Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally Done - BA in History from TESU
(01-17-2019, 12:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: How did you prepare for the Soviet Union exam? I've got that one coming up in just under two weeks and feel dreadfully unprepared

I used Study.com (which was a decent introduction) and Instant Cert. And I passed with a decent margin (although I don't remember my actual score). When taking the pretest, just remember that a 50% is not required. You can see more details regarding scoring here: https://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/...g_2018.pdf  
Good luck! It's a difficult test but very possible with the two resources I mentioned!
(01-17-2019, 12:20 PM)cyork Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 12:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: How did you prepare for the Soviet Union exam? I've got that one coming up in just under two weeks and feel dreadfully unprepared

I used Study.com (which was a decent introduction) and Instant Cert. And I passed with a decent margin (although I don't remember my actual score). When taking the pretest, just remember that a 50% is not required. You can see more details regarding scoring here: https://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/...g_2018.pdf  
Good luck! It's a difficult test but very possible with the two resources I mentioned!

Yes, I noticed the low percentage required to pass! I'm a pretty good test-taker so hoping the same SDC/IC combo will work for me that did for you.

Thanks for the advice! One other question: why did you choose FHSU over APU or TESU for Historical Methods? How did you find the course at FHSU? Still trying to decide where I want to take that one if Study.com doesn't get approval in time
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

I read the recommended books for this one too. I also ran through the free clep prep practice exam several times.

(01-17-2019, 12:28 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Yes, I noticed the low percentage required to pass! I'm a pretty good test-taker so hoping the same SDC/IC combo will work for me that did for you.

Thanks for the advice! One other question: why did you choose FHSU over APU or TESU for Historical Methods? How did you find the course at FHSU? Still trying to decide where I want to take that one if Study.com doesn't get approval in time

I went with FHSU because it was the least expensive and it fit my schedule. The course number is HIST 379 if you're looking for it on their website.
(01-17-2019, 02:34 PM)npk32 Wrote:

I read the recommended books for this one too. I also ran through the free clep prep practice exam several times.

(01-17-2019, 12:28 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

I went with FHSU because it was the least expensive and it fit my schedule. The course number is HIST 379 if you're looking for it on their website.

I should have been more clear with my wording. What I meant was "Did you find it difficult? Easy?"
Also, how long was the class?
Completed:

Up Next:

(01-17-2019, 11:43 AM)cyork Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 10:35 AM)npk32 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 09:46 AM)cyork Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:02 PM)npk32 Wrote: I finally made it from here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Questions to graduation. I wanted to share my experience in the hope that it will help someone else as much as this forum has helped me in the past.

To make a (really) long story short I ended up pursuing a BA in History from TESU. I previously attended a traditional 4-year school almost 20 years ago but only completed 58 credits, 55 of which were eligible for transfer to TESU, so I needed to complete 65 non-traditional credits.

I started out by completing 10 credits in about two weeks through free courses from TEEX, NFA, and Kaplan. Since I had a few outstanding math requirements, my next move was to complete College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics through ALEKS. Due to my subpar math skills these courses took a few months to complete but I knocked out 12 credits through Saylor (BUS203, BUS205, BUS208, BUS210) in the meantime so it wasn’t a total waste of time.

At that point, my wife and I welcomed our second child and free time was in short supply so I started my next push towards the completion of my degree about a year later. To fulfill all outstanding general education credits, I plowed through 8 courses from Straighterline in 2 months. These courses included Introduction to Religion, American Government, Business Ethics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, and Western Civilization I.

Wrapping up the Area of Study requirements was a little trickier. I finished Shmoop’s American History I & II as well as Modern European History. Next, I signed up for Study.com, completed History of the Vietnam War (HIS-351) and The Civil War and Reconstruction (HIS-252), and took advantage of the relationship with TESU to get the Cornerstone waived. I rounded out the UL electives with UExcel’s World Conflicts Since 1900 and Louisiana History (HIST-3071) online from LSU Continuing Education. The LSU course took me a solid 4 months to complete so I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone looking for quick and easy UL history credits but it’s a great course, very interesting.

Next up, I fulfilled the Historical Methods requirement online with Fort Hays State University’s HIST-379 and completed the Non-Western requirement by taking the History of the Soviet Union DSST exam. Finally, I completed the Liberal Arts Capstone a few months ago.

There is absolutely no way I would have been able to complete my degree without the help of this forum. I’d like to thank all of you who take time out to help people understand that this goal is attainable without acquiring the crushing debt of a traditional 4-year school. Good luck to anyone setting out on this path, please feel free to reach out to me if I can help in any way.
Would you be willing to share what you used to prepare for the UExcel's World Conflicts Since 1900? I've seen several disparaging reviews about Study.com, and I'm having trouble finding specific feedback on what to use for my preparation! 

I read the recommended books in the UExcel World Conflicts Since 1900 Official Content Guide and then used the practice exams on the UExcel site. I wouldn't trust Study.com with any test prep whatsoever. In my experience they deliberately label some courses as "test prep" for specific exams and once you pay their membership fee to access these courses you're SOL.
Thanks for the feedback!!
----------------------
One other quick question, what percentage did you aim for to feel ready for the exam? I know a 'C' is commonly accepted by colleges, but I'm having troubling finding a solid answer when I try to found out what general percentage correlates to a 'C'. Thank you in advance!
(07-18-2018, 01:02 PM)npk32 Wrote: I finally made it from here - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Questions to graduation. I wanted to share my experience in the hope that it will help someone else as much as this forum has helped me in the past.

To make a (really) long story short I ended up pursuing a BA in History from TESU. I previously attended a traditional 4-year school almost 20 years ago but only completed 58 credits, 55 of which were eligible for transfer to TESU, so I needed to complete 65 non-traditional credits.

I started out by completing 10 credits in about two weeks through free courses from TEEX, NFA, and Kaplan. Since I had a few outstanding math requirements, my next move was to complete College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics through ALEKS. Due to my subpar math skills these courses took a few months to complete but I knocked out 12 credits through Saylor (BUS203, BUS205, BUS208, BUS210) in the meantime so it wasn’t a total waste of time.

At that point, my wife and I welcomed our second child and free time was in short supply so I started my next push towards the completion of my degree about a year later. To fulfill all outstanding general education credits, I plowed through 8 courses from Straighterline in 2 months. These courses included Introduction to Religion, American Government, Business Ethics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, and Western Civilization I.

Wrapping up the Area of Study requirements was a little trickier. I finished Shmoop’s American History I & II as well as Modern European History. Next, I signed up for Study.com, completed History of the Vietnam War (HIS-351) and The Civil War and Reconstruction (HIS-252), and took advantage of the relationship with TESU to get the Cornerstone waived. I rounded out the UL electives with UExcel’s World Conflicts Since 1900 and Louisiana History (HIST-3071) online from LSU Continuing Education. The LSU course took me a solid 4 months to complete so I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone looking for quick and easy UL history credits but it’s a great course, very interesting.

Next up, I fulfilled the Historical Methods requirement online with Fort Hays State University’s HIST-379 and completed the Non-Western requirement by taking the History of the Soviet Union DSST exam. Finally, I completed the Liberal Arts Capstone a few months ago.

There is absolutely no way I would have been able to complete my degree without the help of this forum. I’d like to thank all of you who take time out to help people understand that this goal is attainable without acquiring the crushing debt of a traditional 4-year school. Good luck to anyone setting out on this path, please feel free to reach out to me if I can help in any way.

CONGRATULATIONS
Could you tell me how long ago you took DSST for Rise and Fall of Soviet Union and what you used to study? I'm completing the videos and quizzes on study.com, went through everything on quizlet, as well as cram.com flashcards but I just noticed instacert has 350 some odd questions, did you use all of these?
I studied using Study.com, and a Coursera course called "Russian History from Lenin to Putin". Also used IC some but didn't get close to getting through all of those. Passed by a fair margin (don't remember the exact score), but I am an excellent test-taker. I intended to study more, but wanted to take advantage of the potential for a free retake promo if I had failed.
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Ellecarlson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch