Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into WGU MBA
rebel100 Wrote:Been awhile since I was there so there could be changes but my experience was truly self paced. They consider most masters as 2 year programs even though you can work much faster. So "sufficient academic progress" must be made in every semester. This generally means you divide the number of hours in a program by 4 semesters. Fir the MBA that means 33/4 or about 8-9 credits per semester. If you fail to meet that in a given semester they will most likely just have your advisor make you aware and encourage you to get caught up. Thing is, I got to select (with their advice) what class would come next. Not a single class took more than 6 or so weeks and I would just plan things out so that hard classes paired with easy classes so I always hit my mark. Heck I was in such a hurry to get going that my advisor sent me the rubric for two classes before my official start date and on day one I submitted the first assignments.

I also took a few months off in the middle so I could hit my employer reimbursement....I was going too fast.

I am pretty sure the accounting Masters is only a year long process. I have no issues thinking If I could complete this in two semesters but personally I think I would do a smaller portion of the classes these are the classes it lists

Edit : The breakdown in the course outline has it as 3 courses per term with 1 course in term 4. There is no reason this should take 4 terms lol.

Advanced Financial Accounting
Management Communication
Advanced Managerial Accounting
Advanced Auditing
Financial Management
Advanced Tax Concepts
Fraud and Forensic Accounting
Strategic Management
Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting
Accounting Research

I don't see an issue with doing 4 courses in term one and then 6 in term two. However I still haven't decided on what I want to do. I feel like half of those classes would be easy so I could probably do like 6/7 the first then have a slower second term.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I agree, every experience I've ever heard of indicates that a 1 year time frame is manageable for all of WGU's Masters. The only exception being if your trying to line up a third party such as a teaching or nursing internship. It is really hard to get folks to understand that the competency model, unhinged from traditional time frames opens up great possibility.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html