Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior vs. COSC - Biology
COSC and EC's evaluations are a lot better than they were eight years ago. TESU's are still clearer, though. The COSC evaluation is for the BS in General Studies with a concentration in Biology. The EC evaluation is for the BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology. I'm trying to figure out which one will be faster and cheaper, but I probably won't complete either. I thought some might want to see how their preliminary evaluations look. COSC's is confusing. My eval says that I have 111.80 out of 120 credits, but I need many more credits than that. And, for some reason, COSC labeled one of my colleges as Meridian Community College. I've never been to a Meridian Community College. 

.pdf   Charter Oak BS Concentration in Biology Redacted.pdf (Size: 233.33 KB / Downloads: 54)

.pdf   Excelsior BS in Natural Science Evaluation Redacted.pdf (Size: 237.04 KB / Downloads: 49)
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(04-08-2019, 09:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: COSC and EC's evaluations are a lot better than they were eight years ago. TESU's are still clearer, though. The COSC evaluation is for the BS in General Studies with a concentration in Biology. The EC evaluation is for the BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology. I'm trying to figure out which one will be faster and cheaper, but I probably won't complete either. I thought some might want to see how their preliminary evaluations look. COSC's is confusing. My eval says that I have 111.80 out of 120 credits, but I need many more credits than that. And, for some reason, COSC labeled one of my colleges as Meridian Community College. I've never been to a Meridian Community College. 

COSC is hard to read - I've said that, Danika said it, you've said it- honestly, if the three of us are having trouble READING an eval, they need to fix it.
The only thing I can say is that they do cross requirements, so as an example, your bio capstone is also a liberal arts and also an UL (same with any of your bios).
I have a degree plan for my son and I'm nervous about changing any of it- it's go ta lot of moving parts.
They also made the advising worksheet hard to find. They emailed directions to where the online evaluation was, and I knew there had to be more because the online evaluation is terrible. When I clicked on the hyperlinks for more details on each section, I saw the downloadable advising worksheet.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-11-2019, 09:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: They also made the advising worksheet hard to find. They emailed directions to where the online evaluation was, and I knew there had to be more because the online evaluation is terrible. When I clicked on the hyperlinks for more details on each section, I saw the downloadable advising worksheet.

then you did great. 99.99% of the time, my son's advising worksheet won't load. He gets an error that he used the back button in his browser (he didn't) or another kind of error. I have a printed version we use.
(04-12-2019, 03:06 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(04-11-2019, 09:56 PM)sanantone Wrote: They also made the advising worksheet hard to find. They emailed directions to where the online evaluation was, and I knew there had to be more because the online evaluation is terrible. When I clicked on the hyperlinks for more details on each section, I saw the downloadable advising worksheet.

then you did great.  99.99% of the time, my son's advising worksheet won't load. He gets an error that he used the back button in his browser (he didn't) or another kind of error.  I have a printed version we use.

It's weird how they have "Academic Plan PDF," but you're warned not to click on it because you'll get an error. Why won't they remove this? 

And, lol. I just noticed that the directions to get to the advising worksheet is on the first page when you click on the advising tab. I was so sleep-deprived that week. It's still a disorganized system.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

then you did great.  99.99% of the time, my son's advising worksheet won't load. He gets an error that he used the back button in his browser (he didn't) or another kind of error.  I have a printed version we use.

The errors you get have been so frustrating for me. I have learned that when you click on a link, just to wait for it to load. If you click a link more then once and click on any other link after the first one you will get that ridiculous back button error. Doesn't help that it takes forever to load.
(04-12-2019, 09:45 PM)ztkerls Wrote:

The errors you get have been so frustrating for me. I have learned that when you click on a link, just to wait for it to load. If you click a link more then once and click on any other link after the first one you will get that ridiculous back button error. Doesn't help that it takes forever to load.

I'm always so turned off when a college that operates as a fully online college can't get the tech right. It feels like that should be their best quality lol.
Thank you so much for posting this! I searched and searched this board about biology degrees, and the search box got me nothing. But when I posted my own question about BIO degrees yesterday, DegreeForum began reccing your posts left and right. Going off to read now ...

Again, thanks for posting this. I realize it's an older thread, but hopefully it's ok if I jump in with a couple questions.

Now that I've read, I have a question about the Excelsior one. On page 5, it says they gave you credit for UExcel Anatomy and Physiology, but on page 2, the Anatomy requirement is marked as unmet. Do they not count their own Anatomy exam toward that credit?

I was happy to see they accepted Straighterline Microbio toward their requirement.

If you've pursued with Excelsior, have you had any luck getting them to approve/ accept ULs from other colleges?

Also, the COSC one is really helpful. Their admissions told me CLEP would count for introductory bio—clearly it doesn't. Sigh. But 200 levels count as "beyond the introductory level"—that would make my upper levels a lot cheaper than when I was looking only at 300s and 400s.
(09-06-2019, 09:14 AM)wow Wrote: Thank you so much for posting this! I searched and searched this board about biology degrees, and the search box got me nothing. But when I posted my own question about BIO degrees yesterday, DegreeForum began reccing your posts left and right. Going off to read now ...

Again, thanks for posting this. I realize it's an older thread, but hopefully it's ok if I jump in with a couple questions.

Now that I've read, I have a question about the Excelsior one. On page 5, it says they gave you credit for UExcel Anatomy and Physiology, but on page  2, the Anatomy requirement is marked as unmet. Do they not count their own Anatomy exam toward that credit?

I was happy to see they accepted Straighterline Microbio toward their requirement.

If you've pursued with Excelsior, have you had any luck getting them to approve/ accept ULs from other colleges?

Also, the COSC one is really helpful. Their admissions told me CLEP would count for introductory bio—clearly it doesn't. Sigh. But 200 levels count as "beyond the introductory level"—that would make my upper levels a lot cheaper than when I was looking only at 300s and 400s.

Some of my credits couldn't be used in the major area of study because there's a minimum number of new credits needed after the last degree conferral.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 176 2 hours ago
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 915 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,532 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,612 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,258 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,320 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,043 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,713 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,242 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,289 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az