Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast paced EU based - advice needed
Hi everyone!

I've been reading a lot on this forum and on the wiki, and all your contributions are greatly appreciated. I hope some of you are willing to help me on the start of my own journey. I have some credits from the past, although I am not sure if starting over wouldn't be better. In the end a bachelors degree in business (or something else, maybe two or Hons?), perhaps a masters could be next. I do want it high paced, testing is no problem. Anyway, some essential parts are unclear to me, I'd appreciate a general review and experiences of others from Europe.

The credits I already have are all European, a total of ~90 "ECTS". If transfer gives an advantage, that might be an option. However I have no information on the exchange rate (2 European = 1 credit?  1,6 European = 1 credit?). I wouldn't mind taking tests on these subjects (or new) if transfer is more costly or if it is too much of a hassle. I don't have (local) transcripts, nor do they will be easily linked to US courses.

- Transfer existing EU credits ?

The recognition of the probably US degree in the EU would also be somewhat important. I think only bachelors degrees (with higher level/less "applied" courses) from regionally accredited universities will be valued as a sufficient (EU) bachelors degree. Approval in advance is not possible.

- Reconition of a US degree in Europe?

Next I looked at the suggested universities, however I am not sure on what might be the differences. Also maybe admission isn't possible for non US residents.

- Based on what should I choose the university?  (differences Big3, WGU?, admission for EU national?)

As for the actual testing, I would prefer e-proctored or locally proctored tests, if neither is possible: assignments. For DSST and CLEP there doesn't seem any location in W-Europe (for non-military students). Is that correct? Are there other options?

- Available test centers in W-Europe? (preferably within Belgium, Germany or NL?)

On the free credit part. I would like to get as much as possible, but I think TEEX, FEMA, NFA might be for USA residents only, can someone clarify?

Would finishing within this year be possible? (Are the 2017 plans I see likely also usable in 2018? Or is there a way to lock a plan with a university?) What do you think? All feedback, shared experiences and information is very much appreciated! Thanks!
WGU will not be an option if you're living overseas. How many credits you'll be able to transfer will depend on which evaluation company you choose. The Big 3 will have a list of which ones they accept. American bachelor's degree programs are typically around 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours.

I strongly advise against attending a nationally accredited school. If you stick with regionally accredited, you should be fine. I haven't checked into this myself, but Johann has stated that an evaluator in the UK does not recognize national accreditors.
Have you looked into UK programs such as Heriot Watt or Open University?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I would recommend reading through this thread: http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=27493
In short, reply to this post with your country of schooling and what educational credits you have that may be transferable.
If you do have 3 years from a recognized university in Europe already, continue onward and graduate with your Bachelors.

I would then recommend you to finish a Masters in Europe as most countries nearby (3 of them) are free for grad school.
You should start looking at a "cheap/easy/fast" competency-based degree provider in the US for a Masters degree only if you can't get into a program of your choice OR if you want to finish something in 8 months or less VS in Europe.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-08-2017, 07:09 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU will not be an option if you're living overseas. How many credits you'll be able to transfer will depend on which evaluation company you choose. The Big 3 will have a list of which ones they accept. American bachelor's degree programs are typically around 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours.

I strongly advise against attending a nationally accredited school. If you stick with regionally accredited, you should be fine. I haven't checked into this myself, but Johann has stated that an evaluator in the UK does not recognize national accreditors.
Have you looked into UK programs such as Heriot Watt or Open University?

I'll definitely stick with the Big 3 and tests. Next I'll look into the recognition of my previous credits.

http://info.excelsior.edu/student-polici...anscripts/ (if not on "Transcripts Accepted Directly From Institutions Outside the U.S. and U.S. Territories" list)
http://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/In...licies.cfm
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...udents.cfm

In this case I'll need to get an evaluation report from ECE.
https://www.ece.org

(10-08-2017, 08:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend reading through this thread:  http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=27493
In short, reply to this post with your country of schooling and what educational credits you have that may be transferable.

I have the equivalent of 1,5/3 years full time study. Business/psychology/(local) law/general academics: 38/15/33/5. Everything should be transferable. It's all at fully accredited by the NVAO (accreditation Belgium, NL) universities. Studying (attending) here is too time consuming or costly. For example Open University UK costs over $22k, besides the whole EU referendum.
Great, you would use ECE as the evaluator as all three accept them. I think WES is another one as well, but Excelsior might not take them. Get a course by course evaluation and see what they say - then transfer to TESU/Excelsior or COSC.

If you are going for BS in Business, you should go for TESU, then Excelsior and Lastly COSC due to "extra systematic/programmatic accreditation). That's what I would do for Business, as that's your degree of choice.

For all other degrees, it's a coin toss practically identical as all three are Regionally Accredited. Unless of course, it's a specific field that also has secondary/programmatic accreditation, choose the one with the more recognized degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-09-2017, 02:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Great, you would use ECE as the evaluator as all three accept them.  I think WES is another one as well, but Excelsior might not take them.  Get a course by course evaluation and see what they say - then transfer to TESU/Excelsior or COSC.  

If you are going for BS in Business, you should go for TESU, then Excelsior and Lastly COSC due to "extra systematic/programmatic accreditation).  That's what I would do for Business, as that's your degree of choice.

For all other degrees, it's a coin toss practically identical as all three are Regionally Accredited.  Unless of course, it's a specific field that also has secondary/programmatic accreditation, choose the one with the more recognized degree.

I would say that you get the degree from the school where more of your credits fit, and will cost you less than the others.  If it's close between 2 schools, then you can take your pick.  But if it's going to costs a lot more in time/money at one school over the other, I'd go with the fastest/cheapest/easiest.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
(10-09-2017, 10:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that you get the degree from the school where more of your credits fit, and will cost you less than the others.  If it's close between 2 schools, then you can take your pick.  But if it's going to costs a lot more in time/money at one school over the other, I'd go with the fastest/cheapest/easiest.

I would go one step further and apply to multiple schools to see how they use your credits, since it is harder to predict how they will be applied. Also don't forget that they will require the TOEFL unless you come from an English speaking country (or have a year of college in a English speaking country).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thank you all for your replies, I've started the process based on those pointers.
For now I will have to wait for the transcripts, which can take up to 8 weeks plus two weeks for the evaluation. After that I think the application to all Big 3 sounds like a sound plan.
As for the TOEFL, I will check if I have such a score / if it is still valid. Otherwise I'll have to take one of those too.

Are there, besides the programmatic differences/transfer policies, any differences between the Big 3? For example prestige. possibilities for a fast track masters with a bachelors from one of them?

While waiting, are there any CLEP testing locations in W-Europe? Or are there any other credits I can already obtain which will (probably) be useful for any school? And are the free credit options (FEMA,TEEX,NFA) open for non USA residents ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 743 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,630 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,584 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  University of Phoenix to offer Competency Based Degrees elcastor21 11 1,296 10-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 918 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,217 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Regionally Accredited Self Paced Courses for College Credit BMWGuinness 5 2,914 04-27-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,668 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree