Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gen Ed - Will these courses work? Help Requested
(03-17-2018, 09:01 AM)oddy Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 07:41 AM)allvia Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 06:33 AM)Gloddy Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 10:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 09:00 PM)Gloddy Wrote: I back again asking for thoughts and guidance.

I am down to 1 Gen Ed Elective required. As a reminder, I am working on a BSBA in Finance from TESU.

Here are the courses I have completed for this section already.
CMP-202
MUS299
PSY-370
HIS-114
PSY-210

I am looking for the quickest 3 final credits.  I was just looking through the study.com transfer to TESU guide page and came across the following courses:

Education 103: Classroom Management (70 Quizzes)
Education 104: Differentiated Instruction (56 Quizzes)
Education 105: Special Education History & Law (41 Quizzes)

Can anyone confirm these will fit into my Gen Ed Electives area?  41 Quizzes sounds right for me. Smile

Thanks
Gloddy

Nope, EDU courses won't go into the Gen Ed - they are Free Electives.
Thanks.  I still don't quite get that.  Where are Free Electives?  On my eval, I have two sections that say electives and neither of them say free.  I have section F under General Education Electives. This is where I need the course. I also have a section 4, after the finance requirements that says electives. I have this section complete.

Thanks
Gloddy

Section 4 are the "free electives" - they are the courses that don't fit anywhere else. Now I talk of Free, as in no $ options - Have you already taken the TEEX courses? They are Free and they will fall into the section F: Additional General Education Electives area (They'll give you 4 credits if you take two of them). Another option is to just take one of those for two credits, and then take the Free Sophia The Essentials of Managing Conflict course for 1 credit.  You could complete that 2nd option today; can't get much quicker than that.  The link details for those are off the Free Credits Wiki page: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit

Update for clarification: On the TEEX the only two that came in as Gen Ed for me were the higher two levels not the 'for everyone'; the ones they place in F: Gen Ed are as follows;
Cyber 201 - Cybersecurity for IT Professionals (2 credits)
Cyber 301 - Cybersecurity for Business Professionals (2 credits)

THANK YOU for such a thorough explanation.  I looked at the Wiki last night and wasn't sure exactly which courses to take and where they exactly fit. 

I like the idea of the TEEX courses because they sound interesting. 

Again, thank you and everyone here.  I really appreciate the help.
Gloddy

I just registered for TEEX. It is very confusing and the material doesn't seem to be laid out in an organized fashion.  Have others experienced this?  I had to fill out multiple pages of registration for one portion of one course? (EC AWR138 0078)

Anyone have a guide for dummies on this?  I didn't even see the material.

No I am stuck on a dashboard page and can't find the page where I searched for the course to begin with. Terrible design.

If I want to take
Online for IT Professionals (Cyber 201)
and
Online for Business Professionals (Cyber 301)

do I have to take each course under them?

AWR138 Network Assurance
AWR139 Digital Forensics Basics
AWR173 Information Security Basics

AWR169 Cyber Incident Analysis and Response
AWR176 Disaster Recovery for Information Systems
AWR177 Information Risk Management
AWR178 Secure Software

When I get into the course it is making me take a "pre-test".  I have no idea what the answers are to this test.  Where is the course material?

Based on everyone talking about quick and efficient this is, I feel I must be doing something wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Never mind. This is ridiculous.  I just went through the pre-test and literally selected "A" for every question and scored a 16.  It still hasn't brought me to the material. There has to be a better option.

I guess I am back to the drawing board.

Gloddy.

[url=https://teex.org/Pages/Class.aspx?course=AWR178&courseTitle=Secure Software][/url]
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
I thought the TEEX courses were not my cup of tea and skipped the free credits. I'd rather pay for something that might be a little easier, then spend a lot of time and effort on something harder/not in my wheelhouse.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-17-2018, 10:23 AM)Gloddy Wrote: If I want to take
and

AWR138 Network Assurance

AWR178 Secure Software

Yes, you do. To get credit for each of the 3 courses (and earn 6 cr) you need to complete 10 different sub-courses. Yes, you have to register for each of those courses individually as well.

From the perspective of needing several sub-courses to earn credit for a specific course, it is a terrible design. However, most of their courses appear to be standalone, so the website is geared toward providing those individual courses. The cyber courses are more involved and require multiple sub-courses to provide all the relevant material (and be college creditworthy).

(03-17-2018, 10:23 AM)Gloddy Wrote: When I get into the course it is making me take a "pre-test".  I have no idea what the answers are to this test.  Where is the course material?

Never mind. This is ridiculous.  I just went through the pre-test and literally selected "A" for every question and scored a 16.  It still hasn't brought me to the material. There has to be a better option.

The pre-test is there to gauge your pre-knowledge of the material, as the target demographic for these tests are people who are working for emergency services or are already working in IT and should have some exposure to the material as well. It doesn't matter what you get on the pre-tests but it can be handy for reference when you're taking the actual tests since the questions are drawn from the same pool.

It took me a few weeks to complete all the courses, but I didn't do them all at once.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-17-2018, 04:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought the TEEX courses were not my cup of tea and skipped the free credits.  I'd rather pay for something that might be a little easier, then spend a lot of time and effort on something harder/not in my wheelhouse.

I have to agree. I am o.k. not knowing the material, but making it very challenging to find the actual material is just too much for me.

