Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finished my first class in years!
You guys, I just had to come here and share! I found this place on accident almost six years ago. I have continued to come here and read posts and follow along. Sophia's 1 year membership deal finally pushed me over the edge. I literally just finished my very first college class in years! I'm SO excited! I don't have anyone to share this with but wanted to tell someone so I hope it's ok that I posted it here.

A piece of paper is preventing me from getting a better job and moving up. THIS forum has made it possible for me to get started. I just can't believe it. One down. Many to go this year. Thank all of you who post here regularly helping people. It really does make a difference.

Woohoo! I DID IT! YAY! Now, I just have to figure out how to add this completed class to my signature. :-)

Sophia - Conflict Resolution 92%  3 credits
[-] The following 10 users Like ms_butterfly's post:
  • al329, allvia, degreeseeker9, hsfamfun, LongRoad, Muldoon, P226mem, rachel83az, StoicJ, wgriffin81
That's awesome! I think Conflict Resolution might have been the first "non-traditional" credit I earned. That or Developing Teams were the first. Then The Institutes ethics course. I remember being pretty darned excited about it, too!

Hope to hear more as you progress.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 2 users Like StoicJ's post:
  • ms_butterfly, samiam
It seemed like a pretty non-threatening first course to finish. I tried to do the Accounting course but got pretty intimidated about half way through so decided to add this for a mental push. I think focusing on a few non-core (anything other than math, English, etc.) type classes is what I need to get warmed up. Those regular general ed classes aren't going anywhere. My goal is to try and finish a course (maybe 2) per month for this year. We'll see how it goes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ms_butterfly's post:
  • rachel83az
(09-19-2020, 10:05 PM)ms_butterfly Wrote: It seemed like a pretty non-threatening first course to finish. I tried to do the Accounting course but got pretty intimidated about half way through so decided to add this for a mental push. I think focusing on a few non-core (anything other than math, English, etc.) type classes is what I need to get warmed up. Those regular general ed classes aren't going anywhere.  My goal is to try and finish a course (maybe 2) per month for this year. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, that's a good plan I think. Get the confidence up. I did some Sophia courses just a few weeks ago. Stats, accounting, macro, an ethics, and the greek philosophers one. I really like the format.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • ms_butterfly
Sophia is a great way to get back into learning. Just wait, you'll find yourself missing taking classes soon enough once you've finished. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ms_butterfly
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. (Which, of course, begs the question why anyone would WANT to eat an elephant.)

That's how you'll get your degree. One course at a time. You have a plan, work it. If you falter, get back up and start again. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll get that piece of paper.

Good luck.
[-] The following 2 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • ms_butterfly, Muldoon
Environmental Science is an easy one to take at Sophia.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 434 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 685 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Scientist dies at 29 years of age... bjcheung77 4 410 10-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Mobile phone use in class bjcheung77 0 250 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 334 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NYU professor fired... Organic chem class too hard! bjcheung77 12 987 10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Thank you for the many years of useful information vetvso 2 485 09-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  What is/was your most hated class and how have you dealt with it? rachel83az 8 869 08-29-2022, 01:53 AM
Last Post: splirow
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,143 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling