Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior BS in Cybersecurity Degree Plan
Are there any alternative credits for cybersecurity? 

BS in Cybersecurity Degree Plan: https://bit.ly/3lweBU2
I no nothing about this other than finding it on the ACE website, and googling it. It says free and earn credit.
https://teex.org/business-and-cyber-solutions/

Here's the ACE search where I found that. There's more there too: https://www.acenet.edu/Search/Pages/resu...20security

Can I ask why you are choosing to go completely with Study on the other courses, and not using Sophia too?
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
(07-14-2022, 05:49 PM)Insert Name Wrote: I no nothing about this other than finding it on the ACE website, and googling it. It says free and earn credit.

Here's the ACE search where I found that. There's more there too: https://www.acenet.edu/Search/Pages/resu...20security

Can I ask why you are choosing to go completely with Study on the other courses, and not using Sophia too?

I prefer Study over Sophia after trying both. Thx for this info, I'll look into it!
I feel like you put incorrect info on every degree plan you create. I feel bad for people who use these.

SDC's Math 108: Discrete Mathematics does not come in as the required Discrete Structures course at EC (as you would find if you looked it up on SDC's website: https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html

SDC's Business 212: Business Statistics is not accepted at EC per the above website. But you can use their regular stats course, or any other stats course instead.

Business Ethics is not required, you can bring in any ethics course.

You have a cost tab, which is completely incorrect - it does not denote that the price is only inclusive of the 7cr of required coursework at EC - none of the 36cr of Cybersecurity courses, nor the 3cr of Discrete Structures, is included in that price.

You also did not denote that EC will only allow up to 21cr of vendor certifications (CompTIA, Cisco, MS, ISC2, etc.). They also don't tell you what those certifications will cover, so you'd have to find out from EC directly what will/won't work. This is really important, as many people who work in IT already have lots of certs. If so, they'd be much better off at a school that advertises where certs will work for each degree, or even gives you certs as you go through the program, like WGU.

I think you need to be much more thorough before you post these things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • LevelUP
(07-14-2022, 05:49 PM)Insert Name Wrote: I no nothing about this other than finding it on the ACE website, and googling it. It says free and earn credit.

The TEEX Cybersecurity courses aren't active and haven't been active since November 2021. However, other TEEX courses are active once again!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-16-2022, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I feel like you put incorrect info on every degree plan you create.  I feel bad for people who use these.

SDC's Math 108: Discrete Mathematics does not come in as the required Discrete Structures course at EC (as you would find if you looked it up on SDC's website: https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html

SDC's Business 212: Business Statistics is not accepted at EC per the above website.  But you can use their regular stats course, or any other stats course instead.

You have a cost tab, which is completely incorrect - it does not denote that the price is only inclusive of the 7cr of required coursework at EC - none of the 36cr of Cybersecurity courses, nor the 3cr of Discrete Structures, is included in that price.

You also did not denote that EC will only allow up to 21cr of vendor certifications (CompTIA, Cisco, MS, ISC2, etc.).  They also don't tell you what those certifications will cover, so you'd have to find out from EC directly what will/won't work.  This is really important, as many people who work in IT already have lots of certs.  If so, they'd be much better off at a school that advertises where certs will work for each degree, or even gives you certs as you go through the program, like WGU.

Most people want to see an actual map of degree requirements or what to take and this provides that. The first thing I say on the top of every degree plan is to have a Study.com college coach verify the classes before you take them. Excelsior advisors are best to verify every class for the degree before taking them but they have to have actual classes to ask the advisor if they will meet the degree requirements, which this degree plan provides. 

Instead of being dramatic and saying you feel bad for people using my degree plans, maybe you could offer your knowledge without being rude and more people would benefit. I have no problem admitting if I make a mistake on a degree plan and fixing it if someone knows something I don't. That is the entire purpose of this forum, that we can all learn from each other and help each other reach our educational goals. You are incorrect in two of the 4 things you point out. Everyone else in the forum seems to help each other but you comment and phrase things as condescending towards others. 

