Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing Communications TECEP
Hi all,
I am planning on taking the Marketing Communications TECEP sometime next week, and I wanted to get some advice for the 6 essays. Does anyone know the types of questions they will be asking for these? Or is there a special format they're looking for? I don't really know how to prepare for these essays and I would appreciate any advice or tips you guys may have. 
Thanks!
Specifically, I don't recall, but if you have taken other TECEPs or Davar exams, then you have an idea of what they're like. If not, most of the TECEP PDF files give you one example of an essay question and a decent essay answer. So I would recommend you see the Marketing Communications PDF, but also glance and some other PDFs for other exams.

In general, you can also use strategies for other essay exams. Sometimes the textbook might have some open-ended questions which you can try to write a short essay for, or you can try to identify some other possible topics and what you would include in your answer. This will depend on how much practice you have with other essay exams in the past.

If you follow the topics in the PDF, you should be prepared.

(03-07-2018, 10:47 PM)Ideas Wrote: Specifically, I don't recall, but if you have taken other TECEPs or Davar exams, then you have an idea of what they're like. If not, most of the TECEP PDF files give you one example of an essay question and a decent essay answer. So I would recommend you see the Marketing Communications PDF, but also glance and some other PDFs for other exams.

In general, you can also use strategies for other essay exams. Sometimes the textbook might have some open-ended questions which you can try to write a short essay for, or you can try to identify some other possible topics and what you would include in your answer. This will depend on how much practice you have with other essay exams in the past.

If you follow the topics in the PDF, you should be prepared.

Okay, thanks for the advice.   I will definitely use it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bringit's post:
  • Ideas
I was lost because there is very little information about this TECEP outside of the test description, I think the reason for this is because people took the test and passed with very little problem.

I passed recently with a high 70%.

The following are not questions from the test but rather specific terms, details and ideas from each category given in the Test Description that will greatly diminish your ability to reason your way through the multiple choice questions and make elaborating on a subject for any of the 6 essays difficult if you don't know them.

VALS Information.
Term for when a brand is given human characteristics.
Know all the Marketing Management Philosophies.
"Reach" in the context of Marketing Management.
What the hell widgets are.
Know under what circumstance are you dealing with "Powerful Buyers."
Know what "Split List Experiments" are.
What questions you can answer with only Descriptive Research.
Know what qualifies as "Deceptive Advertising" what you can legally get away with and why.
Know what "Sticky" means in the context of website design.
Know the Black Box model of consumer behavior.
Know how to implement an Interactive Marketing System for yourself, not just explain what it is.

The test questions you will run into will very rarely ask you direct questions about any subject and you will have to use reason and a bit of imagination, for example if you use a streaming service you know that less and less people are watching TV so if you're an increasingly desperate TV company how can you make more money with less viewers?

Some of the essay questions will lead into one another so if the first essay question is about designing widgets and you haven't a clue what a "widget" is then it may not matter that you know every other subject.
In my case I wrote two essays based on what I thought widgets were, the ads you get as Google search results, and as a result I wrote about websites when I was supposed to be writing about phone apps. Because TESU doesn't give feedback just a grade I will never know, it wouldn't surprise me if every point I lost on that test was from that pair of essays.

As for studying I almost want to write that you can just Google everything in the Test Description and get a good understanding of each subject, however this may deny you the critical details I've written above.
I used the suggested textbook and focused on taking notes of each subject in the description, however I ignored the articles and real world examples that I suspect may have helped me during the essays.

TL;DR: This test will lure you into the sewer, kick the crap out of you and break your spine all the while talking down to you if you don't know some of the more ancillary terms.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MoppyPuppy's post:
  • suzycupcake
Thanks for this thread and your insight, Moppy Puppy.  In order to satisfy the AOS for BA in communications I would have to take this TECEP.

D
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Communications SilentWarrior 6 284 03-19-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Kingaley
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 627 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  TECEP limits? oldguy4associate 4 468 10-24-2023, 04:19 PM
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 714 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 576 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TECEP midnite123 7 717 08-08-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,174 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 940 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1