Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior plan/map?
I'm looking everywhere in here and can't find the post i saw before. I'm trying to help my neighbor. Does anyone have a plan already set up for BSLA at excelsior using only shmoop, saylor, sophia, etc.? She doesn't have any credits, and she's bored right now.
These are how the Sophia classes state they come in as Excelsior credits:

Excelsior College Course        Credits             Sophia Course           
Business
Lower Division - Accounting/ Finance Core            3              AccountingAccounting  
Applied Professional Credit          1              Developing Effective Teams
Lower Division - Elective                3              Introduction to Business
Lower Division - Business/ Project Management 3              Project Management     Elective
Elective   3           College Readiness           
Applied Professional Elective      3              Introduction to Information Technology
Applied Professional Credit          1              The Essentials of Managing Conflict         
English and Communication
Communication (GEN ED)             3              Conflict Resolution         
Language Arts (GEN ED)                 3              English Composition I    
Language Arts (GEN ED)                 3              English Composition II
Lower Division (GEN ED)               3              Foundations of English Composition       
Communication (GEN ED)             3              Public Speaking
Communication (GEN ED)             3              Visual Communications
Humanities
Philosophy or Humanities (GEN ED.)        3              Ancient Greek Philosophers       
Humanities (GEN ED)      3              Approaches to Studying Religions
Humanities (GEN ED)      3              Art History I
Humanities (GEN ED)      3              Art History II
Humanities (GEN ED)      3              Introduction to Ethics    
Math and Science
Natural Science/ Math (GEN ED.)               3              College Algebra
Natural Science/ Math (GEN ED )               3              Environmental Science
Natural Science/Math (GEN ED)                 2              Foundations of Statistics 
Natural Science/ Math (GEN ED)                3              Human Biology Human Biology 
Natural Science/ Math (GEN ED.)               3              Introduction to Statistics              
Social Science
Social Sciences (GEN ED)               3              Introduction to Psychology         
Social Sciences (GEN ED.)              3              Introduction to Sociology
Social Sciences (GEN ED)               3              Macroeconomics            
Social Sciences (GEN ED)               3              Microeconomics              
Social Science (GEN ED)               3              US History I        
Social Sciences (GEN ED)               3              US History II
Skip Saylor/Shmooop, take everything possible at Sophia.org right now including their 3 Foundations of College Algebra/English/Stats as every single course they offer will go to Excelsior, she'll get about 80 credits FREE. Then do all the FREE TEEX courses to hit 90 credits. She will need to get UL from Study.com, her choice, make sure to have 21 Arts/Science credits and then 9 Business UL options to round out the degree. Voila and Ta-da!

Oh wait, I forgot two things, out of the 21 Arts/Science or 9 Business UL - one of the courses she will need would be the Capstone at Excelsior. The other course she will need is the Cornerstone, it'll be an LL course and the 1 credit info lit that may/may not be transferred in (I keep forgetting). I would just take all the credits mentioned above as not everyone will hit exactly 120 credits when they graduate and since these are FREE credits anyways.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
OMG you guys are so amazing! Thank you so much, and I'm sorry if I posted a question you've heard two trillion times. Just could not find the past threads anywhere! Thanks so much!
(04-14-2020, 01:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Skip Saylor/Shmooop, take everything possible at Sophia.org right now including their 3 Foundations of College Algebra/English/Stats as every single course they offer will go to Excelsior, she'll get about 80 credits FREE.  Then do all the FREE TEEX courses to hit 90 credits.  She will need to get UL from Study.com, her choice, make sure to have 21 Arts/Science credits and then 9 Business UL options to round out the degree.  Voila and Ta-da!

Oh wait, I forgot two things, out of the 21 Arts/Science or 9 Business UL - one of the courses she will need would be the Capstone at Excelsior.  The other course she will need is the Cornerstone, it'll be an LL course and the 1 credit info lit that may/may not be transferred in (I keep forgetting).  I would just take all the credits mentioned above as not everyone will hit exactly 120 credits when they graduate and since these are FREE credits anyways.

I feel like this is a stupid question but I just want to be certain. Do I need to complete all the Sophia courses I need BEFORE I apply to Excelsior? I have an A.A. and I want to earn a BALA from Excelsior. I plan on taking as many Sophia courses as possible. Can I apply to Excelsior and have my transcript reviewed now and then take the Sophia courses I still need? Or do I need all my transfer credits completed prior to applying to Excelsior? Thank you!
(04-20-2020, 01:48 PM)ldmoose Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 01:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Skip Saylor/Shmooop, take everything possible at Sophia.org right now including their 3 Foundations of College Algebra/English/Stats as every single course they offer will go to Excelsior, she'll get about 80 credits FREE.  Then do all the FREE TEEX courses to hit 90 credits.  She will need to get UL from Study.com, her choice, make sure to have 21 Arts/Science credits and then 9 Business UL options to round out the degree.  Voila and Ta-da!

Oh wait, I forgot two things, out of the 21 Arts/Science or 9 Business UL - one of the courses she will need would be the Capstone at Excelsior.  The other course she will need is the Cornerstone, it'll be an LL course and the 1 credit info lit that may/may not be transferred in (I keep forgetting).  I would just take all the credits mentioned above as not everyone will hit exactly 120 credits when they graduate and since these are FREE credits anyways.

I feel like this is a stupid question but I just want to be certain. Do I need to complete all the Sophia courses I need BEFORE I apply to Excelsior? I have an A.A. and I want to earn a BALA from Excelsior. I plan on taking as many Sophia courses as possible. Can I apply to Excelsior and have my transcript reviewed now and then take the Sophia courses I still need? Or do I need all my transfer credits completed prior to applying to Excelsior? Thank you!

You can apply now, but there's no real reason to.  And, you have to pay annually there, so I would wait.

If you post your earned credits, we can tell you what you're missing, and which Sophia courses will work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
Here are the credits I have completed. And, after reading all the great info on this site, I've decided TESU will be the best fit for me (BALS Communications).

Community College:
POLS210 - American Government I 3 cr.
ENGL110 - Making Writing Relevant 3 cr.
SCIN140 - Introduction to Environmental Science with Lab 3 cr.
SLS 1122 - Student Success 3 cr.
HFT 2223 - Hospitality Human Resources Management 3 cr.
HFT 2210 - Hospitality Management and Leadership 3 cr.
HFT 2600 - Hospitality Law 3 cr.
HOSP100 - Introduction to Hospitality Management 3 cr.
GRA 1413 - Professional Development for Designers 1 cr.

APU:
ARTH241 - Film and Literature 3 cr.
ACCT105 - Accounting for Non Accounting Majors 3 cr.
COMM211 - Social Media and Society 3 cr.
COMM200 - Public Speaking 3 cr.
COMM110 - Information & Digital Literacy 2 cr.
COMM210 - Communication and Gender 3 cr.
COMM220 - Small Group Communication 3 cr.
COMM240 - Intercultural Communication 3 cr.
COMM250 - Mass Communication 3 cr.
COMM280 - Ethics in Communication 3 cr.

StraighterLine - REL 101 3 cr.
StraighterLine - USHIST 102 3 cr.
Study.com - COM 102 Interpersonal Communication 3 cr.
Study.com - BUS 102 Principles of Marketing 3 cr.
Sophia - Visual Communication (in progress) 3 cr.

Plus I'll need 18 UL communication credits. This is what I'm thinking but not sure if they'll all transfer as UL and/or as comm credits:
Study.com BUS 305 Leadership Communication
Study.com BUS 313 Organizational Communication
Study.com BUS 324 Managerial Communication
TESU COM 339 The Story of Human Language
TECEP MAR-323 Advertising
LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone

I'm planning to take as many Sophia courses as possible in the next few months. Thanks in advance for any input!
(04-21-2020, 08:37 PM)ldmoose Wrote: Here are the credits I have completed. And, after reading all the great info on this site, I've decided TESU will be the best fit for me (BALS Communications).

Community College:

APU:
ARTH241 - Film and Literature  3 cr.

Plus I'll need 18 UL communication credits. This is what I'm thinking but not sure if they'll all transfer as UL and/or as comm credits:

I'm planning to take as many Sophia courses as possible in the next few months. Thanks in advance for any input!

The BALS w/Communications concentration is not able to be tested out of, there are 6 specific courses you need and you don't have them.  Instead, just get a BALS and you'll be fine.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-22-2020, 12:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:37 PM)ldmoose Wrote: Here are the credits I have completed. And, after reading all the great info on this site, I've decided TESU will be the best fit for me (BALS Communications).

Community College:

APU:
ARTH241 - Film and Literature  3 cr.

The BALS w/Communications concentration is not able to be tested out of, there are 6 specific courses you need and you don't have them.  Instead, just get a BALS and you'll be fine.
Okay, thank you! As I understand it, for a BALS I need:

18 credits in my concentration area (deciding between Humanities and Social Sciences)
15 UL credits in any liberal studies area
Electives (in any subject) to reach 120 credits

Is that correct? This site is invaluable and it simply fills my heart to see people sharing knowledge and helping others to literally change their lives. Heart

Or do the UL credits need to be in the concentration area?
For the BALS, you must have 18cr of UL - and 3 of those will be from the capstone. So you need 15cr of UL to take. I would suggest the communications courses you already took or are planning. I would not take the TESU course, it's not necessary (and expensive).

Communications is a humanities, so I wouldn't do SocSci. I personally don't see the need for a concentration at all, but if you do get one, get Humanities.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 0 22 1 hour ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 357 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 198 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 414 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 217 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 377 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 344 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 786 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,578 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,522 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35