Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior vs. TESC / B.S. vs. BSAST
Hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading, and I'm sure that the question I'm about to pose has been addressed a couple of times, but here goes....

I had the Army National Guard Educational Support Center evaluate my military and civilian credits a couple of years ago, and they came back with a degree program plan from both Excelsior and TESC. I'm trying to decide which program to complete.

I already have a A.S. degree through the Air Force. The Excelsior / TESC programs came back with 72 / 62 credits completed toward a B.S. I've taken a few CLEPs and DANTES tests since then so I'm up to something like 81 /83 credits. (Some tests don't apply to the Excelsior degree.)

I'm leaning somewhat toward the Excelsior degree just due to the fact that I can test out of everything. If I complete the TESC degree I'm going to have to take pre-calculus and calculus (need 6 credits). My CLEP college algebra won't cover it. I can test out of everyting else.

The Excelsior degree doesn't appear to zero in on my profession where the TESC degree does (I'm an electrician).

I will have to take the upper level tests to complete the Excelsior degree, whereas I won't have to take any of them to complete the TESC degree. I'm not particularly worried about the tests, but maybe I would be better off taking pre-calculus and calculus at the local community college rather than studying for numerous upper level tests.

Also, I'm not sure about costs, all of the tests will be free for me (I'm in the military) so that's not a concern.

Any insights on which path would be the best for me? Any comments on the colleges, difficulty of upper level tests, suefulness of the individual degrees, etc.?

Thanks.
usmcgrover Wrote:Hi all,

Been doing a lot of reading, and I'm sure that the question I'm about to pose has been addressed a couple of times, but here goes....

I had the Army National Guard Educational Support Center evaluate my military and civilian credits a couple of years ago, and they came back with a degree program plan from both Excelsior and TESC. I'm trying to decide which program to complete.

I already have a A.S. degree through the Air Force. The Excelsior / TESC programs came back with 72 / 62 credits completed toward a B.S. I've taken a few CLEPs and DANTES tests since then so I'm up to something like 81 /83 credits. (Some tests don't apply to the Excelsior degree.)

I'm leaning somewhat toward the Excelsior degree just due to the fact that I can test out of everything. If I complete the TESC degree I'm going to have to take pre-calculus and calculus (need 6 credits). My CLEP college algebra won't cover it. I can test out of everyting else.

The Excelsior degree doesn't appear to zero in on my profession where the TESC degree does (I'm an electrician).

I will have to take the upper level tests to complete the Excelsior degree, whereas I won't have to take any of them to complete the TESC degree. I'm not particularly worried about the tests, but maybe I would be better off taking pre-calculus and calculus at the local community college rather than studying for numerous upper level tests.

Also, I'm not sure about costs, all of the tests will be free for me (I'm in the military) so that's not a concern.

Any insights on which path would be the best for me? Any comments on the colleges, difficulty of upper level tests, suefulness of the individual degrees, etc.?

Thanks.

Hi usmcgrover,

Here are a couple of questions that may help you decide:

1) Do you NEED the degree to be specific to your profession?

If you answer yes to question 1, then TESC seems like your best option. If not, then Excelsior may be the way to go.

2) Is taking courses in precalculus and calculus something that is doable for you (it would be way out of my league)?

If you answer yes to question 2, then TESC seems like your best option. If not, then Excelsior may be the way to go.

Personally, I would rather take 10 extra upper level exams than attempt precalc and calc courses. But if that's your 'thing' then obviously it won't be as much of an issue in your decision.

Also, CLEP offers exams in both precalculus and calculus if you are up to it.

Hope this is helpful,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I agree. Unless the degree in your specific field will benefit you, I would avoid specialization just for the heck of it. And I would much rather take exams over any "real" course. Not that the course would necessarily be harder, but that they usually take more time to learn the same things I can learn on my own at my own speed.
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
I'm not sure that this would factor in for you, but TESC has a military degree completion program. Basically, you don't have to pay the yearly fees like other students, you just have to at least take a total of 12 credits in classes with TESC to complete your degree. I paid $285 for them to "enroll" me and have yet to pay another dime to them in two years. There is no timeframe that you have to complete the work (at least there wasn't when I signed up). You just have to take 4 classes through them. So your total $$$ out would be $184 x 12 credits and the cost to enroll and graduation.

This program saved me a ton of money, and it works for dependents too (I'm a spouse of active duty). I have no idea how the other school works, but if they charge an annual fee, then this may be a better way to go.

Angie
(taking Drug and Alcohol DSST on Friday - ugh :confused: )
angie Wrote:I'm not sure that this would factor in for you, but TESC has a military degree completion program. Basically, you don't have to pay the yearly fees like other students, you just have to at least take a total of 12 credits in classes with TESC to complete your degree. I paid $285 for them to "enroll" me and have yet to pay another dime to them in two years. There is no timeframe that you have to complete the work (at least there wasn't when I signed up). You just have to take 4 classes through them. So your total $$$ out would be $184 x 12 credits and the cost to enroll and graduation.

This program saved me a ton of money, and it works for dependents too (I'm a spouse of active duty). I have no idea how the other school works, but if they charge an annual fee, then this may be a better way to go.

Angie
(taking Drug and Alcohol DSST on Friday - ugh :confused: )

Hi Angie,

Excelsior also has some kind of Military program. I am not military so I don't know the details. But I know they do have all kinds of special prices and programs for military personnel.

Good luck on your D&A Abuse exam tomorrow.

Do well,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm really leaning toward the Excelsior degree. I don't think that specialization in my current career field is going to help me much (already a licensed Master electrician). I think what I need is some breadth to my experience.

I took the D&A test a couple of months ago, didn't study at all and I passed so it can't be too bad. Good luck!

Jeff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 542 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 606 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 516 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 442 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,369 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,529 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  DEAC acquires Excelsior & UMPI accepts NA credits! bjcheung77 10 1,963 05-03-2022, 12:25 PM
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,317 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Excelsior advisor mistake dfwdegree 9 1,422 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  Referral code for COSC or Excelsior NeverDone 7 1,826 11-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Last Post: NeverDone