Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on Interviews Lasting Over 2 Hours
I was interviewed for a senior analyst position, met with HR and the controller which lasted one hour. Interview went great and that same afternoon, I got a call for a second interview to be held the next day with the director.

In the first few minutes the director asked about my previous jobs which I discussed for 2-3 minutes, then he asked questions related to the position I applied for and this Q&A lasted for about 15 minutes. The next one hour and 45 minutes were more deep dive questions of 5 projects he started to implement in Finance and still not yet accomplished, and I gave my feedback on how to go about those projects from what I have worked on, and what I have seen done in other companies that I worked for.

I felt the second interview with the director was not for the position I applied for. Anyone else experienced this and did you get the job or if you are a hiring manager, have you ever approach interviews like this with candidates?
I interviewed for a position many years ago and they ended up offering me a better one with more money. It seems like they are definitely interested in you to take so much time, good luck!
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
heidi08 Wrote:In the first few minutes the director asked about my previous jobs which I discussed for 2-3 minutes, then he asked questions related to the position I applied for and this Q&A lasted for about 15 minutes. The next one hour and 45 minutes were more deep dive questions of 5 projects he started to implement in Finance and still not yet accomplished, and I gave my feedback on how to go about those projects from what I have worked on, and what I have seen done in other companies that I worked for.

Although your answers to the questions about the problems he is having may have been short and lacking substance, you probably shouldn't have gone too in depth about what your solutions would have been to the issues he was having. You basically gave him a reason not to hire you since he can now simply try what you suggested without hiring you at all... I would have just told him that you have experience with the things he was mentioning and suggested that you have a few things to try after he hired you...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
@dposborne, I gave general answers, then I was pressed to elaborate more on my answers. During an interview, it is sometimes difficult when asked how to go about a task, and if you are not able to give details, this would give the interviewer the impression I would not know how to do the job if hired. If using my ideas to complete his projects, all he needed was to interview a consultant to get the info he needed. My answers did not tell him step-by-step requirements and his projects require IT know how, and my impression of him is that, he did not seem like he had this kind of knowledge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,195 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  I've lost access to the "Specific Exam Feedback - InstantCert Subscribers ONLY" group Nerdymcnerdface 9 3,598 09-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Zham
  3 Credit Hours in 10 Minutes quigongene 13 3,387 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Specific Exam Feedback Access sonyidgt 0 899 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Last Post: sonyidgt
  Now this is awesome! 11 year old with awesome feedback for teachers! bjcheung77 0 1,006 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can't see specific exam feedback section rawlingspl94 1 1,033 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 3,322 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Rosetta Stone on sale for $199.00 level 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 (expires in 5 hours) soliloquy 5 1,614 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Why can't I see Specific Exam Feedback section? gnpine 2 1,069 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Last Post: sgloer
  Temping at a crappy job and need excuses to leave for other interviews..... CollegeStudent7 5 997 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Last Post: CollegeStudent7