Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into a masters?
Has anyone on these forums been successful in being admitted to a masters program? Currently I'm enrolled at TESC pursuing a BA in Liberal Studies and plan on earning about two-thirds of my credits through CLEP and DSST. I was wondering if that amount of credits earned through nontraditional means would be a road block to getting into a standard brick and mortar institution.
Good question, I am curious too.
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

Traditional: (43)

FEMA: (13)

Military: (70+)
Well, I earned 30 credits of my Business Administration degree through CLEP and DSST exams. Another 27 credits were earned just from military credit as well. Personally, I had no problem enrolling in courses for Saint Leo's online MBA or at Duquesne University for a M.S. in Leadership & Business Ethics.

It may have helped that both schools are pretty military friendly, so they are used to seeing a lot of credit by exam. Here's a list of online degrees used to dealing with military in any event:

http://www.dantescatalogs.com/DEDC/DEDCNav.asp
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
I'm new to this forum, but I wish to offer some encouragement. I completed both my AS and BS from Regents College (now Excelsior College). Since that time I entered into and completed a masters in Human Resource Management and Labor Relations from the New York Institute of Technology (B&M), as well as a masters from Audrey Cohen College (now Metropolitian College, also B&M) in the Administration of Human Services. These achievements allowed me to be accepted into the University of Southern California's DBA program, but I had to drop out due to ill health. When it comes to applying for the program you want, if you don't ask, you won't get.
My College Plus! coach graduated from TESC and was accepted at both Florida and Illinos. He ended up choosing Illinos because they offered him a partial scholarship based on the way he got his BS!

Farmerboy
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
my BS was over 2/3 credits from testing and military credit and I am starting my masters at mountain state on the 7th of April.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
my friend graduated from TESC last year with a BA in liberal studies (2/3 of her credits were earned through testing). She then applied to a Master's Program, and was accepted into Temple University. I'm hoping that she's the rule rather than the exception. She did have to take around 5 actual classes before they admitted her, but i think that was just to satisfy the prerequisites for her graduate program (she wasn't going for a MALS)
Any Ph.D acceptances?
[SIZE="2"]BSBA Marketing Thomas Edison State College-63/120[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]College Math-66, College Algebra-64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-67, U.S. History I-66, U.S. History II-61, Information Systems & Computer Applications-59, Biology-61, DSST Introduction to Business-61, Introductory Sociology-65, Introductory Psychology-52, Principles of Microeconomics-54, Principles of Macroeconomics-47, Principles of Marketing-68, Financial Accounting-47, Introductory Business Law-62, Principles of Management-70, DSST Principles of Supervision-64, DSST Organizational Behavior-68, English Literature-61[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFFORDABLE Masters Degree in Teaching/Education? acamp 14 3,853 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: miah
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,701 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters at TESU TESUDayne 0 957 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: TESUDayne
  NAU PL CIT BS then masters? pluggingalong 3 859 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Attaining Masters Degree after Bachelors from TESC City_Being 15 1,514 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Masters degree from traditional university after Bachelors from Excelsior or TESC bs13 28 2,471 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Last Post: NAP
  Does it matter what degree I get before pursuing a Masters in Security Studies? soliloquy 13 1,224 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM
  Most lucrative Masters Degree soliloquy 4 612 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
  If only TESC took these for credit. I'd have a masters. 29palms 7 1,522 08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Last Post: 29palms
  No GPA from TESC??? How will pursue a Masters w/o a GPA??? HELP!!!! Doctor H 11 1,283 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Doctor H