The cost tab is not incorrect. It shows what the price is for the credits that are planned with a question mark for the price of the cybersecurity credits since those are NOT planned and will depend on how and where you take them. 

You also did not denote that EC will only allow up to 21cr of vendor certifications (CompTIA, Cisco, MS, ISC2, etc.).
It clearly says on the degree plan: Earn 78 credits on Study, 7 credits on Excelsior, & 36 credits from other certifications and classes. Not knowing the number they accept in certifications does not mean I'm giving out incorrect information, this is a DIY degree plan where I give as much information as I know to help others. Now that you mentioned 21 specifically, I'll add that to the plan so others can benefit.

I have 4 ethics classes listed on the gen ed tab to choose from on Study to meet the ethics requirement. The Excelsior catalog mentions business ethics for this degree. I didn't realize I had "required" next to business ethics so I removed that. Anyone who would have taken business ethics would not have taken the "wrong" thing as it IS an option and the one Excelsior mentions.

SDC's Math 108: Discrete Mathematics does not come in as the required Discrete Structures course at EC.
This is a class that I was told covered this requirement but it was also the classes I wasn't 100% sure about which is why I state in EVERY degree plan: This is a DIY degree plan for students to pick classes, learn helpful tips, and to find links and resources to show how easy it is to earn college credit on Study and graduate with a regionally accredited bachelor degree. Study offers college coaches to verify classes before you take them.

(07-16-2022, 12:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I feel like you put incorrect info on every degree plan you create.  I feel bad for people who use these.

The degree plans are inaccurate and contain only Study.com courses, which wouldn't be the quickest/cheapest path to go.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-16-2022, 03:31 PM)dragonwolf Wrote:

SDC's Business 212: Business Statistics is not accepted at EC per the above website.  But you can use their regular stats course, or any other stats course instead.

You also did not denote that EC will only allow up to 21cr of vendor certifications (CompTIA, Cisco, MS, ISC2, etc.).  They also don't tell you what those certifications will cover, so you'd have to find out from EC directly what will/won't work.  This is really important, as many people who work in IT already have lots of certs.  If so, they'd be much better off at a school that advertises where certs will work for each degree, or even gives you certs as you go through the program, like WGU.

Most people want to see an actual map of degree requirements or what to take and this provides that. The first thing I say on the top of every degree plan is to have a Study.com college coach verify the classes before you take them. Excelsior advisors are best to verify every class for the degree before taking them but they have to have actual classes to ask the advisor if they will meet the degree requirements, which this degree plan provides. 

Instead of being dramatic and saying you feel bad for people using my degree plans, maybe you could offer your knowledge without being rude and more people would benefit. I have no problem admitting if I make a mistake on a degree plan and fixing it if someone knows something I don't. That is the entire purpose of this forum, that we can all learn from each other and help each other reach our educational goals. You are incorrect in two of the 4 things you point out. Everyone else in the forum seems to help each other but you comment and phrase things as condescending towards others. 

The cost tab is not incorrect. It shows what the price is for the credits that are planned with a question mark for the price of the cybersecurity credits since those are NOT planned and will depend on how and where you take them. 

You also did not denote that EC will only allow up to 21cr of vendor certifications (CompTIA, Cisco, MS, ISC2, etc.).
It clearly says on the degree plan: Earn 78 credits on Study, 7 credits on Excelsior, & 36 credits from other certifications and classes. Not knowing the number they accept in certifications does not mean I'm giving out incorrect information, this is a DIY degree plan where I give as much information as I know to help others. Now that you mentioned 21 specifically, I'll add that to the plan so others can benefit.

I have 4 ethics classes listed on the gen ed tab to choose from on Study to meet the ethics requirement. The Excelsior catalog mentions business ethics for this degree. I didn't realize I had "required" next to business ethics so I removed that. Anyone who would have taken business ethics would not have taken the "wrong" thing as it IS an option and the one Excelsior mentions.

