Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Second Degree - Mathematics
Another option would be to complete the MA in Math Education (grades 5-12 option) at Western Governors University. First follow the advice to get Calculus 1 and 2 at SL. Also maybe some Algebra and Stats at ALEKS to familiarize yourself with the topics. Then apply to WGU and since these courses are a part of the MA degree and the program is competency based you could power through the degree. It is relatively inexpensive and would give you a grad degree in math which focuses primarily on math and doesn't have a lot of education courses.
Sacricolist Wrote:Another option would be to complete the MA in Math Education (grades 5-12 option) at Western Governors University. First follow the advice to get Calculus 1 and 2 at SL. Also maybe some Algebra and Stats at ALEKS to familiarize yourself with the topics. Then apply to WGU and since these courses are a part of the MA degree and the program is competency based you could power through the degree. It is relatively inexpensive and would give you a grad degree in math which focuses primarily on math and doesn't have a lot of education courses.

I can't tell what the requirements are to get this degree (whether it's an EITHER or AND between the two stated requirements):

[h=3]Who the Program is For:[/h]
  • Licensed teachers with a bachelor’s degree who wish to earn middle or secondary certification in mathematics (5-9 and 5-12 programs only) as well as a master’s degree.
  • Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
mog538 Wrote:Hi everyone,

I had been looking at completing a second bachelor's degree through Thomas Edison and I see that their catalog has changed since I graduated as the Natural Science/Mathematics degree is now a Liberal Studies degree. As my first degree was Liberal Studies, I believe I am not eligible to complete another one so am considering the pure Mathematics degree.

I am sure that this thread it too old for my comment to matter anymore, and if so I apologize for the "phorum necromancy", but I just wanted to add a point here as this topic is relatively rare. I do not know what the policy is nowadays (2017) but when I inquired with Thomas Edison (which was still TESC at the time) they were very clear about a 2nd bachelor's not coming from the same school. TESU has a number of schools within it: Heavin, School of Business and Management, Edwards, etc. You can't get a 2nd bachelor's within the same school, on top of the other restrictions.

Liberal Studies and Mathematics are both under Heavin. You can't do both at all (unless they've changed that policy). I called them to clarify this point as I was getting a bachelor's from Excelsior but was still interested in a 2nd bachelor's from Thomas Edison. There didn't seem to be any hesitation or confusion on their end: yes, I could get a 2nd one but it could not come from anything under Heavin's auspices (in addition to all the other restrictions).
Also I think RA degrees for non-profit limit you to two degrees. Try APUS for a third degree they are for profit.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
TrailRunr Wrote:You can do calc 1 and calc 2 from SL. There are loads of options for stats. After that, it gets dicey. It doesn't appear Boston University is going to do the edx courses on differential equations anytime soon, so that's a huge loss of 3 upper level classes. APU has math courses a little bit less than half the price of TESU when you account for the free e-textbooks from APU's book grant.

You wrote this a few months ago and they are doing the BU EdX courses again. As you know, a bunch of us were trying to find a third course that would fulfill Theory (along with Calc II and Statistics).

Do you know if the Intro Differential course will go into the Theory part of the ASNSM? Or either of the other Differential Equation courses from BU?

TESU lists Calc III (Multivariate Calculus), Linear Algebra (Calculus Based), Discrete Math, Probability, Matrix Algebra, and Number Theory as options. It seems like they might accept other types of courses under Theory too.

Ideas Wrote:You wrote this a few months ago and they are doing the BU EdX courses again. As you know, a bunch of us were trying to find a third course that would fulfill Theory (along with Calc II and Statistics).

Do you know if the Intro Differential course will go into the Theory part of the ASNSM? Or either of the other Differential Equation courses from BU?

TESU lists Calc III (Multivariate Calculus), Linear Algebra (Calculus Based), Discrete Math, Probability, Matrix Algebra, and Number Theory as options. It seems like they might accept other types of courses under Theory too.
Yes - differential equations is traditionally the 4th course of the calculus sequence. In brick & mortar schools, I've seen it broken up into Intro/ODE and a separate PDE class (both 3-4 credit). It's novel that one intro class from BU is broken into 3, for 9 credits. (Still trying to wrap my head around this, LOL. But hey, if they wanna hand out 9 math credits like candy, who's to stop them?)

Just be aware that the content still amounts to that one BU intro class in total, in case an interviewer who *does* know math inside/out starts grilling you on advanced DiffEs that 9cr on a transcript generally would indicate.
SolarKat Wrote:Just be aware that the content still amounts to that one BU intro class in total, in case an interviewer who *does* know math inside/out starts grilling you on advanced DiffEs that 9cr on a transcript generally would indicate.

Since it's just for an Associates degree, I was thinking of stopping at 3cr if that would work (as Stats and Calc II meet 6 of the 9 theory). I would like to do the others, but have the community college courses, Davar during the sale, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,933 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,621 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,032 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,587 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,672 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,298 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,551 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,287 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,328 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic