Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Advice needed
Hello,
First of all, thanks for all of the great information on this forum!

I took my first two CLEP tests yesterday...Intro to Macroeconomics and Intro to Microeconomics. Using Instacert and a couple of links provided here, I managed to pass both tests (one easily, one barely...fatigue set in 1/2 way into second test). Woo-hoo! My first tests in 30 years. I'm sold!

I have the CLEP Accounting exam (the 6 credit version) scheduled for 6/29.

My Excelsior question is this....if I have 76 credits now (70 traditional and 6 CLEP), and plan on testing out of the remaining credits within the next 3-4 months mainly through CLEP and DANTES, when should I apply and enroll in Excelsior...before or after the CLEP Accounting?

BTW...I'll be going for the BS MIS

Thanks for any advice!
If I were you (if you haven't done so already) I'd map out my entire course plan with which tests you believe (and you can ask questions here and at forums.degreeinfo.com, many knowledgeable people on both sites) will fulfill all your remaining requirements, and then enroll close to the end. If you're under the gun for getting a class in before the deadline (such as the business policy 5-year rule), then go ahead, but the longer you wait the better off you'll be able to handle any last minute surprises. Good luck!
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
[SIZE="2"]At the very least you should "apply" and receive your initial evaluation of your current credits and what you will need. I would surmise that you should be able to earn the balance of your credits within the initial first year enrollment. Good Luck![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Thanks for the quick responses!

bawhitsett...Thanks for the advice and link!The credits that I earned previously are from an AA degree which cover the initial prerequisites, so from here on out, I will concentrate specifically on the Business and MIS specific requirements and take tests and/or classes.....so they should all be considered current.

ShotoJuku...I'll apply at Excelsior per your advice. I assume that I should have an answer back within 6 weeks (the time for all transcripts to arrive), then I can enroll?

Thanks again!
Try to apply within 1 year of when you think you will be able to finish. You want to get your path locked down and guaranteed. I just enrolled, and I am lacking around 45 credits or so. But most of them are filler and 5 of them are actual courses that I need to take.
Previous Credits:
Traditional 57
CLEP English w/essay 6
Heriot-Watt MBA 7 Modules + 1 Tenative Compensatory Pass

IC Study Credits:
Info. Systems & Comp Apps. CLEP 68
Principles of Marketing CLEP 79
Principles of Management CLEP 73
Working On B.S. Marketing from Excelsior & finishing MBA from Heriot-Watt
Total Credits to Date: 86
Geezer, You are in about the same situation I was in about 3 or 4 months ago. I agree with the other postings. Use resources such as Excelsior College, Value Of A College Education, Distance Learning Degree Program - 123collegedegree.com , or Online degrees by distance learning. BA in 4 Weeks and bain4weeks.com - online BA degrees and online graduate degees by examination., or the degreeinfo.com discussion boards and, of course, this instantcert forum to plan your degree path in detail.

I waited until I was at about 100 credits before I enrolled in Excelsior. And, in my humble opinion, I wouldn't bother enrolling until I knew I was within 6 months of getting my degree. You've got time. Kick some butt with CLEPs and DSSTs for a little while longer... 76 credits so far? Your doing great! Big Grin
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
For me, it was a bit easier to just enroll anyway. Having access to your advisor is needed. Sometimes you simply won't know what you need, what they'll necessarily accept without them telling you. If you haven't figured it out yet, they won't tell you squat until you're enrolled. Rolleyes A bit frustrating, but at the same time....they do go out of their way to help you reach your educational goals.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
Matymus Wrote:If you haven't figured it out yet, they won't tell you squat until you're enrolled. Rolleyes A bit frustrating,

And they won't tell you squat until the official eval is done after enrolling. I'm still waiting. Burns my britches a little to know that I still can't use an advisor for 2 months out of the 12 I paid for.
Greggy_D Wrote:And they won't tell you squat until the official eval is done after enrolling. I'm still waiting. Burns my britches a little to know that I still can't use an advisor for 2 months out of the 12 I paid for.

I know...it makes me mad too. You've waited for 2 months for your official eval to be completed????
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
No, it's been about 2 months since I applied and a month since the unofficial. Hey Excelsior.....just put the darn credits into the computer and look at what it spits out!!! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 688 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,656 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 558 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,242 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 679 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 527 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,067 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 457 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,486 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,395 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77