Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finance Degree @ TESU w/Sophia
Hey guys, 

Back when Sophia was doing the online classes for free I did about 5 of them. I even paid for a yearly subscription after. I was pretty much just taking whatever was there, but Can someone help me actually put together a plan?

This is the requirements for a Finance degree at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/finan...stitutions

Which classes, That Sophia offers, should I take towards this? Also, after I complete them what should I do next? I have already done English Comp 1&2, Statistics, Into to finance, macro econ, micro econ, Greek philosophers, and into to ethics. I'm currently about to take the college algebra. 

I'd also like to note that I'm enrolled in Boston University Studying for the CFP and have been for about a year now. My interest is in finance so I ended up starting that program first. After passing there's a requirement to get your 4 year degree within 5 years of passing the CFP exam, but I'd like to do that much faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm not the best at initially putting things together. Much more accustomed to executing a plan that's already in motion.
This is complicated by the new TESU policy that you MUST have 30 RA credits (only the capstone and cornerstone NEED to be from TESU). The cheapest way to do that is to take 8 classes at TEL Learning and/or to take some combination of TECEPs.

Instead of Algebra with Sophia, take the Algebra TECEP.

For now, you can safely take anything listed under "Business" at Sophia. I would also recommend Public Speaking because this is the easiest way to fill that slot. That should get you started. In the next day or two, we should have more solid plans available for you and others in your situation.

You can get a basic idea of what is needed by taking a look at the BSBA Gen. Management plan on the wiki here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan Keep in mind, though, that this has NOT been updated yet to reflect the new 30 RA credit requirement.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • crotique
(12-17-2020, 07:28 AM)rachel83az Wrote: This is complicated by the new TESU policy that you MUST have 30 RA credits (only the capstone and cornerstone NEED to be from TESU). The cheapest way to do that is to take 8 classes at TEL Learning and/or to take some combination of TECEPs.

Instead of Algebra with Sophia, take the Algebra TECEP.

For now, you can safely take anything listed under "Business" at Sophia. I would also recommend Public Speaking because this is the easiest way to fill that slot. That should get you started. In the next day or two, we should have more solid plans available for you and others in your situation.

You can get a basic idea of what is needed by taking a look at the BSBA Gen. Management plan on the wiki here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan Keep in mind, though, that this has NOT been updated yet to reflect the new 30 RA credit requirement.

How do I know which 30 RA credits I need? Or can it be any? That plan you linked is really good, one for finance specifically would help a lot. I'm still pretty confused honestly. Also I was thinking of taking some of the classes on Saylor too as they are transferrable to TESU. However, I read this subreddit post that has me unsure of what credits will "count". https://www.reddit.com/r/SNHU/comments/g..._learning/

Why would the credits not be accepted if they are transferrable? And how do I know if I can transfer them successfully is this is the case?
The 30 RA credits can be anything, though 6 are the capstone and cornerstone so you only need 24 from external sources. So you're better off using cheap RA gen ed credits rather than trying to fill in your AOS credits from more costly sources.

TECEP: These are similar to CLEP exams but they are administered by TESU. A 3-credit TECEP costs $150 and counts as RA credit.

TEL Learning: A self-paced alternate credit provider. However, unlike most providers, completed courses are transcripts to your choice from a list of partner colleges/universities. This makes them RA credit. A 3-credit course from them costs $200.

Saylor: A lot of students have been having issue with them. They have not transferred over to the new Acclaim/Credly system and are not answering emails. You might not be able to get credit after taking one of their exams. Cheap as they are, it's usually advised to skip them.

Sophia: That post on Reddit is misleading, at best. Are you wanting to go to graduate school? If so, you're probably going to want to make sure you have RA credits in specific areas. But this will depend upon the school you plan to attend and what their requirements are. Non-competitive grad schools don't usually care WHERE you took your history courses (for example) when you are applying for an MBA. There are exceptions, though. More information would be needed.

Right now, it is tentatively advised that you get 24 RA credits from TEL Learning and/or TECEPs, take any Sophia courses that don't overlap with what you've already done, and then use Study.com to fill in the rest. dfrecore and/or bjcheung77 should be able to advise you on which SDC courses will specifically work for a BSBA Finance.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Dorothy44, Robbiej
(12-17-2020, 11:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The 30 RA credits can be anything, though 6 are the capstone and cornerstone so you only need 24 from external sources. So you're better off using cheap RA gen ed credits rather than trying to fill in your AOS credits from more costly sources.

TECEP: These are similar to CLEP exams but they are administered by TESU. A 3-credit TECEP costs $150 and counts as RA credit.

TEL Learning: A self-paced alternate credit provider. However, unlike most providers, completed courses are transcripts to your choice from a list of partner colleges/universities. This makes them RA credit. A 3-credit course from them costs $200.

Saylor: A lot of students have been having issue with them. They have not transferred over to the new Acclaim/Credly system and are not answering emails. You might not be able to get credit after taking one of their exams. Cheap as they are, it's usually advised to skip them.

Sophia: That post on Reddit is misleading, at best. Are you wanting to go to graduate school? If so, you're probably going to want to make sure you have RA credits in specific areas. But this will depend upon the school you plan to attend and what their requirements are. Non-competitive grad schools don't usually care WHERE you took your history courses (for example) when you are applying for an MBA. There are exceptions, though. More information would be needed.

Right now, it is tentatively advised that you get 24 RA credits from TEL Learning and/or TECEPs, take any Sophia courses that don't overlap with what you've already done, and then use Study.com to fill in the rest. dfrecore and/or bjcheung77 should be able to advise you on which SDC courses will specifically work for a BSBA Finance.
Sorry! I work nights so I was sleeping when you replied. Thank you for clearing all of that up. 

So I should do these TECPs and TEL classes first? These AOS credits, what is that? Is there a difference in price for gen ed classes and the classes for my major? The exams will give me my 30 RA credits, but what about the other 90? Study.com has more courses I assume? Says a subscription is $200 a month is this what I'm supposed to subscribe to?. Also when I look at the requirements on TESU's website it has a list of classes they offer towards a specific requirement, but it's only classes they offer. How do I know if a class counts if I take it on Sophia for example?

Lastly, who is dfrecore and bjcheung77 and how do I contact them? Also what's a SDC course?
[quote="Royrburns" pid='324991' l
Sorry! I work nights so I was sleeping when you replied. Thank you for clearing all of that up. 

So I should do these TECPs and TEL classes first? What about my electives and gen ed requirements? The exams will give me my 30 RA credits, but what about the other 90? Study.com has more courses I assume? I've yet to check it out as I just woke up. Also when I look at the requirements on TESU's website it has a list of classes they offer towards a specific requirement, but it's only classes they offer. How do I know if a class counts if I take it on Sophia for example?

Lastly, who is dfrecore and bjcheung77 and how do I contact them? Also whats and SDC course?
[/quote]
First off, SDC = Study.com. dfrecore and bjcheung77 are members of this forum. They usually respond to posts like this but I think your request may have gotten buried in the flurry of concern floating around the forum over the past couple of days.

You should definitely at least plan which TECEPs/TEL Learning classes that you'll be doing. It really doesn't matter which, so long as you complete at least 8 of them. It's best if you do general education ones because those are cheap and easy to figure out. Whatever requirements are NOT met by those 8 classes/exams, you can fill in the blanks with Sophia and Study.com. Sophia equivalencies can be found here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(12-17-2020, 09:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote: [quote="Royrburns" pid='324991' l

So I should do these TECPs and TEL classes first? What about my electives and gen ed requirements? The exams will give me my 30 RA credits, but what about the other 90? Study.com has more courses I assume? I've yet to check it out as I just woke up. Also when I look at the requirements on TESU's website it has a list of classes they offer towards a specific requirement, but it's only classes they offer. How do I know if a class counts if I take it on Sophia for example?

Lastly, who is dfrecore and bjcheung77 and how do I contact them? Also whats and SDC course?
First off, SDC = Study.com. dfrecore and bjcheung77 are members of this forum. They usually respond to posts like this but I think your request may have gotten buried in the flurry of concern floating around the forum over the past couple of days.

You should definitely at least plan which TECEPs/TEL Learning classes that you'll be doing. It really doesn't matter which, so long as you complete at least 8 of them. It's best if you do general education ones because those are cheap and easy to figure out. Whatever requirements are NOT met by those 8 classes/exams, you can fill in the blanks with Sophia and Study.com. Sophia equivalencies can be found here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
[/quote]

Thank you! Is there a way I can message these people directly? I haven't really used forums much. 

SDC is the $200/month subscription correct? I think I understand now. So, I'll be taking around 30 classes from sophia and SDC combined. Is this guaranteed to have all that I need?

Again, thank you for all the help!
dfrecore and bjcheung77 are active members of the forum.

SDC is study.com
If you are on a computer (not using the Tapatalk app), look for a post by either member (they are super active so this is easy to find!) and look for the little PM icon in the lower left corner of their post. This allows you to message them directly.

To complete your degree, you will be needing:
6 credits at TESU (cornerstone/capstone) - 2 classes
24 credits from TECEPS/TEL Learning - 8 classes
90 credits from Sophia and Study.com - 30 classes

Study.com is the $200/month one, yes. This allows you to take 2 exams per month. You can take up to 3 more per month for an additional $70 per exam. I am pretty sure that they have everything you need for a Finance degree but I am not 100% certain. It's possible that you may need some UL courses from Davar but I am not sure.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(12-17-2020, 09:30 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you are on a computer (not using the Tapatalk app), look for a post by either member (they are super active so this is easy to find!) and look for the little PM icon in the lower left corner of their post. This allows you to message them directly.

To complete your degree, you will be needing:
6 credits at TESU (cornerstone/capstone) - 2 classes
24 credits from TECEPS/TEL Learning - 8 classes
90 credits from Sophia and Study.com - 30 classes

Study.com is the $200/month one, yes. This allows you to take 2 exams per month. You can take up to 3 more per month for an additional $70 per exam. I am pretty sure that they have everything you need for a Finance degree but I am not 100% certain. It's possible that you may need some UL courses from Davar but I am not sure.

Gotcha. Ok, on the equivalents page, it says that Approaches to studying religions is the TESU equivalent to Intro to religion (REL-100), but here: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2...-after#top it says that world religion is REL-405 and that's what Id need. So would this not count towards this requirement? Same thing for ethics. Sophia has into to ethics, but under ethical leadership there isn't an option for that.

I'd also like to ask about electives. Can I just take any of the Sophia courses to fill in the gaps no matter what they are as long as I finished the requirements? I'm using this as a guide.

https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/finance

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 657 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 158 4 hours ago
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 189 4 hours ago
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,576 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 620 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 546 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 280 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 255 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 409 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM