of its way to depart from to include offing its funding in 2018...

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti...14660.html
[/quote]

They might’ve separated from the Baptist church but they’re still totally okay with discriminating based on their Christian beliefs - page 3 of their 2019-2020 catalog clearly states that..
(05-01-2020, 08:13 PM)jsd Wrote: I had never heard of UoC outside of this forum.

That's not a bad reputation, that's no reputation... Which is the majority of schools outside of the elite tier.

I'd also like to hear more about this supposed bad rep.

I heard of it years and years ago. I was on vacation over a decade ago and somehow ended up in Kentucky. We stumbled upon the campus and it was a nice, small, semi-rural college. Very well known in the area. It's not just an online college. That is a big deal to some people.