Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Finnish courses review
I'm currently busy with quite a few Finnish credits to fulfil the RA requirements at TESU and here are my thoughts on what I've completed thus far.

XAMK: 
1) Lets start with the free video game creation cert. There are 8 theory modules and 5 practical modules (6th one on its way). The theory modules usually consist of some form of power point or videos that needs to be watched and then the assessments can be one of three things; 1) quiz (not proctored), 2) essay (ranges from 400-800 words), and one module had 3) a practical design course where you design your own game world and character. The theory modules go by fairly quickly and you can probably get them out of the way in a couple of days. The practical modules consist of videos where you are explained how to create a base of a game (snake game, text adventure, etc.) with the assignment usually asking you to add something to the base game that you created during the videos. These can take a while, especially if you have no prior coding experience, however they are fun.

2) XAMK also offers other nonstop start courses (self-paced), however they are only set to start during January/February, I already enrolled into a few of the free courses and will give an update on them, when I start.

Metropolia:
I'm currently enrolled in a free course (IT services sales and marketing), just because I wanted a feel for the moodle platform before paying for a course. The metropolia course seems to be divided into modules with 4-ish sections. 
1) Content- usually where they put the powerpoint or sources that you'll use for that module.
2) Article- research article surrounding the content, may be asked to do an article review of around 800+ words. (A bit uncertain whether or not these article reviews are mandatory or not.)
3) Discussion board- where you can make discussion posts (doesn't seem to be mandatory)
4) Assignment- (which for this course at least) Only says that you must complete all of the things listed above (do the readings, etc. (in other words, there is no assignment)) 

Then at the end of the modules there is a mandatory exam, which counts for 40% of your final mark. (unsure whether or not this is proctored or not.)

I've been a bit behind schedule, since South Africa has been in very bad loadshedding for the last month. (loadshedding- fancy word to say that our government basically puts off our power (electricity) for hours on end, multiple times a day.) We're currently on stage 6 loadshedding, which essentially means we don't have ANY electricity for over 10+ hours a day. Which as you can imagine definitely puts a toll on the amount of work I can do for my courses. 

I'm leaving for vacation in a couple of days and then when I come back I have to move all my things into a new apartment, so I won't be able to update much until I'm settled in.

As for my experience with the Finnish educational system: It has been great. The instructors are very nice and WANT to help. It is cost-efficient. I haven't payed a dime and I already have quite a few credits racked up. Sometimes I do feel like the content isn't organized amazingly and other times it does feel a tad outdated, but overall it's fairly solid.

Attached is a sc of how the transcript looks like that you receive from XAMK. (Edited out my personal details).

They send out an updated transcript automatically for every new course that is completed through them. I have already completed all of the theory modules (module 10-18), however as you'll see on the transcript not all of them are on there and that's just because certain modules (design/essay modules) have not been graded yet.

Attached Files
.jpg   Edited transcript-XAMK.jpg (Size: 82.16 KB / Downloads: 64)
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
[-] The following 3 users Like Personherebb9's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az, spohara
If it's more than 2-3 weeks and they still haven't graded your video game creation essays at XAMK, you can drop the instructors an email. They get so many essays that they do, occasionally, get overlooked.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Further update:

I recently moved into a new apartment and can finally start getting back on track with my courses.

All of my XAMK video game creation courses (that I've completed) have been graded and I have thus received my credits for them. I believe I currently have 11/25 credits completed (all the theory modules). I'll be starting or continuing with my coding modules over the next couple of weeks.

As for metropolia:
I have written my final exam for IT services sales and marketing. It was not proctored. Despite me completing the exam on the 9th December, I still have not received any confirmation whether or not I've passed the exam or if it's even been graded. The exam consisted of 40 questions, each being multiple choice with between 4-6 options. The exam took me around 50 minutes to complete and was fairly straight forward. The content was a bit old and I do think it needs to be updated a bit to fit better into the modern IT world, but a lot of the basic ideas were well covered and explained.

I have since found out that the article reviews are mandatory and I am planning on completing those within the week. Discussion posts are not mandatory.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Personherebb9's post:
  • indigoshuffle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 185 Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,484 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 1,020 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 724 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 470,200 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,951 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,642 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,063 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,109 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 603 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer