Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethics in America-DSST
Im prepping for the Ethics in America-DSST....
How was it for you? Thanks
I am also preparing - my test is this Friday. The last credits needed for my degree so I'm feeling a LOT of pressure. If you search the forum there is a post that goes back to 2007, with recent posts in 2015 regarding the test. I read that the test was redone, making it easier and that many felt they didn't do well during the test, but ended up with a passing score. the pass rate for internet based tests for Ethics in America (FY13) was 83%, so that boost a little confidence!
It requires study, but isn't difficult.

Know the different philosophers (Socrates, Kant, Hume, etc.), their theories on Ethics, and how to apply them. Read Elements of Moral Philosophy by Rachels (its a small book, an old edition is fine like ISBN978-0072476903); and if you have access, do the flashcards on this site and you will pass. If you are transferring the credits to one of the Big 3, there is no need to do the essay at the end, just skip it.

And make sure you read this:

http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/d...merica.pdf

Also, DSST (prometric) lets you take practice exams for like $10 if you want to get a feel for the real thing
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Why it is called Ethics in America? It seems like Socrates, Kant, Hume, etc. make the general topic of ethics broader than "in America" seems to imply.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:Why it is called Ethics in America? It seems like Socrates, Kant, Hume, etc. make the general topic of ethics broader than "in America" seem to imply.

Good point. I think maybe it is based partly on an old panel show called ethics in america that I had seen before on PBS. Or maybe not..

But the section on the application of Ethics may be the "in America" part since they tackle issues like Euthanasia, abortion, etc. Where it Ethics in the ISIS caliphate, it would basically be a course on the Koran.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Good point. I think maybe it is based partly on an old panel show called ethics in america that I had seen before on PBS. Or maybe not..

But the section on the application of Ethics may be the "in America" part since they tackle issues like Euthanasia, abortion, etc. Where it Ethics in the ISIS caliphate, it would basically be a course on the Koran.

As far as I can remember that show is available on learner.org I also think that while ethics in other cultures are relevant ethics in America relates to our business culture which is different than say Ireland or Asia
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
I believe that it is because America Ethics have foundations in Greek/Roman ethics, I took this literally today. There was an ethical argument section at the end, basically state an opinion for highlighting ethical issues, and against highlighting ethical issues.
I am trying to study for this, but I can't. Sorry to say I just can't get into it! Or at least the philospher part....any suggestions on how to get into it and understand? I feel like I'm just reading and not comprehending cause I'm bored!
3600jessica Wrote:I am trying to study for this, but I can't. Sorry to say I just can't get into it! Or at least the philospher part....any suggestions on how to get into it and understand? I feel like I'm just reading and not comprehending cause I'm bored!

I thoroughly enjoyed the videos from The School Of Life!

Here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWbZmg2hzU

Type in the philosophers name and bingo:

https://www.youtube.com/user/schooloflif...y=immanuel
I am working on prepping for this on Saturday myself.

However, I got a bit of concern on taking the prometric practice test and scoring a 58. There were several things I hadn't seen in the IC cards. I studied what I missed(though one or two of their answers seems a bit sketchy when I looked it up)

I got a 76 on a peterson's the next day, and an 89 on my second peterson's today, so hopefully things are shaping up. Just a bit worried since the prometric one is by the company that gives it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 103 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 355 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  A neuroscientist explains why stupidity is an existential threat to America bjcheung77 0 418 04-07-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 796 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 754 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 493 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Books that Shaped America Charles Fout 2 381 09-24-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,854 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Quick/cheap option for Ethics? Insert Name 4 868 07-22-2022, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  How America Pays For College Alpha 0 730 11-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Alpha