Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EdX MIT and Harvard Team Up for New Offerings
I didn't see anyone else post about this but I wanted to let everyone know that folks taking a Micromasters through MITX on EDx may end up qualifying for a degree from Harvard University Extension School for 22k! that's an 10-11,000+ dollars savings! I'm already working on a MicroMasters in Data, Economics, and Development Policy to get the ALM in Development Policy.  This is awesome because it's ivy level learning, with costs slashed. If education is your thing or you're on a budget, I'm recommending this.

Links here:

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...evelopment

https://www.extension.harvard.edu/inside...initiative Heart Heart Heart
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 4 users Like collegecareerstudent's post:
  • cookderosa, harrypotter, Life Long Learning, Sapientes
A few months ago, I was actually looking at the Data+Development policy Micromasters being offered by MIT. The uncertainty with that program is that after you complete one year of online studies and exams, you need to apply for being selected to do the on-campus portion of the course. Clearing the online tests does not automatically grant you entry into MIT to complete the Masters. So, I raised this question with MIT and they sent me alternative options like some University in Cairo, Egypt etc. While I am sure these partner universities might be having an equally good standard of education, the whole idea of getting a masters from MIT is what is really enticing in the first place. And that does not seem so certain with the Micromasters program. I hope I have understood the structure of their program well, and am not misrepresenting it.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
The MicroMasters no longer has an on-campus component, to my knowledge. At least not the one I'm doing as far as I know. That would be very expensive 40+k to attend on campus MIT program for the full degree. The great thing is now when you complete the MITx program, you can transfer those credits to the Harvard Extension School instead for a total cost of 22k with a short residency.

Yes, you do still have to apply for each program but if you are accepted those credits will transfer.
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • Life Long Learning
There might be a guerrilla non-degree approach to this as well.  If I remember correctly, the MITx program costs $2500.  If Harvard Extension posts four graduate credits for each of the four classes credited in the transfer, that is 16 Harvard extension graduate credits for $2500.

Wait, I just remembered that the MITx program tuition is based on income.  I submitted tax returns for the $500 per class tuition.  Some people might pay $5,000, but people who don't have a lot of income could maybe come away with a bunch of Harvard Extension credits for real cheap.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Life Long Learning
They would remain MIT credits unless the person finished the certificate program and then within three years enrolled in Harvard. After three years, certificate holders are ineligible to get Harvard credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • eriehiker
(10-02-2018, 11:07 PM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: They would remain MIT credits unless the person finished the certificate program and then within three years enrolled in Harvard. After three years, certificate holders are ineligible to get Harvard credits.

That's right.  One of the issues with the MITx program is that a person has to find a second school to take the certificate and award credits.  So this program has potential to be a landing space for those credits depending on when and how they transcript them.
(10-02-2018, 11:07 PM)collegecareerstudent Wrote: They would remain MIT credits unless the person finished the certificate program and then within three years enrolled in Harvard. After three years, certificate holders are ineligible to get Harvard credits.

Harvard and MIT share a lot.  The bookstore system is the same called the COOP.  The MIT MBA program wants students to take 3 Harvard courses. I know of no other MBA program that wants their students to take three classes from other colleges. These 3 Harvard classes do NOT need to be business classes. Very unique to MIT.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(10-02-2018, 11:17 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Harvard and MIT share a lot.  The bookstore system is the same called the COOP.  The MIT MBA program wants students to take 3 Harvard courses.  I know of no other MBA program that wants their students to take three classes from other colleges.  These 3 Harvard classes do NOT need to be business classes.  Very unique to MIT.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but back when I was graduating HS, I was accepted for admission into Boston University. As part of that process, I learned that as part of enrollment, students at BU, MIT, and Harvard were allowed (encouraged) to take some number of classes at the other two schools. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend in the end but I thought that was a really interesting program.

I don't know if that cross-educational program still exists, but what you describe above sounds pretty similar.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Harvard and MIT (as a team) started edX, and MIT has said publicly many times that they want their Micromasters to work towards a degree at schools besides MIT- this is them actually doing what they said they would do!! I am so in love with the Micromaster's concept- I think it's a win/win for students.
You get an alternative CHEAP online at home opportunity to take ivy classes - if you hate them/they are hard/you fail- no paper trail. Zero. If you succeed, then to the next level you go! It's a meritocracy, which is my favorite kind of opportunity. Everyone enters from the same door, but those who work the hardest get to leave through a special one holding a master's degree from an ivy university.
Edit- this is the first time Harvard has done this, no doubt after watching MIT's Supply Chain program launch, and maybe feeling a little peer pressure... but if this goes well, imagine a whole catalog via this model. I'm super excited!
(10-03-2018, 07:59 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Harvard and MIT (as a team) started edX, and MIT has said publicly many times that they want their to work towards a degree at schools besides MIT- this is them actually doing what they said they would do!!  I am so in love with the Micromaster's concept- I think it's a win/win for students.  
You get an alternative CHEAP online at home opportunity to take ivy classes - if you hate them/they are hard/you fail- no paper trail.  Zero.  If you succeed, then to the next level you go!  It's a meritocracy, which is my favorite kind of opportunity.  Everyone enters from the same door, but those who work the hardest get to leave through a special one holding a master's degree from an ivy university.
Edit- this is the first time Harvard has done this, no doubt after watching MIT's Supply Chain program launch, and maybe feeling a little peer pressure... but if this goes well, imagine a whole catalog via this model.  I'm super excited!

This sounds excellent to me.  The question is will Corporations and Big Government accepts this Micromasters?  That is still the unknown.......
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).