Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest not cheapest way to a bachelors degree?
I found a zillion coaching classes/certifications that are worth college credit. They are expensive and annoying to use in a degree, but if you ALREADY have any type of certificate, it might already be worth credit - so it's worth asking if you do Wink
Good advice above, Jennifer. If OP is in Texas, it would be pretty easy to get a degree in almost anything, then do alternate teacher certification at one of the hundreds of post-bac programs here. However, a hiring school district might want to see a particular major, since most coaches teach a subject beyond PE.

I just looked and CTE is one of the emergency shortage teaching fields in Texas, so maybe business would be a good option after all!

(CTE is Career and Technical Education)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Good advice above, Jennifer. If OP is in Texas, it would be pretty easy to get a degree in almost anything, then do alternate teacher certification at one of the hundreds of post-bac programs here. However, a hiring school district might want to see a particular major, since most coaches teach a subject beyond PE.

I just looked and CTE is one of the emergency shortage teaching fields in Texas, so maybe business would be a good option after all!

(CTE is Career and Technical Education)

It didn't sound as if the OP wanted to get a teacher cert to teach PE, but just a BA so he/she could become a coach (like for a school's football/soccer/baseball teams, etc.). Totally different thing (at least here in CA). So the OP just needs to make sure that all he/she needs is the piece of paper (degree) in order to coach, rather than additional certifications/education.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:It didn't sound as if the OP wanted to get a teacher cert to teach PE, but just a BA so he/she could become a coach (like for a school's football/soccer/baseball teams, etc.). Totally different thing (at least here in CA). So the OP just needs to make sure that all he/she needs is the piece of paper (degree) in order to coach, rather than additional certifications/education.

Yes, it's a different thing, but based on what the Dept of Labor reports, it appears as if that may not be enough to make him competitive.
I might suggest a degree in something to make them more competitive, perhaps Kinesiology/Sports Management/Health Sciences/Sports Nutrition or the like.

Grand Canyon University - BA Sports Management, Health Sciences, and a couple others
Ashford University - BA Health Education
Kaplan - Health and Wellness, Health Science, Nutrition Science
TESU - Health Sciences,
COSC - Child & Youth Development

Just a quick search, I am sure there are folks here that could tell you far more
Again, this is dependent upon whether or not he just needs a piece of paper. My daughter's coach has been approached by various schools in the area asking him to coach their teams, and he also doesn't have a degree, but also isn't interested. If the OP is already a good coach and has been approached by teams in the area, and just needs a quick degree so he can move into that area, doing more than that won't matter much.

Obviously, if he/she wants to move further up than a local high school coach (nationally ranked teams, college), then a different degree is a must. At which point he/she should go on to get a second degree, or a masters in some sort of "sports" area of study.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yes, this is my situation. I am already a very successful coach and have been asked about coaching at a public school. My understanding from an asst superintendent in my area school district is that you only need to be an employee of the district but you do need a ba degree to coach. So if I have any ba degree and the school is interested in hiring a coach that is not a teacher they can do so as long as you are an employee of the district.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 29 6,015 5 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 715 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 299 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 686 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,801 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 613 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 547 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 299 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 908 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,259 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM