Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Credit Transfer System
I've been doing a little reading about the ECTS and while it's really not that hard to understand the basics, one thing that's not clear to me is if there is built into that system any source(s) of alternative credit such as CLEP, etc. or is it based entirely on standard coursework at universities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_C...ion_System
(03-03-2021, 11:40 AM)Alpha Wrote: I've been doing a little reading about the ECTS and while it's really not that hard to understand the basics, one thing that's not clear to me is if there is built into that system any source(s) of alternative credit such as CLEP, etc. or is it based entirely on standard coursework at universities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_C...ion_System
In the Netherlands, it is only coursework. When you switch to another university you start with zero. Sometimes are you allowed to transfer 30 ects to put in "free space" or minor when you change.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
Europe really expects you to stay with the same university throughout your school experience. It makes sense: universities are free/cheap for EU residents so why make things harder than they should be? Not being able to accelerate is, as I understand it, a feature and not a bug.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(03-03-2021, 01:19 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Europe really expects you to stay with the same university throughout your school experience. It makes sense: universities are free/cheap for EU residents so why make things harder than they should be? Not being able to accelerate is, as I understand it, a feature and not a bug.

Man if that was how the US worked, many of us would have completed our degrees YEARS ago! Transferring is a big thing here and then you get squat for credit so it makes no sense. And we pay quite a bit for this goofy system here. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-03-2021, 02:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 01:19 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Europe really expects you to stay with the same university throughout your school experience. It makes sense: universities are free/cheap for EU residents so why make things harder than they should be? Not being able to accelerate is, as I understand it, a feature and not a bug.

Man if that was how the US worked, many of us would have completed our degrees YEARS ago! Transferring is a big thing here and then you get squat for credit so it makes no sense. And we pay quite a bit for this goofy system here. 

I think that they are slightly more selective about who they let into their programs. But, yeah, once you're in, the universities are pretty affordable. The biggest expense is usually your housing, AFAIK.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
I've been hearing (elsewhere) from some folks who believe that somehow ECTS can be transmuted into credits at the Big 3. The idea is to earn certificates in Europe that carry from maybe 30 to 60 ECTS, then have a Big 3 school accept / declare them as one half that number of credits. I know the math says that 2 ECTS = I US credit (time-wise, etc.) but I thought this "direct -to-credits-at Big 3" interchange was either unlikely or impossible.

There are oodles of these certs, available by DL - offering genuine ECTS and some are INCREDIBLY cheap. I'm no Big 3 expert. Many of you are. What do you think? Can it be done? If so, how? Course by course basis, maybe? If it IS possible - how much would it likely cost? There may be grad and undergrad ECTS involved here.
(03-04-2021, 01:31 PM)Johann Wrote: I've been hearing (elsewhere) from some folks who believe that somehow ECTS can be transmuted into credits at the Big 3. The idea is to earn certificates in Europe that carry from maybe 30 to 60 ECTS, then have a Big 3 school accept / declare them as one half that number of credits. I know the math says that 2 ECTS = I US credit (time-wise, etc.) but I thought this "direct -to-credits-at Big 3" interchange was either unlikely or impossible.

There are oodles of these certs, available by DL - offering genuine ECTS and some are INCREDIBLY cheap. I'm no Big 3 expert. Many of you are. What do you think? Can it be done? If so, how? Course by course basis, maybe? If it IS possible - how much would it likely cost? There may be grad and undergrad ECTS involved here.
It wouldn't be direct. It would have to go through a Company suchas WES that translates the credits

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(03-04-2021, 01:31 PM)Johann Wrote: I've been hearing (elsewhere) from some folks who believe that somehow ECTS can be transmuted into credits at the Big 3. The idea is to earn certificates in Europe that carry from maybe 30 to 60 ECTS, then have a Big 3 school accept / declare them as one half that number of credits. I know the math says that 2 ECTS = I US credit (time-wise, etc.) but I thought this "direct -to-credits-at Big 3" interchange was either unlikely or impossible.

It wouldn't be direct, as already stated by ROYISAGIRL but ECTS from an actual university should still count as RA credits because the studies were completed at a university. The evaluator tells the American university what the completed studies "mean" and how they should be applied.

What is DL? Is it a university or are the certificates granted by actual universities? If not, they probably wouldn't count as RA credits. XAMK is currently the "best" deal for ECTS at a cost of $0 per ECTS. Unfortunately, the courses they offer wouldn't necessarily apply to any and every degree. Mostly to business or CS degrees.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Johann, Pikachu
Rachel83az: It wouldn't be direct, as already stated by ROYISAGIRL but ECTS from an actual university should still count as RA credits because the studies were completed at a university. The evaluator tells the American university what the completed studies "mean" and how they should be applied.

What is DL? Is it a university or are the certificates granted by actual universities? If not, they probably wouldn't count as RA credits. XAMK is currently the "best" deal for ECTS at a cost of $0 per ECTS. Unfortunately, the courses they offer wouldn't necessarily apply to any and every degree. Mostly to business or CS degrees.

Johann: They seem to be a mix. Most are taught by private schools and when completed, certified and awarded by partner universities. ENEB/Isabel 1 type of thing -- with them or some other players. Some directly from the university, I believe - not 100% sure. Thanks for the info. Looks like yes, it's possible but I'm pretty sure course-by course evaluation would likely cost more than some of the certificates. Still, if you could get 60 ECTS points evaluated as 30 credits for say, $300, that would be pretty cheap, even when you add in the cost of the cert. 

As I thought, it's not possible without a recognized evaluation. I got the impression that some (elsewhere) believed it could be done with NO intermediary - but only at the Big 3, by some special process. Not so, obviously..

Thanks, Rachel and Roy, for the info. Really clear.
(03-04-2021, 04:45 PM)Johann Wrote: Rachel83az: It wouldn't be direct, as already stated by ROYISAGIRL but ECTS from an actual university should still count as RA credits because the studies were completed at a university. The evaluator tells the American university what the completed studies "mean" and how they should be applied.

Johann: They seem to be a mix. Most are taught by private schools and when completed, certified by partner universities. ENEB/Isabel 1 type of thing -- with them or some other players. Some directly from the university, I believe - not 100% sure. Thanks for the info. Looks like yes, it's possible but I'm pretty sure course-by course evaluation would likely cost more than some of the certificates. Still, if you could get 60 ECTS points evaluated as 30 credits for say, $300, that would be pretty cheap, even when you add in the cost of the cert. 

As I thought, it's not possible without a recognized evaluation. I got the impression that some (elsewhere) believed it could be done with NO intermediary - but only at the Big 3. Not so, obviously..

Thanks, Rachel and Roy, for the info. Really clear.

In the US though most colleges/universities require international transcripts to be processed by WES and then sent from WES to the college/university. The evaluators let the school know what the transcripts mean, they don't tell the school how to accept the credits though. That is up to each individual school. Just because something is RA credit does not mean that a college/university has to accept it. Same holds true for all schools in the US. Transfer credits are quite often issues when transferring to traditional B&M schools. They're less of a problem in online programs such as the main ones we talk about on here. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,522 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 417 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,780 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,944 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 242 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 707 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 738 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 916 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 2,005 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas