Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free APPLICATION from Havard, but it is for needs base student
(06-19-2021, 09:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: I agree that the thread title is false. I also agree that Harvard can afford to cover more tuition, but wealthy schools often do cover tuition for research-oriented graduate programs that have assistantships. With professional programs, such as the MBA, law school, and the health professions, there's usually little aid. Harvard's selectivity almost ensures a high graduation rate, and Harvard is known for grade inflation. It's debatable whether Harvard or any other Ivy League school is really that much more difficult than the top public universities that are also highly selective. Many people go from top public schools to Ivy Plus schools for graduate and first professional degrees. A student who scores low on the GMAT or GRE is likely not getting into Harvard's MBA program, and we know that these tests strongly correlate with socioeconomic background. For outliers like myself, who were very poor and managed to score high on graduate admissions tests, Harvard might be a possibility. 

I don't know if you have this impression that I was lower middle class or working class, but my family was among the poorest of the poor. Like often not having anything to eat poor or about to have our electricity cut off poor. My mother was a single parent and couldn't work because of severe mental health disorders. So, I am fully aware of the difficulties, but we're talking about graduate school for people who already have bachelor's degrees. They may or may not be making much, but they are likely not dirt poor. If you're homeless, entering a full-time MBA program at Harvard is probably the last thing on your mind.

That's another barrier to low income folks - the GRE and GMAT. They're not free either. If they REALLY wanted low income students then they would remove all of the barriers. 

Earlier you mentioned employer tuition reimbursement. Few places would offer enough for this amount of tuition. Plus you'd have to keep that job while attending Harvard full time. Super hard as a grad student especially if they are offered a fellowship. 

I don't have any impression of your family. I didn't state my background as a contest. I know what it's like to be really poor - so poor you're homeless. Not something I'm proud of or happy about. My mother has severe mental health issues and physical disabilities. She's someone who NEVER should have had children. She's not proud of anything most of us have done. She couldn't be bothered to congratulate me when I FINALLY graduated with my bachelor's degree. She has zero concept of what it took to do it. I'm starting grad school next week and haven't told a single person in my family because there's no point.
(06-18-2021, 10:32 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: https://poetsandquants.com/2021/06/17/ho...chool-news

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
 I am so sorry i miss the application on the title. i do not know how to change the title
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(06-19-2021, 09:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 09:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: I agree that the thread title is false. I also agree that Harvard can afford to cover more tuition, but wealthy schools often do cover tuition for research-oriented graduate programs that have assistantships. With professional programs, such as the MBA, law school, and the health professions, there's usually little aid. Harvard's selectivity almost ensures a high graduation rate, and Harvard is known for grade inflation. It's debatable whether Harvard or any other Ivy League school is really that much more difficult than the top public universities that are also highly selective. Many people go from top public schools to Ivy Plus schools for graduate and first professional degrees. A student who scores low on the GMAT or GRE is likely not getting into Harvard's MBA program, and we know that these tests strongly correlate with socioeconomic background. For outliers like myself, who were very poor and managed to score high on graduate admissions tests, Harvard might be a possibility. 

I don't know if you have this impression that I was lower middle class or working class, but my family was among the poorest of the poor. Like often not having anything to eat poor or about to have our electricity cut off poor. My mother was a single parent and couldn't work because of severe mental health disorders. So, I am fully aware of the difficulties, but we're talking about graduate school for people who already have bachelor's degrees. They may or may not be making much, but they are likely not dirt poor. If you're homeless, entering a full-time MBA program at Harvard is probably the last thing on your mind.

That's another barrier to low income folks - the GRE and GMAT. They're not free either. If they REALLY wanted low income students then they would remove all of the barriers. 

Earlier you mentioned employer tuition reimbursement. Few places would offer enough for this amount of tuition. Plus you'd have to keep that job while attending Harvard full time. Super hard as a grad student especially if they are offered a fellowship. 

I don't have any impression of your family. I didn't state my background as a contest. I know what it's like to be really poor - so poor you're homeless. Not something I'm proud of or happy about. My mother has severe mental health issues and physical disabilities. She's someone who NEVER should have had children. She's not proud of anything most of us have done. She couldn't be bothered to congratulate me when I FINALLY graduated with my bachelor's degree. She has zero concept of what it took to do it. I'm starting grad school next week and haven't told a single person in my family because there's no point.

We have very similar backgrounds because my mother was abusive and died in jail, and I don't speak to most of my family members. 

For anyone who needs it, ETS offers a fee reduction program for the GRE.

https://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/fees/reduction/

GMAT offers a fee waiver program, but it's much more limited and administered through universities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This is a pretty normal thing through top business programs. For example, when I applied to Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business, I participated in an Admissions Event and was awarded an application fee waiver, which saved me $225. Most of these business schools do not charge high prices for the application fee in an effort to make money but instead it pushes students to further research their schools of interest to make sure the school would be a good fit for them before applying.

You’ll see a large portion of the Top 25 B-Schools offer an application fee waiver for all applicants if those applicants jump through a couple of small hoops.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,071 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 227 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 417 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Most affordable online Master in Finance for international student David1477 23 2,291 12-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Online MBA- potential student Love2LearnAlways 29 2,786 09-19-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,427 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,456 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5