Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior: AA then BA?
Trying to help a co-worker with Excelsior. Excelsior told her that she would have to do/confer do the AA, then re-enroll in a senior capstone for the BA. She needs 7 more credits for either the AA or BA.

Do you really have to do 2 senior capstones if you want an AA then a BA? 

I'm wondering if she understood Excelsior correctly. 

She's using federal financial aid, so the cost of doing 2 programs is not a concern enough to deter her from wanting an AA along with the BA. It seemed like Excelsior was trying to talk her out of the AA, but she wants as many (affordable) degrees as possible.
In my opinion go for tha BA and forget the AA.
If she want more degrees go for a second bachelor (or master) and use your resources and effort there.
My personal opinion.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kab's post:
  • carrythenothing, rachel83az, ss20ts
Yes, you have to do an associate Capstone and a Bachelor capstone if you want both degrees. TESU has some degrees that are similar, but they also have some Associate degrees without capstones.

If she wants an Associate degree, have you suggested Pierpont to her?

IMO, if she's that close to getting a Bachelor's degree, the EC AA is going to be an utter waste of her time. It might not cost her (much) extra money, but it'll definitely cost her time.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
Which degrees are they looking at? What is their budget? Does she have a degree plan for each? You need 7 credits for the AA, you need 7 credits for the BA, you need 10 credits for both the AA & BA. If she has tuition assistance or reimbursement from work, it's not a bad deal if she can get all the credits done in couple of terms. Info Lit, Cornerstone, Associates Capstone in one term and the BA Capstone the next term.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks, I'll tell her to look at TESU for non-capstone associate options. I had suggested Pierpont to her but for some reason it didn't work for her. I think it was a lack of RA credits but will have to confirm with her. I assumed an Excelsior capstone would be fairly quick and a low time commitment, but if it's a lot of busy work, TESU would probably be better for her.

Thanks, she does have the degree plans for each. 7 for the AA then they told her she would need to do a bachelor capstone after. Or, 7 for the BA alone. She has federal aid and some military aid so she would not be paying anything on her own for either/both. I'm not sure how much of a time commitment an Excelsior capstone. She has a lot of very old college credits (20+ years old) so the AA and/or BA would just be in Liberal Arts. She hasn't applied to COSC yet.

(02-10-2022, 08:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which degrees are they looking at? What is their budget? Does she have a degree plan for each? You need 7 credits for the AA, you need 7 credits for the BA, you need 10 credits for both the AA & BA. If she has tuition assistance or reimbursement from work, it's not a bad deal if she can get all the credits done in couple of terms. Info Lit, Cornerstone, Associates Capstone in one term and the BA Capstone the next term.
Wait, 20 years yeah? Is she still Active Military after all those years? If that is the case, TESU would be my recommendation if she has RA credits already... She can do the 16 credit residency requirements and be done with it! An AA or two, and a BA or two... 16 RA credits is all that is required - the rest can be transferred in using ACE/NCCRS credits.

Another option if she's interested in Competency Based degrees is UMPI. I would get more details on why the Pierpont BOG AAS isn't working for her, that's strange though, it should work for almost all that applies to it... you just need 1 graded credit and the rest can be ACE. Depending on time commitments, a BOG AAS and then UMPI Bachelors would work best!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There is zero chance I would pay $1500 and do an associates capstone when I was about to get a bachelor's. ZERO!

Tell your friend to pull the trigger, get those last credits, and get the bachelor's degree. Don't waste time on other stuff.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,311 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az