Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed DSST Speech, Need Alternatives
I know you were looking for alternatives to the DSST Speech exam, but I do want to address your original problem for those who may search and find this posting in the future.

There are some pre-test screens for the candidate to read before the speech is actually recorded. The proctor is to be with you while you are going through these screens. They are to make sure that the functionality test is performed correctly, they are to make sure that you understand the directions in regard to the usage of time, and they should point out that the record button can only be selected ONE TIME only (an error message comes up if you attempt to click it another time).

If the proctor did not follow all of these steps, there is a slim possibility that the DSST team will authorize a retake, but I can only guess that this would be granted after some investigation into the matter. In other words, you would need some patience. In my opinion, most testing programs are rather reluctant to authorize an immediate retake once you have seen/taken an actual exam unless the request is due to a technical issue or something completely beyond the candidate's control.
sanantone Wrote:Being accredited by one of the six regional accreditors is all that matters unless you get more into programmatic accreditation for certain degree programs. TESC and COSC are Middle States and New England, respectively. They both accepted my credits from Northern Association and Southern Association schools. The Southern Association schools I attended accepted credits from the Northern Association. The Southern Association graduate school I attended accepted my TESC degree.

That is a major relief, if only I'd have known this many years ago. I signed up with AMU knowing they were nationally accredited and also North Central Association accredited. I was questionable about the National Accrediation, but the North Central Association is something that I need due to any schools I would attender after the military thing would be within that association. Thank you immensely for the help, currently I'm in contact with TESC/Charter Oak and AMU looking to finish up an associates degree besides just my CCAF. In addition, I did ask about BYU's TMA150 (Public Speaking) and COMM101 with straigtherline. AMU said they would accept both of those credits fulfilling my oral communication requirement. But I'm still in contact with their transfer credit department in needing to know, on the offical transcript from AMU to CCAF will the course show it was a transfer credit from Straighterline or will show as if I took the class with AMU (which is what I need, since CCAF will not accept straighterline). I believe this forum calls that "transcribing"? I will try and keep the forum updated with what AMU says.

Edit: They did respond, but I do not believe they answered my question in a way I could understand.
From AMU Transfer Credit Department:
"The StraighterLine course, COM 101 Introduction to Communications, is equivalent to the AMU course, COMM200.

Additionally, the Brigham Young University course, TMA 150 Public Speaking, is also equivalent to the AMU course, COMM200.

Transfer credit is listed as such on the official transcript. The number of semester hours earned from transfer credit and the institution is listed on the official APUS transcript; however, it does not list the area in which the credit was applied. You would need to print out your Academic Plan to show how the credit was applied to your Academic Plan. If this is something CCAF needs to review."
Nerheim55 Wrote:That is a major relief, if only I'd have known this many years ago. I signed up with AMU knowing they were nationally accredited and also North Central Association accredited. I was questionable about the National Accrediation, but the North Central Association is something that I need due to any schools I would attender after the military thing would be within that association. Thank you immensely for the help, currently I'm in contact with TESC/Charter Oak and AMU looking to finish up an associates degree besides just my CCAF. In addition, I did ask about BYU's TMA150 (Public Speaking) and COMM101 with straigtherline. AMU said they would accept both of those credits fulfilling my oral communication requirement. But I'm still in contact with their transfer credit department in needing to know, on the offical transcript from AMU to CCAF will the course show it was a transfer credit from Straighterline or will show as if I took the class with AMU (which is what I need, since CCAF will not accept straighterline). I believe this forum calls that "transcribing"? I will try and keep the forum updated with what AMU says.

Edit: They did respond, but I do not believe they answered my question in a way I could understand.
From AMU Transfer Credit Department:
"The StraighterLine course, COM 101 Introduction to Communications, is equivalent to the AMU course, COMM200.

Additionally, the Brigham Young University course, TMA 150 Public Speaking, is also equivalent to the AMU course, COMM200.

Transfer credit is listed as such on the official transcript. The number of semester hours earned from transfer credit and the institution is listed on the official APUS transcript; however, it does not list the area in which the credit was applied. You would need to print out your Academic Plan to show how the credit was applied to your Academic Plan. If this is something CCAF needs to review."

I'm coming into this convo a bit late, but I took and passed BYUs IS Speech course. Let me tell you that it was quick, easy, required no textbooks and Has been accepted to every college I transferred it to including CCAF. Finally, the course was COMPLETELY secular and had zero LDS references, at least when I took it two years ago. The accounting courses I took with BYU IS were excellent, but they did have some LDS references.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:I'm coming into this convo a bit late, but I took and passed BYUs IS Speech course. Let me tell you that it was quick, easy, required no textbooks and Has been accepted to every college I transferred it to including CCAF. Finally, the course was COMPLETELY secular and had zero LDS references, at least when I took it two years ago. The accounting courses I took with BYU IS were excellent, but they did have some LDS references.

Better late than never! I appreciate the review of BYU and I was able to check with CCAF and found out they do accept BYU's speech class, but I've already at this point had my T.A. approved for AMU's public speaking requiring a total of 4 speeches over the course of 8 weeks. Along with a 10 question quiz each week, I feel it may be about equal in workload besides being able to complete it ahead of schedule like BYU. This appears to just be my personal preference at this point, but had I got more information on BYU I would have went with them! In addition, AMU specifically said they would show on the official transcript that the credits came from a transfer and would list the transfer location. So in the case of AMU transcribing from straighterline the defined answer was no.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 1 48 2 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 960 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  UC Berkeley failed to disclose $240 million in funds from China elcastor21 3 496 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 874 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 848 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,490 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 1,005 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Citing Concern for Free Speech, 12 Federal Judges Won’t Take Clerks from Yale Law LevelUP 7 1,296 10-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Tired of WGU proctoring - non-proctored alternatives zadaea 14 11,561 09-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,197 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry