Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English comp 1 & 2 : Study vs Straighterline
BingCherry Wrote:So is Straighterline the same as Study in how it grades? As in you take a lot of quizzes that count toward your total grade with the final exam? Or is it just one test at the end of a course? So if I know the topic I could go right through it asap and not read much at all- just take quizzes and final and be done? *edit: also, can you retake the quizzes like on Study until you get a 100%?

SL is set up in modules/chapters. There's usually one test per module. In SL, I think you can only retake the lowest. I *think* in E4C, you can retake each chapter test up to three times. At least in English II and whatever literature course I took, anyway.

You could absolutely go directly to the tests and not read the course materials in both SL and E4C. But I wouldn't recommend it. If you skim it and think you got a handle on it, that's another thing entirely.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

BingCherry Wrote:So is Straighterline the same as Study in how it grades? As in you take a lot of quizzes that count toward your total grade with the final exam? Or is it just one test at the end of a course? So if I know the topic I could go right through it asap and not read much at all- just take quizzes and final and be done? *edit: also, can you retake the quizzes like on Study until you get a 100%?

As far as English Comp I is concerned they are not the same. SL has 24 assignments which consists of 15 quizzes and 9 writing assignments each assignment is weighted with points ranging from 10 to a 100. The total possible points for the course is 1000. For Study.com it looks like there are quizzes and some essays. The quizzes total 100 points essays 1 and 2 are 25 points, essay 3 is 50. The proctored final exam is 100 points for a total of 300 possible points.

This should give you an idea of the differences.
I took both through study.com and something worth noting about study.com is that if you can get enough points from the quizzes, final, and first two essays, then they don't make you do the final essay. So even though they say that there are 3 essays on each there are potentially only two that need to be done if you do well enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gremlinbrawler's post:
  • Arto
gremlinbrawler Wrote:I took both through study.com and something worth noting about study.com is that if you can get enough points from the quizzes, final, and first two essays, then they don't make you do the final essay. So even though they say that there are 3 essays on each there are potentially only two that need to be done if you do well enough.

This is how I completed Comp 1. I had more time to complete Comp 2, so i did all 3 essays before doing final.
I have a feeling I'll be paying study.com another $200 to do these two. I never learned this style of writing and I definitely think this basic course will serve me well in the future.... my current style is a bit more umm... creative.
High_Order1 Wrote:There are only 5-6 big writing assignments in English 1.

Yes but personally I think the small ones (even the 10 point ones) take up a lot more time than the quizzes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 8 304 Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Last Post: louise
  Straighterline Spanish 1 yc1981 4 127 Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,027 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 539 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 200 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,572 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,666 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,221 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 774 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 357 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya