Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior advisor mistake
My advisor at Excelsior recently approved the course, Criminal Justice: Forensic Science from study.com, for me to take to fulfill my last 3 credits in my arts and science category. 

That being said, I took the course and transfered it in.  When I looked at my transcript, it showed up under excess credits.  I reached out to my advisor, the one who initially approved the course, and she said it looks like that course comes in as a free elective, which I don't need.  She said it was her fault, but they will not accept that course as an arts and science, even though she officially approved it for me!  She asked if there was another class at study.com I could take to fulfill need on my transcript. 

Has anyone else had an issue like this before?  I spent time, effort, and money to take this class.  I have the approval in writing via email and on my official Excelsior portal.  Do I have any recourse, or am I just out of luck.  Any advice would be appreciated.
(06-10-2020, 05:21 PM)dfwdegree Wrote: I spent time, effort, and money to take this class.  I have the approval in writing via email and on my official Excelsior portal.  Do I have any recourse, or am I just out of luck.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I, personally, think it would be worth your time to pursue getting it approved. Ask to speak to a manager? or supervisor? or the Registrar? My two have taken that class also and we were told that it hadn't been evaluated yet (and it isn't on the Study transfer list).

Which degree are you working on? If it's a Liberal Arts you could do a BS vs a BA and would only need 60 liberal arts credits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm actually working on a BS in business fyi. 
I'm in the middle of taking 3, UL business courses this month and I certainly don't want to mess with any non-core classes at this point.  It's frustrating that there seems to be no accountability.
At worst they be deductiing what you paid for that class from your tuition..
I would send copies of the approval to the registrar’s office. They might make an exception for you since the advisor okayed it, but it’s really up to them. Be firm, but be polite. Just make your case.

I had similar issues with SNHU when I attended in 2012. It sucks and I’m sorry you have to deal with that. I know it sucks.

In the meantime, will one of the Sophia courses work? Or maybe ASU EA? Sophia is better since it’s free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I would contact the registrar and send them the written approval from your advisor. When an advisor approves a course, the college should accept it as what the advisor says it comes in as. I would also contact the dean about this. At a minimum, your advisor needs training.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Advisors make mistakes (this one did), but they're not the one to make decisions about what courses come in as; that's the registrar's job. I'm not certain the school will do anything about it, but it certainly can't hurt to escalate this. The worst that happens is they say no.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
(06-10-2020, 11:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Advisors make mistakes (this one did), but they're not the one to make decisions about what courses come in as; that's the registrar's job.  I'm not certain the school will do anything about it, but it certainly can't hurt to escalate this.  The worst that happens is they say no
***UPDATE***
I reached out to the registrar; they referred me to the ombudsperson.  The ombudsperson said they don't deal with course re-classification issues, but they referred me to the School of Undergraduate studies.  They sent my request to the program director.  That being said, I just received notification that they approved my request!  Thanks everyone!
[-] The following 5 users Like dfwdegree's post:
  • alab21, jsd, ss20ts, Tedium, TwinMom
So glad this worked out for you! This just shows why a paper - or email - trail is so important.
Something similar happened to me at TESU. I was told two different classes were good to go when in fact they came in as the same course (duplicate). I couldn't get any of them to approve it it. It was pretty frustrating...
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 555 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Berkeley's 220M Dollar Mistake Alpha 0 340 05-22-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Online Graduate Admitted by Mistake Denied LLM sanantone 0 547 04-06-2023, 02:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 664 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 523 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 452 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,441 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,552 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  DEAC acquires Excelsior & UMPI accepts NA credits! bjcheung77 10 2,043 05-03-2022, 12:25 PM
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,344 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser