Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finishing a Degree 14 Years Later (Advice much needed)
Lightbulb 
Hi everyone!

I’m searching for some advice on finally finishing up a Bachelor’s degree. Preferably a degree in IT or CS, but I’m completely open to any other suggestions that’d be more cost-effective.

Budget: I’d like to keep under $8,000 total.
Timeframe: Something that can be completed within a year would be great! Up to 2 years is okay too.

Schools on my radar:

CUNY SPS - Bachelor of Science in Information Systems. I have applied here, and found that I’d need 8 courses to complete my degree here. 104 credits transferred in; filling quite a few requirements. Here’s a breakdown a quick breakdown of what’s still needed:

College Option (3 credits) 
IS 250 - Computer and Network Security (3 credits) - COMPTIA Security+ could fulfill this.
IS 320 - Systems Analysis and Design
IS 350 - IS Strategy, Management, and Acquisition - Saylor’s CS 302 can be subbed for this. But I haven’t been successful with that exam.
IS 374 - Business Process Design and Workflow Analysis
IS 499 - Info Systems Capstone
IS 380 - Geographic Information Systems

Here’s a link to the list of alternative credits they accept: https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/credit-pr...e-learning

Total Cost: ~$10,000. Closer to $9,000 if I complete at least 2 courses per term. 
Total length of time: ~1 year.

2. UMPI’s BLS with an MIS concentration: - Haven’t applied yet. Pending the advice I receive.

3. Thomas Edison State University - Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Haven’t applied yet. Pending the advice I receive.

Here’s what I have so far in terms of credits/credentials:

South University (They’re on the Quarter hour system) - All regionally accredited credits:

Degree: Completed the Associate of Science in Information Technology. Earned in 2009. I mentioned this because WGU wouldn’t accept any of these due them being over 5 years old. Not sure if any other schools have that same restriction.)

Courses (C or higher) - 4 quarter credits each:

UVC 1000 - Strategies for Success
ENG 1001 - Composition I
ITS 1101 Foundations of Information Tech
ITS 1101 Information & Communication Systems
ITS 1104 Human-Computer Interface
ITS 2111 - Multimedia Web Development
BIO1020 - Biology I (no lab attached)
ITS 2103 - Networking Fundamentals
ITS 2104 - Programming Logic
BUS 2023 - Business Communications
ITS 2110 - Database Design & Development
MAT 1001 - College Algebra
ENG 1002 - Composition/Literature II
PSY 1001 - General Psychology
BUS 1101 - Introduction to Business
ENG 2001 - Composition III
FIN 2005 - Introduction to Finance
ITS 2105 - Programming I
SPC 1026 - Public Speaking
ITS 1103 - Ethics & Info Tech
ITS 2106 - Programming II
MGT 2037 - Principles of Management

Florida International University (regionally accredited, 3 semester hours each):

Degree (Not completed): Bachelor of Science in Information Technology)

AST 2003 - Solar System Astronomy (no lab attached)
BSC 2023 - Human Biology
COP 3835 - Designing Web Pages
ANT 3241 - Myth, Ritual, Mystics
CGS 2518 - Computer Data Analysis
ENC 3213 - Professional/Technical Writing

Certificates:

Google Data Analytics
Google IT Support
Google Project Management

ACE Credit:

Non so far.

Overall, I’m indecisive/lost. How should I proceed? I can provide any other details need in regards to credits and such. Many thanks!

If it matters, I live in Colorado now. State schools aren't really all that affordable. Learned that the hard way. I would probably have gone to Daytona State if I were still a Florida resident. Very reasonable tuition, and a IT Bachelors.
Did CUNY SPS drop their online rate to $350 a credit for non-NY students starting winter 2023 or am I reading that wrong?
https://sps.cuny.edu/financial-aid-and-t...ergraduate

Their IT program is interesting because they give LOTS of credits for Google certs!
https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/credit-pr...e-learning

You get 12 credits for Google IT support, and 12 credits for Google Data Analytics Professional which 21 credits can be applied to the major and 3 go into electives.

IT Degree
https://sps.catalog.cuny.edu/programs/IS-BS

The downside of CUNY SPS is they only take CLEP, DSST, or Salyor ACE credits and not Sophia or Study.com?

Also, they limit ACE credits you can transfer in and require RA credit. 
https://sps.cuny.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admission
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
@Nigmatix, Tiny fonts! I just cleaned that up... Your introduction is a mix/match of the template and last post addendum here, you may want to provide a bit more details as to your commitments, study habits, etc and anything more you can think of: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

If you're looking to stay in IT, have you thought about a competency based degree program from PUG BSIT/MSIT combo? If you're not, you can try the UMPI BABA PM&IS instead. It really depends on a few factors and what your situation is, if you fill in the template and last post addendum, we'll get a bigger picture...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you were starting from scratch, a Comp Sci degree at TESU would be possible for right around $9-10k. Since you already have RA credit, that can be lowered to $5-7k.