SDC's Math 108: Discrete Mathematics does not come in as the required Discrete Structures course at EC.
This is a class that I was told covered this requirement but it was also the classes I wasn't 100% sure about which is why I state in EVERY degree plan: This is a DIY degree plan for students to pick classes, learn helpful tips, and to find links and resources to show how easy it is to earn college credit on Study and graduate with a regionally accredited bachelor degree. Study offers college coaches to verify classes before you take them.

I have corrected every single degree plan you put on here.  But I don't think I should have to.  You should be putting out correct info, or else nothing at the point that you just don't know.  An inaccurate degree plan is just not helpful to anyone.

I'm also not sure why you're pushing SDC so hard.  I mean, I get that YOU like them.  But I'm not understanding why you're creating full degree plans using them as the main source, when plenty of people want to use other methods and would benefit from them.  If it's your preferred method, great - you should disclose that.

I'm also not sure why you're creating degree plans for a degree that cannot be gotten pretty easily at a school like EC?  It's just odd.  I like them as well as the next person, I recommend them all the time.  But I only recommend inexpensive degrees, not ones that will cost $10-$20k.  People need to know that there are better options out there for that particular degree.

It just seems odd to me that you're pushing one school and one course provider.  Again, I'm all for SDC (I've worked there for 4 years now and think they're fantastic), and I'm all for EC.  But I'm not for one course provider to the exclusion of all others, I'm not for one school to the exclusion of all others, and I'm definitely not for posting degree plans that are incorrect, and incredibly expensive at the particular school you're pushing.

It's all just very odd.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • LevelUP, ss20ts
(07-16-2022, 08:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm also not sure why you're pushing SDC so hard.  I mean, I get that YOU like them.  But I'm not understanding why you're creating full degree plans using them as the main source, when plenty of people want to use other methods and would benefit from them.  If it's your preferred method, great - you should disclose that.

I'm also not sure why you're creating degree plans for a degree that cannot be gotten pretty easily at a school like EC?  It's just odd.  I like them as well as the next person, I recommend them all the time.  But I only recommend inexpensive degrees, not ones that will cost $10-$20k.  People need to know that there are better options out there for that particular degree.

It just seems odd to me that you're pushing one school and one course provider.  Again, I'm all for SDC (I've worked there for 4 years now and think they're fantastic), and I'm all for EC.  But I'm not for one course provider to the exclusion of all others, I'm not for one school to the exclusion of all others, and I'm definitely not for posting degree plans that are incorrect, and incredibly expensive at the particular school you're pushing.

It's all just very odd.

I'm pretty sure it's that they have a Study.com discount code, which is probably also why they use a URL shortener/tracker to link their degree plans.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • LevelUP
I'd just like to point out that I made corrections to the EC Criminal Justice degree plan, the EC BSB, the EC BS in Psych, etc. For the CJ plan, not a single thing was said by the OP. It was entirely incorrect, and no mention of "yeah I'll fix that" or anything.

I don't think these degree plans should be placed by the OP in the "Finalized Degree Plans" thread until they are actually finalized and correct. Placing inaccurate degree plans here is just a terrible idea.
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, LevelUP, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Degree Planning Class & Degree Plans dragonwolf 8 2,235 Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Business dragonwolf 11 2,284 11-21-2023, 06:05 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts dragonwolf 10 2,333 10-23-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Excelsior B.S. In Liberal Arts browniebo 2 1,274 08-17-2022, 10:48 PM
Last Post: browniebo
  BS in Criminal Justice Degree Plan dragonwolf 8 1,663 07-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: dragonwolf
  WGU BS in Computer Science Degree Plan dragonwolf 5 1,560 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BA in Psychology Degree Plan dragonwolf 9 1,885 06-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: StudiousTraveller
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan dragonwolf 2 1,705 05-29-2022, 03:34 PM
  Excelsior Bachelor of Science in Psychology dragonwolf 3 1,139 05-22-2022, 08:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior Degree Plans dragonwolf 0 1,824 05-12-2022, 03:30 PM