Any chance you know if Library Science 101: Information Literacy will fit in my Gen Ed Elective (Section F)?  I saw a thread stating it is only 41 quizzes.

Gloddy

(03-17-2018, 05:14 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 10:23 AM)Gloddy Wrote: If I want to take
and

AWR138 Network Assurance

AWR178 Secure Software

Yes, you do. To get credit for each of the 3 courses (and earn 6 cr) you need to complete 10 different sub-courses. Yes, you have to register for each of those courses individually as well.

From the perspective of needing several sub-courses to earn credit for a specific course, it is a terrible design. However, most of their courses appear to be standalone, so the website is geared toward providing those individual courses. The cyber courses are more involved and require multiple sub-courses to provide all the relevant material (and be college creditworthy).

(03-17-2018, 10:23 AM)Gloddy Wrote: When I get into the course it is making me take a "pre-test".  I have no idea what the answers are to this test.  Where is the course material?

The pre-test is there to gauge your pre-knowledge of the material, as the target demographic for these tests are people who are working for emergency services or are already working in IT and should have some exposure to the material as well. It doesn't matter what you get on the pre-tests but it can be handy for reference when you're taking the actual tests since the questions are drawn from the same pool.

It took me a few weeks to complete all the courses, but I didn't do them all at once.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. This is just not what I am looking for. I just need 3 quick credits for my final Gen Ed Elective.  Free is great, but I am more interested in speed. 

Have a great night!

Gloddy

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
(03-17-2018, 07:54 PM)Gloddy Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 04:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought the TEEX courses were not my cup of tea and skipped the free credits.  I'd rather pay for something that might be a little easier, then spend a lot of time and effort on something harder/not in my wheelhouse.

I have to agree. I am o.k. not knowing the material, but making it very challenging to find the actual material is just too much for me.

Any chance you know if Library Science 101: Information Literacy will fit in my Gen Ed Elective (Section F)?  I saw a thread stating it is only 41 quizzes.

Library Science 101 isn't officially part of the TESU transfer agreement as yet, but it has been evaluated at TESU as LIS-101 Intro to Library Resources and fulfills the Information Literacy GenEd requirement. Since it can fulfill the Info Lit GenEd, that suggests that it should qualify as a GenEd elective as well... alternatively, it could potentially take over the Info Lit requirement and whatever you currently have in that slot can become a GenEd elective. That is the theory anyway.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Gloddy
(03-18-2018, 01:15 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Library Science 101 isn't officially part of the TESU transfer agreement as yet, but it has been evaluated at TESU as LIS-101 Intro to Library Resources and fulfills the Information Literacy GenEd requirement. Since it can fulfill the Info Lit GenEd, that suggests that it should qualify as a GenEd elective as well... alternatively, it could potentially take over the Info Lit requirement and whatever you currently have in that slot can become a GenEd elective. That is the theory anyway.

I have REL-277 for Info Literacy.  What you are saying is if I take Library Science it would replace this here and then REL-277 would be re-slotted down to the Gen Ed Elective.  I like this idea.

Do you recommend I email academic advising to confirm or will this raise a flag?
Thanks
Gloddy

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools
(03-19-2018, 06:13 PM)Gloddy Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 01:15 AM)Merlin Wrote:

I have REL-277 for Info Literacy.  What you are saying is if I take Library Science it would replace this here and then REL-277 would be re-slotted down to the Gen Ed Elective.  I like this idea.

Do you recommend I email academic advising to confirm or will this raise a flag?
Thanks
Gloddy

Yes, you should be able to do that, in theory at least.... you'd have to confirm with advising.

Once you complete and TESU evaluates the course, you'd have to ask advising to assign REL-277 to your Diversity requirement or leave it as a GenEd or free elective, and then have them assign LIS-101 to meet your Info Lit requirement. Though LIS-101 should also be a GenEd elective so the only reason to do so would be because it looks cleaner that way.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(03-19-2018, 06:13 PM)Gloddy Wrote: I have REL-277 for Info Literacy.  What you are saying is if I take Library Science it would replace this here and then REL-277 would be re-slotted down to the Gen Ed Elective.  I like this idea.

Thanks
Gloddy

There is absolutely no reason to have them move these around, as they serve the same purpose.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-19-2018, 09:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 06:13 PM)Gloddy Wrote: I have REL-277 for Info Literacy.  What you are saying is if I take Library Science it would replace this here and then REL-277 would be re-slotted down to the Gen Ed Elective.  I like this idea.

Thanks
Gloddy

There is absolutely no reason to have them move these around, as they serve the same purpose.

Agreed. If you needed REL-277 to meet the Diversity GenEd requirement then this would make more sense, but if it's just for the GenEd elective it shouldn't matter. Unless for some reason TESU says LIS-101 will not work as a GenEd elective, but I find that unlikely since it meets Info Lit requirements.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(03-19-2018, 10:56 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 09:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Thanks
Gloddy

Agreed. If you needed REL-277 to meet the Diversity GenEd requirement then this would make more sense, but if it's just for the GenEd elective it shouldn't matter. Unless for some reason TESU says LIS-101 will not work as a GenEd elective, but I find that unlikely since it meets Info Lit requirements.

O.K. I emailed academic advising to ask. I will report back with their answer.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I already have 17/43 quizzes done from other courses.  Would like to get this done on Saturday.

Still Need:
N/A

B&M Schools

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,450 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 999 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 713 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,482 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,923 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,049 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,094 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 718 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat