Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding testing locations for clep
I live in NC and I have found it difficult to find a testing location for CLEP and DSST exam. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance
Marlin
(02-07-2019, 10:55 AM)res0uuga Wrote: I live in NC and I have found it difficult to find a testing location for CLEP and DSST exam. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance
Marlin

There used to be a lot more CLEP testing open centers but it seems like they're becoming harder to find everywhere. I live in in a huge metro area (San Francisco, CA) and most of the local CLEP test centers are now gone, or closed to the public (at schools who only offer them only to their own students). In this area, the only open CLEP testing centers are now an hour or more drive away (much more with traffic).

I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the proctoring fees are not enough to cover the costs of keeping the test centers open? All we can do is speculate at this point. You could probably contact the College Board CLEP support line to inquire about local test centers and ask why they're so hard to find lately.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-07-2019, 10:55 AM)res0uuga Wrote: I live in NC and I have found it difficult to find a testing location for CLEP and DSST exam. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know why?

Thanks in advance
Marlin

I just went logged into my clep account and searched for North Carolina test centers and found 5 pages of sites.

these are just a few of them (all of these are listed as Open to anyone)

Appalachian State University
287 Rivers Street John Thomas Hall, Room 245, Boone, North Carolina 28608

BCY Testing Solution - Charlotte
8801 J.M. Keynes Drive Suite 150, Charlotte, North Carolina 28262

BCY Testing Solution - Greensboro
2309 W. Cone Blvd. Suite 240, Greensboro, North Carolina 27408

Campbell University - Ft. Bragg
1-3571 Knox Street H Bldg., Fort Bragg, North Carolina 28307

Catawba Valley Community College
2550 Hwy. 70 E. Hickory, North Carolina 28602

Central Piedmont Community College
1141 Elizabeth Ave. Central High Building room 248, Charlotte, North Carolina 28204

East Carolina University
ECU Testing Center Brewster D102, Greenville, North Carolina 27858-4353

Elizabeth City State University
1704 Weeksville Road CW Griffin Center; Suite 500; Campus Box 814, Elizabeth City, North Carolina 27909

--------------------------------

these were also listed but do NOT use them 

A+ Testing & Assessment Center - Durham
200 Meredith Drive Suite 106, Durham, North Carolina 27713

A+Testing & Assessment Ctr
1100 Logger Court E-101, Raleigh, North Carolina 27609

clicking on the "Visit Website" link next to their name takes you to a scam web site that tries to install an extension in Chrome and loads a bunch of popups in Internet Explorer  
the popups say "Your computer has been disabled. Call blah blah blah for support." 

total scam
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • Sapientes
(02-07-2019, 02:06 PM)bluebooger Wrote:

Thanks in advance
Marlin

I just went logged into my clep account and searched for North Carolina test centers and found 5 pages of sites.

1141 Elizabeth Ave. Central High Building room 248, Charlotte, North Carolina 28204

East Carolina University

1704 Weeksville Road CW Griffin Center; Suite 500; Campus Box 814, Elizabeth City, North Carolina 27909

clicking on the "Visit Website" link next to their name takes you to a scam web site that tries to install an extension in Chrome and loads a bunch of popups in Internet Explorer  
the popups say "Your computer has been disabled. Call blah blah blah for support." 

total scam

(02-07-2019, 02:06 PM)bluebooger Wrote:

Thanks in advance
Marlin

East Carolina University

total scam

Thanks Blueblogger and Merlin,
I called the clep website and they didn't have much information for me as to why this has happen. I live in near Raleigh, NC and I have been driving to Charlotte and Greensboro to take my exams. However, I was able to connect facilities that I wasn't able to in the pass today. NC Central answered their phone and actually emailed me information. Johnson Community College answered the phone as well. Trust me I have been trying to find a place closer than 75 miles away for a while now. I just needed to vent.
Thanks Again
[-] The following 1 user Likes res0uuga's post:
  • Sapientes
I actually have the opposite, here in San Diego. All of a sudden, there are MORE testing centers, not fewer. Univ of Phoenix was added and there are 4 campuses around me. I can now go 15 minutes away instead of an hour. Unfortunately, I got my degree and no longer need CLEP exams...bummer!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-07-2019, 11:51 AM)Merlin Wrote: There used to be a lot more CLEP testing open centers but it seems like they're becoming harder to find everywhere. I live in in a huge metro area (San Francisco, CA) and most of the local CLEP test centers are now gone, or closed to the public (at schools who only offer them only to their own students). In this area, the only open CLEP testing centers are now an hour or more drive away (much more with traffic).

CLEPs are hard to use in the SF Bay Area CC/state colleges. UC don't take them at all. CSU will take them sometimes to meet their local GE requirements. Some CC might let you use it on their local AA/AS GE requirements. But you can't use it on IGETC. Unfortunately, the best use for CLEPs is when a junior transfer student fails a class or two and and doesn't have the 60 credits anymore. To avoid being rescinded, they grab a CLEP or two to get regain the 60 credits.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
(02-08-2019, 08:36 PM)TrailRunr Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 11:51 AM)Merlin Wrote: There used to be a lot more CLEP testing open centers but it seems like they're becoming harder to find everywhere. I live in in a huge metro area (San Francisco, CA) and most of the local CLEP test centers are now gone, or closed to the public (at schools who only offer them only to their own students). In this area, the only open CLEP testing centers are now an hour or more drive away (much more with traffic).

CLEPs are hard to use in the SF Bay Area CC/state colleges. UC don't take them at all. CSU will take them sometimes to meet their local GE requirements. Some CC might let you use it on their local AA/AS GE requirements. But you can't use it on IGETC. Unfortunately, the best use for CLEPs is when a junior transfer student fails a class or two and and doesn't have the 60 credits anymore. To avoid being rescinded, they grab a CLEP or two to get regain the 60 credits.

Just to clarify this - ALL CA CC's and CSU's will take CLEP to satisfy some of their courses.  It's required at the state level, and written into the docs, mostly because people were having such a hard time graduating from CSU's in 4 years that they had to do something to try to fix that.  Enter CLEP.  

Since the IGETC is for UC's, then no, they won't accept CLEP's since no UC's take CLEP exams.  The IGETC is a document that shows how you can guarantee your credits transfer to the UC system.  But the CSU Advising guides do show how CLEP's will transfer to CSU's.  You need to know ahead of time whether you're going to a UC or CSU to decide which guide to use, and whether or not CLEP's will work for you.

Many CC's (maybe all, I don't know) will also take DSST exams - none of which would be accepted at either UC or CSU.  But if you wanted a quick way to meet some requirements for an AA/AS/AAS, you could easily take a few DSST's.  No, they wouldn't transfer; but they will still count towards your CC degree, and since you don't need an AA/AS/AAS to transfer (you just need 60cr), you can get your remaining credits in other ways.  I would only do it as an easy add-on to your transfer requirements, if it wasn't going to hold up your transfer itself.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Injury to tailbone leads to finding of... bjcheung77 0 105 03-22-2024, 01:59 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 265 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 474 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,802 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 830 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,262 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Daemen & Total Testing Alpha 6 888 02-16-2022, 11:29 PM
  Help finding a thread (or info) on FAFS reconsideration based on lower 2020 income studyingfortests 2 619 11-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,620 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP