Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU
(09-13-2017, 07:47 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I'm not really sure what career I'm shooting for. I'm thinking that eventually I'd like to be in the engineering field. As far as future degree down the road, that will probably be a master's maybe in engineering (I'm sure I'll have to take extra classes to meet prereqs)
Not necessarily.  The MS/ME can be a "pure engineering" degree, but becoming common are "engineering management" and other sort of hybrid "engineering+something else" masters.  The prereqs for the hybrids often are less rigorous.  I've seen them with as little as a single "intro to engineering" (any flavor) class plus calc 1, provided that the bachelors degree was in a "closely related field" with a decent GPA.  
If you *are* interested in the sci/eng side of the masters field, though, I'd try to load up the bachelors with as many of the masters prereqs as possible using the gen-ed/free elective slots (unless you just want speed, and don't mind additional classes down the road), so you won't waste time before the masters.  But if a hybrid-type sounds good, then you won't have to worry about much in the way of prereqs.
(09-13-2017, 07:47 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Thank you for your replies! Yes I have narrowed it down to just the nuclear engineering technology program for each college. I applied to both and am still awaiting my evaluation from Thomas Edison. Once, I have that I can plan out what my degree path for either college would be class by class alternative credit by alternative credit. Then I can figure which will be cheaper and faster!
I'm not really sure what career I'm shooting for. I'm thinking that eventually I'd like to be in the engineering field. As far as future degree down the road, that will probably be a master's maybe in engineering (I'm sure I'll have to take extra classes to meet prereqs) or maybe business.

How was the evaluation from Excelsior?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(07-09-2017, 07:10 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Hello, all. First post here. I've been off and on checking this forum for a few years now and have gathered a lot of useful information.

I was recently honorably separated from the Navy and am finally ready to start my degree. I have a few university credits already and a lot of credits on my joint service transcript(mostly from Navy Nuke program). Before I start, though, I have to decide on which school and which program. Both schools appear to have very similar nuclear engineering technology programs which I know will accept a lot of my transfer credits(I've been in talks with them). I was also looking into excelsior's BS in electrical engineering technology and TESU's BS in electronics systems engineering technology. All 4 of those programs have ABET accreditation.

Does anyone have any familiarity with these programs? Specifically, I was wondering how the labs are handled, whether I can do them online or have to find an equivalent class at a local cc? My main goal is to pick whichever will be the fastest(assuming they accept similar amount of transfer credits) and cheapest route(trying to save my GI bill for a more expensive degree down the road), with consideration given if one program is better than the others.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I’ve completed the TESU BS NEET. I am also now enrolled in the BSIT Cybersecurity/MS Cybersecurity dual degree at Excelsior so I have experience at both schools. If you still need assistance let me know. 

PS. I also have an MBA from WGU so if you have some questions about that school I may be able to help there as well. 
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
Hello everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. TESU and excelsior academic evaluations were almost identical so I decided to choose TESU based on me using the guardian scholarship and being a little easier to transfer some credits( I think). It turns out that the TESU NET is NOT ABET but the TESU NEET is ABET so I switched to that(it is a few more classes).

I'm hoping to finish up as many credits as I can through study.com and the other alternative credit sources.

courses I have finished since receiving my evaluation are:

TEEX Cyber security for everyone 2 cr (finished today, waiting for it to hit my ace transcript)
Sophia Developing effective teams 1 cr
Sophia essentials of managing conflict 1 cr
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 2 cr
Study.com finance 102 3cr(finished a week ago final grade is pending)

right now my academic evaluation looks like this:
still need:
3 cr English 102 (study.com english 105)
3 cr Mat 231 (calc 1) (study.com math 104)
3 cr information literacy (?)
3 cr diversity (?)
3 cr ethics (institutes hopefully that still works)
3 cr civic engagement (?)
6 cr human cultures (?)
2 cr physics 1 & 2 lab (?)
3 cr calc 2(?)
1 cr tes100 (TESU im guessing thats the only option)
3 cr principals of statistics 201(study.com statistics 101)
1 cr chemistry lab(?)
3 cr Computer Programming/Programable logic controllers(?)
3 cr electrical theory(?)
3 cr reactors/instrumentation(TESU?)
3 cr nuclear instrumentation(TESU?)
3 cr radiation effects(TESU?)
3 cr assessment(TESU?)
4 cr capstone(TESU?)
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Life Long Learning

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Application Fee Waiver ECH90 2 2,622 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,347 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,256 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU- Admission kruxalk20 15 3,369 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,648 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,333 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,316 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Waiving Application Fee for Military Iamtehking 0 1,618 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Iamtehking
  Army MLT - ASAST or BSAST at TESU? MLTtoMLS 11 4,482 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM