Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Enrolled at TESC without a plan... Woops...
So I enrolled at TESC without a plan for completing my degree... I've had no prior college courses, so I'm starting fresh. I've done lots of research on StraighterLine and ALEKS and thought they'd be good for getting my basic... However my employer was pushing me to enroll in school so I could be considered for management so I did without a real plan. Now, I need to pick a TESC class to take (only taking one class to start and get my feet wet), but then focus on completing it and the other basics I need (such as English from StraighterLine and Math from ALEKS). My selected major is BA in Computer Science.

I work in technology doing database administration and programming so I'm really looking forward to taking classes that interest me (and not the basics). I know the CS degree requires an Intro to Computer Science course which is met according to a councilor by this class, "Introduction to Computers" Thomas Edison State College: Secondary Category Landing Page

However I have a feeling that's going to be too basic for me, and I could probably pass it doing a PLA course instead, so I thought about taking the Programming C class (a language I'm not too familiar with). Thomas Edison State College: Secondary Category Landing Page

Or should I just bite the bullet and take English Comp I with TESC and try to take Comp II with StraighterLine?

I should also note that my employer pays 100% of my tuition at TESC up to $5000 a year / $25000 lifetime which is why I enrolled so quickly, but I do not think that amount will cover a full degree from TESC which is why I wanted to do some alternatives like StraighterLine / ALEKS (plus those may be faster than TESC in some cases)...
You made no mention of taking any CLEPs, DSSTs, and TECEPs...? Are you looking for a Bachelors or and Associates?
Whichever degree you choose, you'll want to take as many tests as possibly to get through the fastest and for the cheapest price. You mention that you have no previous "college courses" do you have any credits at all?
Sorry, I'm not opposed to taking CLEP/DSST/TECEP but I haven't been in any form of school since highschool 15 years ago. I'm looking at a 4 year BA in Computer Science. Like I said, I have no college credits at all.
BradF1979 Wrote:Sorry, I'm not opposed to taking CLEP/DSST/TECEP but I haven't been in any form of school since highschool 15 years ago. I'm looking at a 4 year BA in Computer Science. Like I said, I have no college credits at all.

There's no time like the present. There's quite a few folks on here who haven't been in school for a while, and in a lot of cases it can work to your advantage (life experience, etc). No need to worry about that.

IMHO, I think the best option is to take a crack and some CLEPs and DSSTs.
One option is to forget about TESC and plow with some tests.
Another one is take a TESC course or two and work on tests that will come easier to you at a slower pace, then kicking it up a notch when the courses are done.
Straighterline and ALEKs are still excellent options, monthly subscriptions to those are considerably cheap and multiple courses can get nocked out that way.

I'd suggest not worrying about starting any courses right now. Find some credits that you can work at via CLEP, DSST, SL, or ALEKS, and just start to roll with whatever will come most comfortable. Pick something and go!
There are worse things you could have done. Actually taking classes with TESC sort of defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. The "Big 3", including TESC, are remarkable because they accept so much transfer credit that can be acquired cheaply.

To be completely honest I think you can make better use of $5000/year at another school. You should be seeking to maximize the return on your employers investment...both for them and you. That amount can probably cover your costs at a State school, or any number of online options. Heck...that much cash is halfway to the tuition at Harvard Extension....which I bet puts on a pretty challenging CS course or two! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Unfortunately, I don't want to simply forget about TESC and start taking tests. For one, I've paid a application fee of $150. Secondly, in order to be considered for promotion at my company, I have to be enrolled and taking classes which is why I posted to get advice on what type of class I should look to take for my first one with TESC (knowing that I will eventually look to CLEP, TECEP, StraighterLine/ALEKS in the future).

Thanks!
rebel100 Wrote:There are worse things you could have done. Actually taking classes with TESC sort of defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. The "Big 3", including TESC, are remarkable because they accept so much transfer credit that can be acquired cheaply.

To be completely honest I think you can make better use of $5000/year at another school. You should be seeking to maximize the return on your employers investment...both for them and you. That amount can probably cover your costs at a State school, or any number of online options. Heck...that much cash is halfway to the tuition at Harvard Extension....which I bet puts on a pretty challenging CS course or two! Smile

Except they only do 100% of the credit hour reimbursement at TESC through a partnership with them. With other schools, they only cover a maximum of $150 per credit hour. I have 2 kids in day care and not much disposable income, that cost is greater than my mortgage, which is why I wanted the least out of pocket option I could find and thus chose TESC.
I'm not sure how or what you want incorporated into your degree (how much testing etc.). If you wanted to test out of most of it, try and take some courses that you can't test of... There will, in all likelihood, be some prerequisites, so after those are done focus on the courses you'd need to take (granted you want to test out of the majority). This would be your best bet, with 2 kids, it would work to your disadvantage trying to work through the courses. Keep the courses to a minimum (to meet your employer's criteria) while working on SL, ALEKS, and/or a CLEP or DSST on the side.

Here are the courses you'll HAVE to do regardless (I did NOT check on what prerequisites are required, but you should be able to find that out in their catalog).

Linear Algebra or Discrete Math

8 of the following:
LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone
Artificial Intelligence
Assembly Language
Comparative Programming Languages
Compiler Construction
Computer Architecture
Computer Arithmetic Algorithms
Computer Information Systems
Computer Organization
Computer Statistical Techniques
Computer Simulation
Operations Research
Problem Analysis and Solution
Programming Languages
Software Engineering
Switching Theory and Automata
UNIX

EDIT: Does that $5000 a year include testing fees (the actual test fee and maybe the proctor?? Does that $5000 also include things like SL or ALEKS?
BradF1979 Wrote:Except they only do 100% of the credit hour reimbursement at TESC through a partnership with them. With other schools, they only cover a maximum of $150 per credit hour. I have 2 kids in day care and not much disposable income, that cost is greater than my mortgage, which is why I wanted the least out of pocket option I could find and thus chose TESC.

Well, OK I see where your coming from....I don't think you can maximize the employer contribution unless you take advantage of the comprehensive tuition plan...which means settle in for 15-18 credits per semester with a couple more classes over the summer. That's still only fully effective if your a resident of NJ. It's tough to study for CLEP while taking a heavy regular courseload...but doable if your motivated. What state are you in? $150/cr goes a long way in some places...not far at all in others. With that max of 25K I would be working all the angles to see that employer buy my degrees at least through a Masters. But you will have to be a wise shopper to pull it off.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Unfortunately that $5000 doesn't cover any testing nor does it cover things like SL/ALEKS. I understand there is going to be some out-of-pocket by me through CLEP, TECEP, SL/ALEKS while doing my degree if I want to finish in a reasonable amount of time. I think that list is a good one that you gave and should help me find something to start...

There is no way I can take 15-18 credit hours per semester with 2 kids and a full-time job. It's just not feasible. I wanted ultimate flexibility in getting my degree, and the fact that my work partners with TESC, made it seem like a no-brainer...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,224 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 635 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 857 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Enrolled by Dec 31 Sparklette 12 2,196 12-16-2022, 10:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMass Global plan expansion! bjcheung77 1 751 07-16-2022, 12:36 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition-Free College Movement Gains Momentum, Despite Biden’s Stalled Plan LevelUP 6 1,461 03-06-2022, 08:13 PM
  UNC’s $97 Million Plan bjcheung77 4 965 12-13-2021, 12:51 PM
  I finally enrolled. Terrified now! lillingworth 11 1,706 06-04-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Help with AA plan? iwantmydegreeplz 7 1,848 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: allvia