I would recommend applying to TESU and sending in your two RA transcripts. That will probably eat up your two evaluations, but it will allow you to see where they put those credits. Based on the results, you can then make plans for what Sophia/Study.com/etc. classes to finish with.

PUG is a lot of writing, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them unless you cannot stand exams. UMPI also has writing, but not nearly as much as PUG. The PM/IS degree isn't really a tech degree, though. It's more for people who manage the tech people.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davewill, origamishuttle
It looks like DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity will meet the IS 250 as well.

Also, will DSST Technical Writing work for College Option?

Saylor's exams are tough.

I would go to CUNY over UMPI BLS as it's a better degree.

TESU is an option. I would make a plan and see how far you are from that degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
I agree with rachel83az - Apply to TESU for the BACS and send in your transcripts, from both colleges you listed AND your ACE credits (you need to get your Google certs with Credly, as you in fact do have ACE credits - they are just that) - send those as well.

But as LevelUp pointed out finishing up at CUNY is a good plan - You're quite close to done based on what you've listed here, and again those Google Certs are ACE credits.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-24-2023, 10:24 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Did CUNY SPS drop their online rate to $350 a credit for non-NY students starting winter 2023 or am I reading that wrong?
https://sps.cuny.edu/financial-aid-and-t...ergraduate

They did drop the reduced online tuition and as a NYS taxpayer, I'm happy that they did. Our taxes were subsidizing discounted tuition for out of staters. State and City taxes fund CUNY so I never understood why online out of state people were given the benefit of our taxes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP
I decided to make degree plans for the 2 most hackable degrees at CUNY SPS

CUNY School of Professional Studies
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CU...al_Studies

CUNY SPS BS Information Systems Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CU...egree_Plan

CUNY SPS BS Business Degree Plan

Who would want this degree?
  • CUNY SPS is ranked 11th online degree in U.S. News
  • If you are located near the east coast
  • If you have a large number of transfer credits and like doing CLEPs/Certs
Let me know if you see any errors or if there is something I should add.
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • allvia, Nigmatix, origamishuttle
(05-25-2023, 04:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I decided to make degree plans for the 2 most hackable degrees at CUNY SPS

You rock! Also, you may be starting a new trend...  Big Grin
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Updating my post with the template:

What kind of degree do you want? Computer Science, Information Technology, or Information Systems.

Current Regional Accredited Credits: Florida International University and South University (broken down above).  18 RA Semester credits from Florida International University. 88 Quarter credits from South University.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 

1. Google IT Support Professional
  2. Google Data Analytics
  3. Google Project Management
Any Certifications or Military Experience? None

Budget: Up to $8,000

Commitments: I work full-time, but have no kids.

Dedicated time to study: I can generally commit to about 4 hours per evening for studying.

Timeline: I’d like to finish up within 1 year.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None. The degree will be paid for out of pocket.

Other preferences: I’m okay with a balanced mix of papers and exams; leaning more towards the exam side.

(05-25-2023, 07:56 AM)LevelUP Wrote: It looks like DSST Fundamentals of Cybersecurity will meet the IS 250 as well.

Also, will DSST Technical Writing work for College Option?

Saylor's exams are tough.

I would go to CUNY over UMPI BLS as it's a better degree.

TESU is an option. I would make a plan and see how far you are from that degree.

Totally missed the Fundamentals of Cybersecurity DSST. Is there any advantage of completing it over the Security+ Cert?

The Technical Writing DSST would fulfill 1 of the college options, COM 210. But that requirement was filled my Business Communications course from South University. The only other option I've found so far was using Saylor's PHIL 102. It transfers in as PHIL 110 at CUNY SPS. But yes! Their exams are near impossible.

CUNY SPS is looking to be the better option overall.

(05-25-2023, 08:08 AM)allvia Wrote: I agree with rachel83az - Apply to TESU for the BACS and send in your transcripts, from both colleges you listed AND your ACE credits (you need to get your Google certs with Credly, as you in fact do have ACE credits - they are just that) - send those as well.

But as LevelUp pointed out finishing up at CUNY is a good plan - You're quite close to done based on what you've listed here, and again those Google Certs are ACE credits.

Trying out TESU is worth a shot. Is there a write-up available for their application process?

(05-25-2023, 04:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote: I decided to make degree plans for the 2 most hackable degrees at CUNY SPS

CUNY School of Professional Studies
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/CU...al_Studies

CUNY SPS BS Information Systems Degree Plan

CUNY SPS BS Business Degree Plan

Who would want this degree?
  • CUNY SPS is ranked 11th online degree in U.S. News
  • If you are located near the east coast
  • If you have a large number of transfer credits and like doing CLEPs/Certs
Let me know if you see any errors or if there is something I should add.

This is awesome! Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 73 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 160 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 137 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 77 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,730 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 196 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,552 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 123 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 213 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32