Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edison State Univ vs. Thomas Edison
(02-22-2019, 09:42 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: A lot of great discussion here. As far as the resume is concerned... I was curious about what alums do who attended Stanford University, because the full name is Leland Stanford Junior University. I found a resume from Sergey Brin, and he puts it as Stanford University, not the full name. If an employer is going to get upset with me because I put Edison State University instead of Thomas Edison State University, then they better feel the same way if they have a Stanford applicant who puts Stanford University and not the full name. If not, then what? Is that elitism?

https://www.businessinsider.com/sergey-b...gle-2017-9

That is a valid point I was not aware of. It may be a case of the nickname becoming more widely known than the actual name. I certainly haven't heard the full name before because it's most commonly referred to simply as Stanford. In fact, they seem to refer to themselves simply as Stanford or Stanford University on their clothing and throughout the website:  https://www.stanford.edu/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-22-2019, 09:42 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: A lot of great discussion here. As far as the resume is concerned... I was curious about what alums do who attended Stanford University, because the full name is Leland Stanford Junior University. I found a resume from Sergey Brin, and he puts it as Stanford University, not the full name. If an employer is going to get upset with me because I put Edison State University instead of Thomas Edison State University, then they better feel the same way if they have a Stanford applicant who puts Stanford University and not the full name. If not, then what? Is that elitism?

Everyone calls it Stanford University. Even Stanford University calls itself Stanford University. No one would have any problems with finding info by only searching Stanford University. Everything about TESU is labeled as Thomas Edison State University.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-21-2019, 10:04 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: Hi all,

I would like to share a thought I've had, to see what you all think. I was thinking that it might good for us to drop the "Thomas" in Thomas Edison when referring to the university. This way, we would be saying Edison State, or Edison State University. I think it would place the emphasis on the State part of the name. It doesn't matter to those of us here, because we already know it is a state university. But others don't. 

Do you think that when you use "Thomas Edison State University," with people, that the "State" part is clear enough to them? I just wonder if the name of "Thomas Edison" is what they remember, rather than "Edison State." 

I always use Edison State University on my resume, employment documents, etc. I want it to be super clear that this is a state school. I don't want people's minds getting stuck on the "Thomas Edison" part.

Does any of this make sense??? Of course, I'm not talking about pushing to change the actual name. Just to change the name that we use when talking about the university with others. What do you all think? Have you ever wondered about this?

TESU (and previously TESC) is wayyyyy shorter than typing out any of the options you're suggesting.
Also, why would your resume not list the school's name properly? We had a discussion here not too long ago that talked about Edison State appearing on LinkedIn and we were trying to assess if the person's claim was a fraud. Seriously, I can't think of a single reason for an honest person to modify a college's name in any way.
(02-22-2019, 10:00 AM)sanantone Wrote:

Everyone calls it Stanford University. Even Stanford University calls itself Stanford University. No one would have any problems with finding info by only searching Stanford University. Everything about TESU is labeled as Thomas Edison State University.
This. It may well be elitism or whatever, but that’s not your fight. Or at the very least, if you choose to make it your fight, your resume is not the appropriate battlefield for it. Your job as an applicant is to provide a hiring manager with accurate information about your degrees and credentials. Listing Edison State University doesn’t fulfill that obligation. 

I actually am a hiring manager, and while degrees aren’t necessary for any of the positions I hire for, I do occasionally look up a school if I’ve never heard of it, or if the major listed sounds strange. If I see that you’ve listed Edison State University, and I can’t find a record of that or you tell me in conversation that you left off the “Thomas” for no good reason, I’m going to assume you are a liar. Or that you aren’t careful enough or knowledgeable enough to list the correct name of the University that provided your degree. The first scenario reflects terribly on you as a person. The second scenario reflects terribly on the institution that gave you the degree and invalidates the whole reason you’re listing it as an accomplishment.

Hiring managers are not stupid for the most part, and most of us know how to read. Shortening the name does not highlight the fact that it is a state school, it just uneccessarily obscures your achievements and casts doubt on you as an applicant. Don’t do that to yourself.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • Muldoon, suzycupcake
(02-22-2019, 05:53 PM)Tedium Wrote: I actually am a hiring manager, and while degrees aren’t necessary for any of the positions I hire for, I do occasionally look up a school if I’ve never heard of it, or if the major listed sounds strange. If I see that you’ve listed Edison State University, and I can’t find a record of that or you tell me in conversation that you left off the “Thomas” for no good reason, I’m going to assume you are a liar. Or that you aren’t careful enough or knowledgeable enough to list the correct name of the University that provided your degree. The first scenario reflects terribly on you as a person. The second scenario reflects terribly on the institution that gave you the degree and invalidates the whole reason you’re listing it as an accomplishment.

Hiring managers are not stupid for the most part, and most of us know how to read. Shortening the name does not highlight the fact that it is a state school, it just uneccessarily obscures your achievements and casts doubt on you as an applicant. Don’t do that to yourself.

As a hiring manager where college degrees are often considered as part of the application review process, I agree with the above.

Not showing the correct name of a college is going to cause nothing but problems.
  • If you're applying via an ATS system, it will probably flag or drop your CV/resume because it cannot find a match for the college.
  • If your CV/resume is reviewed by a human, a lot of hiring managers will at least google a college they don't recognize. If they cannot find the college, they will probably throw out your resume on the assumption that you're lying about having the degree to begin with. Best case they just assume you incorrectly listed it, but many (most?) will toss your resume anyway for lack of attention to detail rather than ask about it.
In any case, it seems like a bad idea to me.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Tedium
(02-22-2019, 05:53 PM)Tedium Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 10:00 AM)sanantone Wrote:

This. It may well be elitism or whatever, but that’s not your fight. Or at the very least, if you choose to make it your fight, your resume is not the appropriate battlefield for it. Your job as an applicant is to provide a hiring manager with accurate information about your degrees and credentials. Listing Edison State University doesn’t fulfill that obligation. 

I actually am a hiring manager, and while degrees aren’t necessary for any of the positions I hire for, I do occasionally look up a school if I’ve never heard of it, or if the major listed sounds strange. If I see that you’ve listed Edison State University, and I can’t find a record of that or you tell me in conversation that you left off the “Thomas” for no good reason, I’m going to assume you are a liar. Or that you aren’t careful enough or knowledgeable enough to list the correct name of the University that provided your degree. The first scenario reflects terribly on you as a person. The second scenario reflects terribly on the institution that gave you the degree and invalidates the whole reason you’re listing it as an accomplishment.

Reading your post reminded me of something. While applications usually ask for the location of the school, people typically don't put this on resumes. Since there are so many schools with similar names, it would be hard for the reader to tell if you're talking about the Thomas Edison State University that comes up when they google "Edison State University," or if they should search deeper for an actual Edison State University. 

Remember that TESU used to be Thomas Edison State College, and there's an Edison State College. Just think about the confusion that would cause if you left off "Thomas."
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • SweetSecret, Tedium
Great thread. I also get people who refer to it as Thomas Jefferson U lol! It's just not well known and people just don't know better. I think you should should leave it as it is on your resume for all the reasons listed above. I do remember Chris Christie wanting to merge TESU with Rutgers and I wish it would still happenSmile Let's start a petition!
TESC: BA and AA, Liberal Studies, History concentration, 2011

Regents College (Excelsior): AS, Liberal Studies, 2000

Trident Technical College: Certified Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, EKG Technician, 1994-1996
(03-11-2019, 07:10 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Great thread. I also get people who refer to it as Thomas Jefferson U lol! It's just not well known and people just don't know better. I think you should should leave it as it is on your resume for all the reasons listed above. I do remember Chris Christie wanting to merge TESU with Rutgers and I wish it would still happenSmile Let's start a petition!

Suddenly waking up with a Rutgers degree that you tested out of would be the life hack of the century.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Thanks to everybody for their replies. I'm glad that I brought up the subject. I could have sworn that it was here on this forum that there was some discussion about how locals in the area of Trenton, New Jersey, refer to it as Edison State. Maybe that was somewhere else. I could have sworn it was here and I should have mentioned that in my original post.
 But, regardless, all of your points are really well taken. I do list the state and the city next to the name so I don't think there would be any confusion. If somebody thinks I'm lying, well, that's just over the top. But whatever. Based on what you guys have said I'm going to go back to calling at Thomas Edison State University. I don't want anybody to feel confused or misled.
OT, did the forms change again? Something is different and I don't think I like it.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
(03-11-2019, 07:46 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: Thanks to everybody for their replies. I'm glad that I brought up the subject. I could have sworn that it was here on this forum that there was some discussion about how locals in the area of Trenton, New Jersey, refer to it as Edison State. Maybe that was somewhere else. I could have sworn it was here and I should have mentioned that in my original post.
 But, regardless, all of your points are really well taken. I do list the state and the city next to the name so I don't think there would be any confusion. If somebody thinks I'm lying, well, that's just over the top. But whatever. Based on what you guys have said I'm going to go back to calling at Thomas Edison State University. I don't want anybody to feel confused or misled.
OT, did the forms change again? Something is different and I don't think I like it.

It was my thread. There's a guy I know who lists "Edison State College" on his CV, but he's not from New Jersey. We found a handful of other resumes with "Edison State College." A few of us agreed that it wasn't a good idea, especially considering that there is an Edison State College and TESC is now Thomas Edison State University.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,088 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Arizona State University grading Carnation 5 804 10-19-2023, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,367 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 7,582 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Weber State University - CS Flex program karehiro 5 1,339 05-18-2022, 11:44 PM
  Metropolitan State University of Denver - Self-Pace Online Courses nomaduser 1 1,087 09-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Canadians - Liberty 30% off Tuition & Maine In-state Pricing! bjcheung77 1 898 03-14-2021, 12:16 PM