Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get college credit for knowing a Language
So I speak four languages as someone that comes from South Africa, but since they're fairly uncommon Languages, I just assumed there was no way for me to get college credit for speaking them. After one quick google search I found this on TESU's page: https://blog.tesu.edu/speak-a-foreign-la...dit-for-it

I speak: (Native Languages) 1) Afrikaans 2) English (Intermediate Language) 3) isiXhosa (Xhosa) (Low-to-intermediate) 4) Dutch.

A few scrolls down and I saw: American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Exams.
These are 20-30 minute interviews with someone who fluently speaks that Language and they access you on different areas of your spoken communication skills. These OPI interviews seems to have ACE credit recommendations. https://www.actfl.org/assessment-researc...ssessments

You can earn up to 6 UL credits and 6 LL credits, there are over 100+ languages listed.

I can take the Afrikaans and Dutch OPI. Being native in Afrikaans I expect to receive the full 12 credits and around 6 LL credits for Dutch.

If anyone else here speaks any other languages besides English, definitely consider this as an option. (Prices per OPI may differ) 
Even if you speak Spanish, this is something to consider, 30 minutes instead of taking Spanish I and Spanish II through Sophia/Study.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Personherebb9's post:
  • suzycupcake
Yeah, we discuss the ACTFL exams a lot here. Unfortunately, not all languages are ACE-recommended (even if they offer an ACTFL exam). Afrikaans is on the OPI, but nothing else. Same with Dutch. The Reading & Listening exams only offer "English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish." as language options.

And, unfortunately, most Americans don't speak even Spanish (or French, if they live close to Canada). Spanish at Sophia is way easier for these people than trying to take an ACTFL exam.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Here's what you can get ACE-recommended credit for through ACTFL/LTI:

OPIc (computerized) $108
- Arabic, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Pashto, Persian-Farsi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese

OPI (live person) $165
- Afrikaans, Akan-Twi, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Baluchi, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Cebuano, Chavacano, Czech, Dari, Dutch, English, French, Ga, Georgian, German, Greek, (Modern), Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hmong-Mong, Hungarian, Igbo, Ilocano, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kashmiri, Kazakh, Kikongo-Kongo, Korean, Krio, Kurdish, Lao, Malay, Malayalam, Mandarin, Mandingo-Bambara, Nepali, Pashto, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Sindhi, Sinhalese, Slovak, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Tausug, Telugu, Thai, Tigrinya, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Wolof, Wu and Yoruba

LPT $51
- English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish

WPT $108
- Albanian, Arabic, Chinese-Cantonese, Chinese-Mandarin, English, French, German, Greek (Modern), Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian-Croatian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese

RPT $51
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, we frequently tell people to do the ACTFL if they're at all fluent. We've had some people come in to TESU with 48cr (12cr of UL, 36cr of LL) of Spanish after taking the 4 ACTFL exams, the CLEP exam, and the SDC Spanish in the Workplace course (none of these duplicate each other at TESU).

BTW, a few years ago, the OPI was worth even more than it is now - I was telling a friend who is fluent in Spanish to take it when it was worth 24cr, then again when it went down to 18cr, and now it's 12cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Arto
(10-28-2022, 04:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's what you can get ACE-recommended credit for through ACTFL/LTI:

OPIc (computerized) $108
- Arabic, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Pashto, Persian-Farsi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese

OPI (live person) $165
- Afrikaans, Akan-Twi, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Baluchi, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Cebuano, Chavacano, Czech, Dari, Dutch, English, French, Ga, Georgian, German, Greek, (Modern), Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hebrew, Hiligaynon, Hindi, Hmong-Mong, Hungarian, Igbo, Ilocano, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kashmiri, Kazakh, Kikongo-Kongo, Korean, Krio, Kurdish, Lao, Malay, Malayalam, Mandarin, Mandingo-Bambara, Nepali, Pashto, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Sindhi, Sinhalese, Slovak, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Tausug, Telugu, Thai, Tigrinya, Turkish, Turkmen, Uighur, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Wolof, Wu and Yoruba

LPT $51

WPT $108
- Albanian, Arabic, Chinese-Cantonese, Chinese-Mandarin, English, French, German, Greek (Modern), Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian-Farsi, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian-Croatian, Spanish, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese

RPT $51
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, we frequently tell people to do the ACTFL if they're at all fluent.  We've had some people come in to TESU with 48cr (12cr of UL, 36cr of LL) of Spanish after taking the 4 ACTFL exams, the CLEP exam, and the SDC Spanish in the Workplace course (none of these duplicate each other at TESU).

BTW, a few years ago, the OPI was worth even more than it is now - I was telling a friend who is fluent in Spanish to take it when it was worth 24cr, then again when it went down to 18cr, and now it's 12cr.

Do you think I would be able to take one of these English exams towards my English Major? As what would you think it would come in as?
In progress:

Completed:
[-] The following 1 user Likes Personherebb9's post:
  • After-Strategy-2416
Alas, the English degree is more like "English Literature" and not "English the Language". So, I don't think it would count at all.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-28-2022, 05:01 PM)Personherebb9 Wrote: Do you think I would be able to take one of these English exams towards my English Major? As what would you think it would come in as?

ACTFL exams are for foreign language.  In the US, English is not considered a foreign language, so no school will bring it in for you.

Generally, English degrees are English Literature degrees, not English language degrees.  I mean, maybe you can take Linguistics and things like that, but they're not looking to give you credit for being able to speak English.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
And since you mentioned in your other thread you wanted to get an English major in addition to Computer Science, you really don't need English to go teaching the language. I would add a TEFL certification or two in addition to your upcoming degree, get some tutoring experience as well if you wanted. They need experienced teachers/tutors for these positions and any degree will be fine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-28-2022, 09:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: And since you mentioned in your other thread you wanted to get an English major in addition to Computer Science, you really don't need English to go teaching the language.  I would add a TEFL certification or two in addition to your upcoming degree, get some tutoring experience as well if you wanted.  They need experienced teachers/tutors for these positions and any degree will be fine.
Yes, I'm well aware that an English major isn't absolutely needed to get a job in educating English. (As I've mentioned on a thread before, my plan is to finish my education, go to Korea for a year or two to teach English (study masters part-time through UNISA while doing this) and then look into immigration options to the USA/Canada/New Zealand/Netherlands)

Now for the Korea English teacher positions, they don't require you to have an education/english degree (any 3/4 year degree will suffice), however these degrees often start at a higher pay-scale among other small benefits. 

I already have a TEFL and TESOL certification and 3 years of tutoring experience, so I'm not too worried in regards to that.

Selfishly I also just love reading, hence why I wanted to add English.
In progress:

Completed:
Basically, I didn't know you already took a Groupon TESOL and the I-to-I TEFL, it's all good, if you haven't started, I would have recommended similar ones from this link here, there are a few accrediting agencies I recommend them to fall under: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid337354
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,486 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,532 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,925 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 496 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 728 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP