Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formulating my plan
Okay, I graduated with an AA in Business from a in-state community college in 2015.

I want to get a BA as quickly and inexpensive as possible. I've heard Excelsior is the best to go through, but how do I know what my previous classes (93 credits) will count for, and which tests are remaining?

I'm open to driving to centers to test out, doing things online, or whatever I need to do. I just need help formulating my plan.
First of all, I wouldn't say Excelsior is the best. It certainly isn't the best if you want inexpensive. Depending on the degree you're after and what classes you've taken previously, a BSBA from TESU is probably the cheaper, faster option.

The only way to know what your current classes will translate to is to enroll and have your transcripts evaluated. We can sit here and guess all day, but it means nothing if it's not mirrored by the school you choose to go with.
B&M
Introduction To Computer Information Systems
French I

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra
PreCalculus

SOPHIA
Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Foundations Of English Composition
Conflict Resolution
College Readiness

JobaJoba Wrote:Okay, I graduated with an AA in Business from a in-state community college in 2015.

I want to get a BA as quickly and inexpensive as possible. I've heard Excelsior is the best to go through, but how do I know what my previous classes (93 credits) will count for, and which tests are remaining?

I'm open to driving to centers to test out, doing things online, or whatever I need to do. I just need help formulating my plan.

First step is to get your credits evaluated from whichever school you want to go to. I would recommend TESU or Excelsior. You might want to have them evaluated by both schools and see what gets you the closest. They we can help you formulate the rest of your plan.
Second step to do while your credits are being evaluated, look at the degree requirements from both schools and find the courses you definitely don't have completed yet. (I.E - Marketing, You can prep and take the Marketing CLEP while credits are being evaluated.)

Also if you don't have all you Math Courses done, get on ALEKS and do your Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and PreCalculus, also Stats if you haven't completed yet.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Post your credits (are they quarter hours or semester hours?) and we can give more informed advice.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
TESU will be the cheapest and fastest for the BSBA because they let you take an exam for their capstone, rather than a 3-month course.

COSC is second for price.

EC will by far be the most expensive, because they have a 6cr capstone for the BSBA, which bring the cost up significantly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
KayV Wrote:Post your credits (are they quarter hours or semester hours?) and we can give more informed advice.

FAL13 COLL 101 COLLEGE STRATEGIES 4.0 3.0
ENGL& 101 ENGLISH COMPOSITION I 3.9 5.0
MATH 147 BUSINESS PRECALCULUS 3.4 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 13.0 Cr Earn 13.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 48.5 GPA 3.73

WIN14 ENGL& 102 COMPOSITION II 3.4 5.0
HIST& 148 U.S. HISTORY III 2.4 5.0
MATH& 148 BUSINESS CALCULUS 1.5 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 15.0 Cr Earn 15.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 36.5 GPA 2.43

SPR14 ECON& 201 MICROECONOMICS 3.2 5.0
MATH& 146 INTRO TO STATISTICS 1.7 5.0
NUTR& 101 NUTRITION 3.3 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 15.0 Cr Earn 15.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 41.0 GPA 2.73

SUM14 ECON& 202 MACROECONOMICS 3.9 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 5.0 Cr Earn 5.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 19.5 GPA 3.90

FAL14 ACCT& 201 PRINC OF ACCOUNTING I 4.0 5.0
CHEM& 121 INTRO TO CHEMISTRY 3.2 5.0
PSYC& 100 GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY 3.8 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 15.0 Cr Earn 15.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 55.0 GPA 3.67

WIN15 ACCT& 202 PRINC OF ACCOUNTING II 2.0 5.0
BUS& 201 BUSINESS LAW 2.8 5.0
CMST& 220 PUBLIC SPEAKING 3.4 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 15.0 Cr Earn 15.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 41.0 GPA 2.73

SPR15 ACCT& 203 PRINC OF ACCOUNTING III 2.9 5.0
CMST 150 MULTICULTURAL COMMUNICAT 4.0 5.0
SOC 150 SOCIAL INEQUALITY 3.4 5.0

Qtrly: Gpa Cr 15.0 Cr Earn 15.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 51.5 GPA 3.43

Cum: Gpa Cr 93.0 Cr Earn 93.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 293.0 GPA 3.15
Clvl: Gpa Cr 93.0 Cr Earn 93.0 P/S Cr 0.0 Grpts 293.0 GPA 3.15
dfrecore Wrote:TESU will be the cheapest and fastest for the BSBA because they let you take an exam for their capstone, rather than a 3-month course.

COSC is second for price.

EC will by far be the most expensive, because they have a 6cr capstone for the BSBA, which bring the cost up significantly.

CGaboury Wrote:First of all, I wouldn't say Excelsior is the best. It certainly isn't the best if you want inexpensive. Depending on the degree you're after and what classes you've taken previously, a BSBA from TESU is probably the cheaper, faster option.

The only way to know what your current classes will translate to is to enroll and have your transcripts evaluated. We can sit here and guess all day, but it means nothing if it's not mirrored by the school you choose to go with.

Okay, I'll look into TESU instead. Thanks for the tip. It doesn't have a awful reputation I need to know about or anything (compared to Excelsior) at least right?
TESU is a state university, reputation is fine. COSC also has a good rep.

Here is a spreadsheet showing what your courses should come in as at TESU. I'm not 100% certain because of the quarter system - for Acct I/II/III for instance, will TESU count those as Accounting I/II, or Accounting I/II plus Intermediate Accounting or something of that nature. Same with US History III - how would that look in comparison to a semester system which normally has US History I/II only.

But, assuming that they count them as I posted them (and you'll only know after you apply and get an eval), this gives a good example of what you could do to get your degree at TESU, using mainly SL (spreadsheet 1) or Study.com (spreadsheet 2). Some courses are only available through Study.com.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">JobaJoba TESU 2016 BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 55.69 KB / Downloads: 10)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:TESU is a state university, reputation is fine. COSC also has a good rep.

Here is a spreadsheet showing what your courses should come in as at TESU. I'm not 100% certain because of the quarter system - for Acct I/II/III for instance, will TESU count those as Accounting I/II, or Accounting I/II plus Intermediate Accounting or something of that nature. Same with US History III - how would that look in comparison to a semester system which normally has US History I/II only.

But, assuming that they count them as I posted them (and you'll only know after you apply and get an eval), this gives a good example of what you could do to get your degree at TESU, using mainly SL (spreadsheet 1) or Study.com (spreadsheet 2). Some courses are only available through Study.com.

Oh my god, thank you.

A couple questions:

Can I mix and match SL/Study.com/Schmoop or do I need to keep it as you listed?
TESU says it only take 80 transfer credits while applying, so are the other 13 just wasted?
Which (SL or Study.com) do you prefer?

I'll send them my transcript ASAP.
The 80 credit limit is in semester hours, your 93 quarter hours would be converted to semester hours and as long as it is under the 80 semester hours it would be okay. The 80 semester hour limit only applies to transfer credit from CC. It does not apply to other transfer credit sources. For 4 year colleges it is 120 semester hours and for ACE/NCCRS recommended sources it is 90 semester hours.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 293 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 183 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 411 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 372 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 344 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 785 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  Need a plan to get an Associates fast and cheap smartiepants35 14 1,521 02-26-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: smartiepants35
  Help Please - UMPI Degree Plan Linz 7 629 02-19-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle